Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think it is mind boggling that anyone could possibly think that Zach should be the starter next season.
    Time to cut bait, this team could be pretty good next year with a mediocre journeyman QB while searching for a real QB of the future.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  2. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, I forget if it was 3rd and 5 or 4th and 5, but ZW dropped back and could have run for the first up the middle and just airmailed it when pressure came from the edges. He's also not helping the line when he drifts to the right or left; right into pressure.

ZW reminds me of watching my buddy's kid's pee wee team. Their QB is the best kid on the field and just runs around in the backfield until the defenders get tired as shit chasing him and runs for 20 yards. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in the NFL.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I wont be defending him, but he should get the next 9 games.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I dunno about your second paragraph but I agree with the first one. He’s dying to break the pocket because he’s much more familiar with where the rushers are. He has a very bad feel for the pocket. The tackles push rushers to the outside so the QB can step up and he’s rolling right into it.

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's not honest. MLF was fine today, we had open receivers all game. Zach kept overthrowing them and throwing dumb interceptions at the absolute worst times to do so.

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

How do we know mike white is not better?

7. rockyusmc2003

Wilson sucked, absolutely. 15 rushes didn't help the offense, MLF also to blame. Both sucked.

8. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

My concern is that Zach’s 1st look is G. Wilson. His 2nd is Tyler Conklin.

Not sure if he even gets to the 3rd behind this O-line or if he’s even able to process going from 2 to 3………

9. rockyusmc2003

Just an observation from watching Wilson and PeeWee football, you didn't miss much lol.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Inserting White as the starter next week is a bad move.Last year Buffalo beat them 45-17 and exposed him as nothing more than a back-up. It would also create more back page nonsense and throw the team into even more upheaval.

I’m extremely disappointed in Zach’s performance today. Those silly back foot throws and tossing every other pass OB to me is a sign of panic and he it also seems he’s told to do that which means the coaching staff doesn’t completely trust him.

The game turned on JFM’s boneheaded penalty. Had that play stuck the Jets win. However Zach takes the blame for the offense.

I say leave him in for Buffalo. The Jets will be underdogs to begin with - I personally don’t expect a win, hell even if Zach plays well the Bills can still win - they are the better team. Play to win the game - run the offense as if you’re playing …. The Bills. Whether that calls for a pass happy attack or ball control to keep Allen off the field. Any potential change at QB should be done during the BYE week.

Look the Jets are 5-3. Almost everybody here would have signed up for that during training camp. What hurts is the opportunity was there and the Jets blew it. This was a winnable game. The Jets in my opinion are a better team than NE. As of now there are winnable games coming up and Zach probably isn’t going to throw 3 INTs every week.

But things are coming to a head. Overall this is a young, talented team and both players - and I’m sensing coaches - are beginning to lose their patience with Zach. Some here on the board blame Zach - others blames the coaches/game plans. This is JD’s problem and it’s looking like a bigger problem every week. I don’t know what the future holds but I’m really curious to see what solutions the Jets have in regards to the QB position going forward whether it’s with Zach or without …

KY Jets Fan and Brook! like this.
  11. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

I'm old school, and perhaps the economics of NFL football don't allow for it anymore - especially with respect to QBs taken at or near the top of the draft, but if you are not ready to play, or your play any given game stinks, you get the bench. Sit down, learn, and in the meantime, let someone else get the opportunity to play.

Up until it seems ~15-20 years ago, it was not unusual to see starting QBs (even the very best) benched for any particular game they stunk in. The backup would come in, for better or for worse, and the starting QB would still start the next week, the week after that, and so on, unless they proved unable/not ready to consistently lead the team from the position.

For young QBs, you typically sat for a year (or two) before you even had opportunity to regularly start.

The frustrating thing watching Zach is he has physical talent - but, in terms of having a command of the game, game situations, and the risk/reward calculation, he's badly lacking. Compounding things further, there does not appear to be any in-game accountability for poor performance for him. Three terrible interceptions, yips when throwing even the shortest passes, a failure to be calm and recognize where his best target opportunities are - that calls for a benching - especially when your team still has a fighting chance to win. He needs to be accountable. He needs to sit. He needs to figure it out, and then he deserves another chance to start. Until then, see what any one or combination of Flacco, White, Streveler, etc. can do. The kid cannot be allowed 60 minutes to burn down a game when it was clear to anyone with eyes halfway through the 3rd Qtr that he was the biggest liability on the team today.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the smart people here have been saying this for like 20 months ;)

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You’re not wrong but as I alluded to in my post, most of Zach’s mistakes so far in his career can be attributed to being a young QB in the NFL. Essentially all young QBs in the NFL make dumb mistakes, it’s just how things go when you try to transition to playing against the best of the best.

Which is why I was even willing to give him a pass on the first one. I can’t do it on the other 2 though.

The book is not written on Zach but the early returns on him are not good, to say the least.

apjbfc, IIMeanDeanII and SOJAZ like this.
  14. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Stop blaming MLF. Zach sucks. He’s worse than Darnold, Sanchez at this point in their careers with way better offensive talent around him.

He’s a bum. cut bait and move on. He can be a bench warmer moving forward. We need to trade or sign for a QB.

Fanbase deserves better. We stuck thru the rebuild, it looks promising from JD. We can’t let this cute QB mess it up for the org. He’s not it. That’s very clear. He hasn’t played a full 4 quarters ever of quality NFL Qbing. Stop forcing it. Let it go. He’s a college QB drafted too high, which happens. Not the first.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets should have drafted a QB in the mid round this year and should be drafting a QB every year, or every other. It's like the lotto, you can't win if you don't play.

I was hoping they'd draft Zappe, he reminded me of Minshew and I thought he could be one of those spark backups.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Its the same OL as the last three games... At this point, its not the OL. When you chuck a ball up into the playing field off your back foot - like he did several times today - it shows bad decision making, period. When you have an alley to run and make yards you take it, not run backwards and do a pirouette. He is not seeing the entire field and is slow to process things; thus, holding the ball to long. I said in another post that he was one of if not the worst QB in the league when pressured. With no running game teams will be in his face... well today was an example of what to expect. Didn't we have the same dam issues with SAM.

IMHO, he is simply not good enough to carry the team... will that change, I don't know either way... but have not see enough overall improvement as of this writing to say he is the answer. Indeed, I leaning the other way.

papapump likes this.
  17. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

He continues to answer elusively, and make it all about him, dropping hints at....perhaps issues are others not him.

This is what he is and it will NEVER change.

18. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Connor's not wrong. And I don't want to hear any crap about it's the coaching staff's fault for not designing the entire offensive scheme around his "strengths." He's missing open receivers, he's sprinting backwards and lobbing the ball into coverage instead of out of bounds, etc.

19. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

They only ran the ba

Jets only rushed 15 times the entire game. Hard time rushing?

20. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Pure and simple, I would argue that the thread I started last week was 100% accurate, especially the part about knowing how to throw the ball out of bounds. He's simple an Asshole with the football and he seems very unwilling to accept the criticism based on his very nonchalant press conference. I think his job be in jeopardy moving forward. I think he should have to prove himself every week for the rest of the season. I also think JD should bring in a QB in the offseason and Zach should be in a QB competition.

IIMeanDeanII and James Hasty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.