Zach Ain't Back... (Traded to Denver)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Acad23, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

As good as JD has done this off-season so far, where he clearly is not asleep at the wheel like last one and is fighting for his career, he is no Houdini. And it would take Houdini to get rid of Lazard at this point.

SOJAZ likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's nonsense...

The real crime is the Jets inability to develop quarterbacks.

SOJAZ, LAJet, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Tyrod Taylor?
    If Tyrod Taylor played his career with the Jets he would rank:
    Completion %: 3rd
    Pass yards: 6th
    Pass TD: 4th
    TD/ INT ratio: 2nd
    We came out ahead.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with your second sentence! It's astounding and maddening that they've failed at this for decades! We'd all love for them to draft a guy to sit and learn behind Rodgers, but unless they figure out how to develop a QB, including creating a system that fits his strengths, and acquiring players to ensure his success, "sitting and learning" won't be nearly enough.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This one is on the front office. Zach Wilson was way overdrafted and underevaluated. Bill Walsh couldn't have developed him

Ralebird, KWJetsFan, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... Underevaluated & overdrafted for sure.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Just saw on NFL.com…Zach traded to Denver. We get Denver’s 7th rounder and we give them Zach and our 6th rounder. Plus we also pay part of his salary (didn’t specify how much).

Article also said now 4 of the 5 first round QBs from that draft have now been traded, all for day 3 picks…Trey Lance got the 49ers a 4th round pick from Dallas…that was the biggest haul. Chicago got a 6th I think that can become a 4th based on playing time. Mac Jones got NE a 6th.

So Zach netted the worst return of the bunch…just a swap from 7th to 6th round plus we have to pay salary.

Jeez what a freaking nightmare bust.

but seeing that list, how the heck did the Niners get the best haul for a guy who hasn’t played more than a handful??? They reemed Dallas pretty hard on that one.

But at least we can get this disaster behind us and move the fuck on.

Will be interesting to see if Sean Payton can make anything out of him…that situation is great for him…I guess we’ll see just how much of this failure was on Zach and how much coaching can make a difference…

SackRecord99 likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On one hand, the Jets did Zach a huge disservice by throwing him to the lions as a rookie with a rough shod Oline and barely any weapons, plus an entire new regime with a rookie OC. They keep doing that and expecting a different result.

On the other hand, probably the only QB I have seen the Jets draft in the modern era that was less prepared to play NFL QB was Christian Hackenberg. Zach did things I hope to never see another Jets QB do again. He would have been better if placed in a better situation, but a lot better? I'm not sure I'll ever believe that.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think you got the draft slots backwards...

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Sorry I’m traveling abroad and didn’t see we already had a thread on this…

Mods…feel free to delete or merge!

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well we have had PLENTY of busts in our history…to me, Zach is probably the worst but man Vernon Gholston is up there also…that dude did absolutely NOTHING. Not a single sack. Awful. But QB is the more important position and Zach was bottom 2 or 3 each year

SackRecord99 likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach's problem wasn't his arm... it was his head.

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It’s not as good as other teams got…we are paying some part of his salary and we give up a 7th so it’s only a pick swap

I think it’s the worst haul of any of those QBs traded…even Trey Lance got the 49ers a 4th

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

With his accuracy and the thin air his throws are going to end up in the crowd. Kids gonna be going home with souvenirs like it’s a baseball game.

Acad23 and abyzmul like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Lance had an extra rookie year when he was traded, so it's not apples to apples. Zach's salary is higher than two others though. Jax gave up a 6th and will pay 2.75 salary to Jones. Almost identical to what Denver spent and will pay for Zach. You could argue a little better since we had so spend a 7th very end of draft, but ... it's in the ballpark.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…nitpicking really…real issue is that we used the 2nd overall on him and after 3 years of him being literally bottom 3 in the league, we got back peanuts…late round pick swap and partial salary dump. Can’t remember that really tall QB a few years ago that was traded just to get the salary off the books where the team gave up the QB AND a higher pick for a lower pick back, Osweiller I think was the QB? That was the worst.

But this is up there and I do think it’s worse than NE got for Mac, or Chicago got for Fields, and definitely worse than what SF got for Lance. So yah.

Still…glad to move on and happy to get anything, really.

But man, so now for next year, we are going to need help at OT, WR, AND QB depending on what we do in this draft.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I disagree vehemently with this actually. Not only was the opportunity cost higher with Zach but we ended up losing the QB we had, wasted 2 full seasons trying to build the team around him (nobody builds a whole team around a DL guy) Plus had to pivot to the Aaron Rodgers emergency frequency that so far now with one year of hindsight ended up flushing another entire season down the toilet as well as having the likes of Cobb, Lazard and whoever else on the payroll......

Gholston didn't do anywhere near the amount of damage that the Zach Wilson boondoggle has done. And thats if you stop the tape right now. I mean.... I'm hopeful Rodgers has something left but this may actually get worst YET before it gets better. Anything that goes wrong from here with AR is still directly traced back to completely fumbling that #2 pick on Zach.

All that said though I don't think Douglas should be fired for that. He's done pretty well since then given he circumstances and it is hard to fault a GM for going for a franchise QB. They don't all work out but if your going to go down in flames at least he was trying to do the right thing. How hard can we kill him for that. I didn't like it at the time but I respected what he was trying to do.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  18. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Do not feel bad though, Jets are not the only team, Vikings does not know how to develop quarterbacks, they have not developed a good quarterback since Tarkenton

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I won't wish ill will towards him. I think the Jets had a plan for him and things went sideways when the QB coach passed. Neither Zach nor the Jets ever recovered after that. He helped create some good memories (Bills/Eagles games) and a lot of crappy ones.

Not sure I want to see him turn into a stud in Denver but it may accelerate the house-cleaning process if he does.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Let’s see if Payton can show with Zach performance in Denver how incompetent our CS is at developing QBs.