Your feelings on possibly taking Vernon Davis at #4?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 23, 2006.

?

Would you be happy with Vernon Davis at #4?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2006.
  1. Yes, this is the kind of freak you simply can't pass up on.

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. No, there will be better players available.

31 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. I would be ok with it, but I think we should go in a different direction.

34 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Never thought about this, but Vernon Davis is the only top 10 player we haven't interviewed...Perhaps they are smoke screening for that? Just a thought...

#21 PennyandtheJets, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2005
  2. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

Vernon Davis, 6-3 263lbs, 4.38 40, 42 inch vertical, 33 reps of 225 lbs,
    2005 stats- 50 rec for 870 yds with a 18 avg per rec along with 6 tds.

Add all that together plus the fact that i doubt neone here knows who the guy throwin the ball to him in college was and i think hes worth considering/taking if mario williams isnt available.

3. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

the man is a SICK talent. he could play WR. watching him break tackles in the open-field is sweet. hopefully, we can forget about Anthony Becht once and for all...

4. PennyandtheJets

He will certainly be a TE in the NFL, but there is no question he can be put outside and catch some fades...I don't know why I never really considered Vernon before, but this guy seems to have a great off field habits which I think is important for our #4 overall pick to have...

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Like the rest of this thread has said, if Mario and Leinart I think it would be worth it. As early as this morning I opposed it but I thought about it and I really hate all of the prospects after Bush, Mario Leinart in the top 6 or 7 and the next one I'm really a fan of would be Bunkley. Bringing in Davis as a WR/TE/H-Back would be acceptable only if trading down is not an option.

6. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

TE is a luxury position. Having already signed Chris Baker, we've got ourselves a couple of solid players as our tight ends.

If Vernon Davis is honestly the BAP at #4 on our draft chart, then Tangini will trade down if they are as good as advertised.

7. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Well said and 100% true.

EDIT: Well, since there are enough people on the board with Mario avatars, I decided to show Davis some love
    <====he's friggin flying there :lol:

#27 MobiusOne28, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yes, but my point is that we can't place too much emphisis on a player's 40 time. It really isn't that important. You judge the speed of a player by how quick/fast he is on the playing field. When will a TE have to run in a straight line for 40 yards in a game?

And so what if he bench presses a lot? Weight room strength certainly does not equal football strength.

Now I'm not saying he isn't a good player, because he was an explosive player in college and could be in the pros. I doubt he'll ever be the best TE in the game, but he could be a pretty good one. But this team is set at TE. Chris Baker looks like a decent blocker and a legitamte recieving threat, as he showed in the Kansas City game on opening day where he caught 10 passes I also think that we'll see more from Joel Dreessen next season and that Doug Jolley can rebound from a medicore year.

This team still has more needs at #4 than a TE... Even if he did run fast and bench press a lot.

9. PennyandtheJets

He will run 40 yards in a straight line when he is either, running down the sidline for a score, or when he runs a streak pattern...

Also Chris Baker did NOT have 10 catches in that game...look it up...he had 7

10. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Here is what I said about Davis in the another thread...

Davis scares me. If you look at his stats, he only had 871 yards and 6 TDs last year. He had about 4 games where he was completely unstoppable, but for the rest of those games he was pretty much shut down against COLLEGE LINEBACKERS. I know he had great workouts and all, but he really didn't produce on the field like Hawk, Brick, Mario, Leinart, Young, Bush, etc. did.

that said...

I don't want Davis, but I have said over and over again that I just want a playmaker, whether on defense or offense, but preferably offense. Our WR corp isn't that good, but teams with great TEs make up for that by utilizing the TE--look at the Chiefs, Chargers, Giants, Falcons, Cowboys before TO, none of them had above average recieving corps. They did use the TE, though, and that made up for it. I don't want Davis because we have so many holes to fill, and too be honest I never heard too much about him in college, but I heard about Leinart, Bush, Hawk, Brick, Mario, etc etc. So instead of thinking about it as us picking a tight end first round, I think of it as picking the best available offensive weapon. I'd still rather have Brick, Hawk, Mario, or Leinart, because they fill bigger needs, but if Davis is as good as advertised our entire offense will be A LOT better.

11. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

That's no smokescreen. There's no way in this day and age that an NFL team would draft a player in the top 10 without interviewing him. If I were a betting man (which I sort of am) I'd wager that we will talk with him before Saturday.

My opinion on Davis? At the #4 pick at least one of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Matt Leinart or Mario Williams will be available. Which in my book doesn't make Vernon Davis the BPA, and considering that he doesn't come close to filling a need for us I would be furious if we drafted him.

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If Mario is gone, I would have no problem taking him. He would be a huge offensive weapon, especially in Schottenheimer's offense.

13. JetFanInPA

Yes good call. He did have 7 catches, but for 124 yards and a score.

We are awfully deep at TE though. I guess he would be a good downfield threat, but as I said we're deep at TE. There are other positions that could be adressed first. MAYBE if we traded down I'd consider Davis.

14. PennyandtheJets

Let me also reiterate, that I am NOT a huge supporter of drafting Vernon Davis...I just though it was something worth talking about.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

on a team full of bigger holes than the titanic, I do not want the JETS drafting a TE with the 4th overall pick.

16. JetFanInPA

Yeah it is really. I haven't seen measurables like that in a TE since Ben Watson...

17. MyFavoriteMartian28

There really isn't very much WR talent in this years draft as there has been the last couple of years. VD is the best receiving threat HANDS DOWN in this draft... if we don't address either of our lines, then it should be VD for the Jets.

As good as AJ Hawk could end up being, we have Vilma, can still take Carpenter or whoever at 29... but there will not be ANY other offensive player in this draft capable of the things VD is capable of.

He will make our QB better with tremendous mismatches vs. LBs and Safeties, he will make our running game better because teams will not be able to bring an 8th defender down into the box, and he will make our receivers (Coles) better because he will present another threat... which we didn't have last year.

18. Tight

Tight Active Member

I hate when people say " hes just a work out warrior". WTF He should be punished because he gave 110% ??? Every player should be a workout warrior. End of story.

19. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

While it isn't an immediate need, it certainly could be significantly upgraded. Davis wouldn't be my top choice, but the Jets could do a lot worse.