Yes, this was a successful season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We need to draft an OT in the first.

2. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

The only way a non-playoff season can be "successful" is if you are developing a young, franchise QB or are otherwise a very young and developing team. With a veteran laden team, a non-playoff season is always a failure.

legler82, JetBlue, The 1985er and 2 others like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we. You used it in your first post. Don't be a wiseass.

iJet and legler82 like this.
  4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

not picking on you because several people have said it but to say on January 3rd that next years schedule is " brutal" is just asisnine

Ubiquitous and LIJetsFan like this.
  5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

With the AFC being as weak as it is, the Jets were as much a contender as any of the six teams that made the playoffs. That is what hurts about this loss. The Jets could win three games on the road against this field. If the Giants of 07 and 11 could win SBs, this Jets team could as well. This was an opportunity squandered.

Ubiquitous likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wasn't trying to separate myself from you. I'm as pissed off about this game as anyone. But I kept my expectations in check and even tried to keep them lower than others for a change, and it's easy to see what this team did because of it.

It's easy to see what they did when you can take the emotions out of it.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How is the season a success?No one but Jets fans considers missing the playoffs "a success" This wasn't the same roster as the 4-12 team ......not even close.I love how people are so happy we went 10-6 and have nothing to show for it.....No one will remember this season but Jets fans.To the rest of the world we are still a joke because we lost today in SOJ fashion.If this was a success going 10-6 and missing the playoffs then what's a success next year?

legler82 likes this.
  8. abyzmul

It absolutely was, and it was heart-crushing to squander it against who they did.

The opportunity shouldn't completely erase the accomplishment.

And NO, it's not a moral victory. Fucking team lost a chance to play in the post season. But objectively, it was a huge step forward, and that is a success.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

So you think Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Baltimore, Seattle, Arizona, the Chiefs and the Colts are going to be easy next year? There's no possible way next year's schedule is BETTER than this year's was, let's put it that way.

10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Its amazing how so many are justifying this loss and talking about positives.

There are zero positives until next September. Well maybe the draft but until then they dont exist.

Who's to say Marshall stays healthy next year? Mangold, Revis, Brick are another year older. Sheldon could be traded. Harrison wont be back. Wilk is now coming back from an injury.

So yeah I dont see many positives right now.

Like you said , opportunity wasted. This team was bought to go to the playoffs and win there. Didnt happen, so its a disappointment whether we were 6-10 or 10-6 or anything in between.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We would have been better off going 4-12 or 2-14 instead of 10-6... Maybe even had Geno, Rex and Idzik still calling shots. 10 wins sucks... Just ask anybody...

GangGreen1960, LIJetsFan and joe like this.
  12. abyzmul

Yeah, because Jets fans are the biggest proponents of moral victories. Wake the fuck up. The term SOJF exists for a reason. You're like a bubble boy living in a fart cloud.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol

_

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I disagree. this was an all in year, and although winning the super bowl was never likely we had a shot to make the playoffs and failed -- not that tie breakers didn't go our way but outright failed with the playoffs based on our sole ability. that failure makes this season a failure.

the success we had at key positions can't be expected to continue over the next few years and have to be rebuilt, they aren't young players we can expect to continue to grow and build around.

Outside of defensive line and receivers, we have nothing at the other key positions that we can even remotely hope would be improved next year. specifically:

QB? statistically had a fluke year and it isn't going to be better next year. likely worse. we went as far as we could with Fitz and have to start over next year unless we simply want to pursue mediocrity next year. it's either rebuild the position next year or the year after next when Fitz plays as he always has.

O Line? has seen it's better days and needs to be rebuilt.

LB's -- still in need of impact players.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

And your knock on Marshall and Decker are off base. They carried the offense this season and showed nomsigns at all of being distracted. Marshall was unbelievable this year and Decker was almost as good.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We haven't made the playoffs for the 5th straight season .....Successs!!!!!!We did it!!

17. abyzmul

Holy crap Cman, you may be the most bipolar fan on this site.

Maybe we can be the Tennessee Titans. Top 3 pick every year, FUCK YEAH!

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree with you completely, but I don't quite understand the purpose of what you posted about Marshall and Decker.

Both guys proved to be the best WR duo in the league. Just because each of them have an off the field life that is documented, doesn't make them any less of a player. Marshall is more worried about his off field TV presence? How do you figure?

I get your point and I agree with your point about this season and this roster but I don't understand the logic behind those two statements.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

didn't you get the memo...? We had all pros at every position and should have went 14-2.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  20. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. I don't think the tight window we have given age of our good talent and lack of young talent is fully appreciated. This would be a success if we had young building blocks who we could say will be with us for 5-7 years. But when you spend big money on Revis, Cro and have an aging center and left tackle (by the way nobody mentioned how badly O-line was today. Brick got manhandled on Firz's 2nd pick), you need to win when given a fairly generous schedule.

For me to say this season was a success will ultimately depend on the offseason. I think our front office and coaching are much bette than years past and the current record reflects that, but if guys like Devin Smith, Enunwa, Mauldin, M williams and our next draft class don't show up, we are going to have a hard time moving forward as our talent base like Wilkerson and Ivory depart

Quinnenthebeast likes this.