Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is where Streveler could have come in.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Does he know how to coach an offense? Or is it that he understands the offensive concepts? Could he create a game plan and call plays on offense? I think you know the answer.

papapump and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We did improve in many areas, but the downfall was in the positions, which were expected to be good, namely QB and OlIne. QB play was the worst in NFL and it is hard to overcome. In fact, that's the common denominator since 2011 - Jets have the worst QB passer rating of any team between then and now. This year it was atrocious. When AVT went down (along with Breece), we collapsed. Yes we had a couple of good games against the Bills and the Bears, where Zach and White had their best games of the season (or career), but other than that with both QB and line sucking, we were grounded.

So, yes, I originally predicted 7 wins, but I thought offense would be good and rising, and defense below average, since it was the worst last year. Then next year, when we improve the defense and offense further develops due to youth, we can can compete for the SB. It worked out the opposite way. Which is not great, because this is offense oriented League, and QB problem is very hard to solve. Oline should be easier, but JD hasn't been able to do so in years, and now we have a lot of money invested on useless Tomlinson. So, I do agree that we need to keep the coaching staff, we did hit the 7 win mark that most expected, but the potential and upside for next year seems less that I thought it would be at this point.

My gut feeling is that we will need to clean the house in a year. But I am willing to give the year to be sure. Maybe JD can bring Carr, who will have his best season, and finally will fix Oline, and we will contend. Honestly a lot will depend on Carr's decision of where he wants to go or Jimmy G's health if we go with Jimmy. Beyond that it is hard to see a meaningful QB improvement that could make us contenders. I don't think we can say rebuilding (i.e. multi year tanking) project was a success if we are in the hunt/borderline team again with likes of Minshew or Mayfield at QB. The idea was to have a team that can compete for the championship for years to come. We need to see such team next year.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

"Not really. Not when the HC doesn't know anything about offense. It would be different to pick his OC if he was an offensive-minded guy himself, but he isn't."

The assumption that he doesn't know anything about offense Is just not true. I promise you that. He knows the system, and I wouldn't bet against the idea that he could call plays within that system. That's not his job though. He doesn't call plays on defense either but he knows both schemes well.

If he prefers a certain system, forcing a completely foreign system Isn't going to help the HC or his comfortability within the teams structure. Makes zero sense to do that and It literally would be sabotaging the HC at that point because of It.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

Carr would be a mistake In my opinion but that's another debate for another time.

I seen significant improvement with this offense as well though when we had a stable OL and RB situation earlier In the season. I don't have the stats but I also feel like the offense started downwards once Hall went down, the the constant rotation at OL eventually broke the camels back for this team. Still. The defense was a top 10 defense this year. The offense was decent for over half the year. These are nothing that can't be fixed with another offseason.

The QB situation Is the scariest part of It all.

However though, like I've already stated. We improved a lot on both sides of the ball from last year. The talent Is noticeably better as well. We weren't a good football team though, not good enough to make the playoffs, especially with the injuries at the end.

This year, we were competitive In almost every game aside from the last two I think. That's all we could have truly hoped for If I'm honest.

I let my emotions get the better of me too but come on.. I can pick out almost every poster on here before the season started, clamoring they just wanted to see improvement, they just wanted to see improvement.

Well, that happened In a big way, so much improvement It literally convinced a lot of NYJ fans that we were actually going to win a SB this year I guess. IDK.

It's just unrealistic.

SOJAZ, Borat and MoWilkBeast like this.
  6. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

B

He could have been better, but most of the issues this year are not on him. He is a defensive head coach and helped bring the defense from one of the worst, to top 3. He can't control injuries or QB play. He legitimately tried, but had a lot stacked against him.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Brought this up in a different thread, but the common denominator is they are all on offense. This is definitely a MLF problem. The dude acts like he’s some hot shot sought after coordinator with years of experience. Amazing the ego he has for a guy who’s done absolutely zero in his career.

Ralebird, Jets OG fan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If you expected the QB position or OL to be good going into the season then that’s on you. I was pounding the table since before the draft that Becton would not play, we desperately needed OL help for our severely undereducated (on football concepts) QB and was kicked all around here and called all sorts of names. It’s time this fanbase stops assuming a player or position is going to be good until they actually see it performing well.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I went with a C+, thought about going with the B range but this end of season collapse soured what started as a very promising year.

The vast majority of our issues are on the offensive end of the ball. We've scored 4 TDs in the last 5 games, that's just unacceptable. Idk if MLF is the issue or if it's the lack of competent QB play, probably a combination of the two, but we've gotta get the offense figured out going into next year.

I might be willing to give MLF one more year with a solid QB and see what the offense looks like but I would also be fine if Saleh lets his buddy walk and hires a new OC.

#169 KY Jets Fan, Jan 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

A bunch of players regressed, and mostly on offense. ZW, Michael Carter (the running back), Elijah Moore, Berrios. Is this poor coaching? The offense was bad all around. Same for special teams. Did Berrios forget how to catch punts? What's going on?

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Zach did not regress. He just never made progress.

SOJAZ, stinkyB and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Got paid and locked down a smokin babe.....

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

C-

First half of the season (sans 1st 2 games) was great, and able to mask not having a QB
    2nd half of season, epic disaster once a few key guys went down
    I'm taking injuries into account and not giving him a D-

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Glad to see most of you guys are jumping on my bandwagon>>> Saleh sucks as a HC MLF is bad most this CS is bad and who hired this HC ??? The GM Douglas and I am afraid he suxs too

I like the the Beningo video i saw this morning where he came on a talk show basically saying that if Woody wants to get SOMEONE to save this this damn Franchise, he gets on the phone NOW and calls S Payton saying that his wallet is open ..whatever it takes!

the only way you get VETERAN coaches or GMs here is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because the Johnsons reputation is hot garbage

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Only issue with Payton is NO still has his rights as a HC and they've already said the price for those rights is a 1st round pick.

Sean Payton would be a home run hire for this organization but is he worth a 1st?

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In a way the Jets fell victim to their own early success. But the part in bold -the QB- is the real concern, something that cannot be overlooked that easily. It is probably more on JD, but it sure looked like Saleh was very much onboard with Zach too and he then regressed under his staff. I think all things considered the best option is to bring in a good veteran QB and give JD and Saleh another shot. But without a top QB I just think it is a matter of time before we clean house again.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, except there are three big problems with this:

1. The Saints still own him and have said they want a 1st round pick to give him up.
    2. I don't see Woody handing Payton a blank check.
    3. Even if 1&2 can be resolved, I don't think Payton would want to come to NY - massive media scrutiny; fan pressure; an historically dysfunctional franchise; higher taxes and cost of living. Why should he deal with all of that when he could probably land in LA or LV or even Miami?

But since the Jets gave up 4 picks including a 1st rounder to get Parcells, if all they had to give up was one 1st (maybe a 2024?) for Payton I'd do it. Woody is getting older, so maybe he decides he needs to spend some of the billions he can't take with him and agrees to pay Payton what he wants, including enough to cover the "NY Tax". The third problem then is the sticking point. How bad does Payton want to coach again and embellish his resume to ensure going to the HOF?

I'm not looking to fire Saleh at this point because I think he's done an ok job for a young HC and I think stability would be helpful, but for a proven winner like Payton or Harbaugh or someone of that caliber, I'd definitely let him go.

NYJetsO12, Borat and bicketybam like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

They made a mistake. It's a big one. It's correctable though. Only way It's unforgivable at this point Is If they just hand Zach Wilson the job again. That would be a sin on an epic scale.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I can't see any scenario where this happens.

20. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I think we're all missing a big part of the equation in bringing in someone like Payton or Harbaugh. Money's only part of it.

A guy like Payton or Harbaugh is going to insist on complete and total control of all football operations. He's not going to answer to the GM and would, in fact, become de-facto GM. More importantly, he's going to insist on no meddling from ownership. Is Woody willing to cede that much power, control and autonomy to a HC?

Even if Woody agrees to that, would Payton or Harbaugh trust him? I'm not sure how you could draft a contract provision that prohibits the owner from exercising ownership prerogatives. Thus, a lot would depend on whether the HC would accept Woody's word that no one will interfere (and no one includes Woody himself).

ColoradoContrails likes this.