Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The disconnect between the players and the coaches is likely that everybody saw ZW screwing up in practice for the better part of two seasons. The coaches for whatever reason did not make him accountable for the sloppy practices and the results carried over into the games. Nobody likes a screw up who does not appear to be listening and working hard as he is told what needs to change. Nobody likes a coaching staff that allows that to happen.

You get only so many do-overs in that situation before the players tune out and do whatever they're going to do. I mean if the QB can get away with it...

SOJAZ likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Veteran HCs that have agreed to take the job since the Johnsons arrived:

Adam Gase

See the problem?

3. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Saleh stinks time to cut bait. When is the last time a unproven coach worked out for this organization?

#143 george sakell, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Hey, don't take it personally. He's feeling the heat. His WHOLE presser today, was him trying to sell himself, & his great vision of the masterpiece he's building... to the organization, to the media, & to gullible fans. He's playing the demigod. "I see this great thing, but you just can't see it... yet."
    It's all about him, & he's trying desperately to keep the press in his pocket, where he has them, with maybe a few willing to say anything negative about an assistant. For the 1st time they can't just blame Zach. And he's in 'car-salesman' mode.

5. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

I wonder who was the one person on this board who voted a+. Saleh or mlf must have a burner account on this board.

6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

No disrespect, but it sounds like you're trying to rationalize the collapse. They were 6-3/7-4, that was reality.
    They beat the Bills with Zach, then basically fell apart on all sides of the ball. Zach was first to fall apart, then the rest of the team followed. The whole team regressed. So, as far as the initial expectations, if you were told they'd play well for a while, then fall apart in the 2nd-half of the season, would you've bought in? In my experience, teams headed in the right direction might have burps in their progress, but this wasn't a burp and regroup. This is the team starting from where it's at now. And where it's at now is regressing.
    Lastly, Saleh hasn't really exhibited much in the way of flexibility. Over the past month+, he kept saying this or that wasn't working, & it's on him & his staff to do better. Yet, with each game it grew progressively worse.
    He had no answer.
    So, now we're supposed to believe the miracle answer will come to him, during the off-season? Just give him more time... & we'll see the light that he sees (he actually said something to that effect today).

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

A fan argued with me that the Jets have progressed from (4-13) to (7-10) this season and next year they can take the next step. That is so ridiculous and why dealing with numbers is dumb.

Going from (7-4) to (7-10) is a fireable offense. Not showing up in 2 must-win games against average teams is unacceptable.

Not making any adjustments and just sticking with terrible QB play and offensive play calling is unacceptable.

Wins and losses are not so simple. The Jets have looked awful doing so lately. On offense, defense, and special teams. That is really concerning.

They have not only not developed the #2 overall pick into a solid starter, but they have gotten him to a point that he can't even dress for games. These are big issues.

I don't understand how any fan is like "This is good. Give the staff one more year!"

SOJAZ, papapump, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't like that he chooses to kickoff when winning the toss. Also, late punts when the team is desperate for points. He might as well tell the offense that they suck right to their faces. That's a real confidence builder. LOL

9. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Sexy Rexy.

Acad23 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to defend him but with the way the offense has been performing he doesn't have much choice: go for it and come up short - almost a certainty, or punt and at least make the other team have to go farther to score and give your best unit a chance to make a play. Neither choice is good, but the second one is the lesser of two shitty ones.

dmw and stinkyB like this.
  11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You think Shanny developed Purdy? All his time was in Lance and GRap. Either you got it or you don’t.

And those Zach wins were against weak competition and everyone played against was a 1st time QB !!! Even the Bears game was backup Qb with Mike White. Plus the lucky Browns win.

Regression to the mean. We were all fooled.

I agree. Saleh should be probably fired when you looked at the strength of competition.

SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Belichick wasn't a good coach after all, right? I knew it. He was a fraud.

13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I had this hallucination that Zach was QB in a Bills game before the bye, & he played his best game in the NFL. In this hallucination, the Jets actually beat the Bills & Josh Allen in that game. Another one I had was a win against Green Bay, with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Man, the mind can really play tricks.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. BrooklynJetsFan

Let’s see Zach stats in those games
    GB - 110 yds no TDs
    BUF - 154yds 1 TD.

260 yards and one td in both of those games. Math says 7 pts.

But somehow the Jets scored 47 pts combined in both of those games. Where did the other 40 pts come from????

Pass the shrooms btw

15. ColoradoContrails

Who was the QB on the field when they scored those points? Or did they go with the new "NO QB Set"?

burf likes this.
  16. BrooklynJetsFan

QB handoffs are now a stat.

Are you really staying Wilson’s presence on the field somehow influenced the other scores. Come on man.

Streveler could have handed off the ball. Wilson was on the field only because he was drafted #2 not because he elevated the team to play better.

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Believe what you want to believe. LOL!

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He does know this offense though. Why do you think he doesn't?

19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Judging by your response, me thinks you've had quite enough.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Its not hard.

I can see the improvement In the team. I can go back and find many that were hoping for that.

The wheels fell off. Shit went sour.

We also had a lot of variables that contributed to that.

See, all of a sudden people have It In their heads that we were actually a really good football team. We weren't. We have improved significantly, we had our moments, but we were never a really good team. We had enough talent before all the injuries to compete.

You throw In all the injuries. The QB carousel.

What did you honestly expect?

For us to skip into the playoffs and dominate there too?

Yeah. We had a real shot of making the playoffs. Yeah, It fucking sucks to be eliminated after a promising start, but don't start drinking the Kool aide just because It smelled good for a minute. We are not a good team yet, this team needs better depth, upgrades at starting positions.

They did more than any of us expected with this group of players. People are kidding themselves talking the way you are.

Again. We were never a really good team. Lose that expectation and outlook and It's really easy to see the improvement. Despite the collapse at the end.

Besides.. What's the alternative?

Blow It all up and cross your fingers we will finally get It right this time? Based on what exactly? We all knew this wasn't going to be the year. All of us. Now we want to pretend like we are surprised? For what?

The result Is exactly what we all kind of thought the whole season was going to be. It's nonsense to me to think otherwise.