Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

3-3 in the division would have been fine given the low expectations starting the season. Next year though? the expectation really needs to be playoffs or bust for this CS. This is a results oriented business and so far, the results have been mixed at best. Time to see the turnaround. Time to see the light come on for the CS. If not? time to say goodbye.

2. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

After watching Saleh’s presser it’s obvious he’s not really a HC kind of a guy. He said that he was hurting as well as his players. WTF, at least they were all well compensated. The fan base got nothing. You can’t make me believe that MW had anything close to a good practice.

It’s all a moot point as the defense never made the trip. What became a surprising season morphed into a pathetic collapse. Someone has to walk the plank.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I wonder If MW even practiced with the Flak Jacket on.. I know he was saying before the game how he imagines the training staff, equipment staff will work their magic and have something for him.. Something to that extent.

If they didn't have the foresight to practice MW with the Flak Jacket on before the game, I don't know what to even say. Pregame, when he was throwing, he was very accurate, very smooth.

Just doesn't add up.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed, except for the not sleeping part. The Jets losing - no matter how badly - does not cost me any sleep. It does piss me off, although frankly I'm about at the point of numbness on that too. Why should I be emotionally invested in a team that hasn't put in the necessary effort to get to the playoffs in 13 years? Does that indict ownership? Abso-fucking - lutely! But no one's going to fire the Big Johnson, and wishing he'd sell the team is like wishing that Santa will bring you a Corvette for Christmas.

Bottom line: There is likely someone who could do a better job as GM than Douglas, but it's almost a certainty that person would never work for the Jets, so despite his mistakes, IMO it's better to have some continuity with the GM rather than do a full fucking tear down/rebuild again. Aside from that, the only other criteria I have is that if you fire Saleh and the CS he has to be replaced by a proven winning, offensive-minded HC - Payton, Harbaugh, or someone of that caliber. If you can't do that, then stick with Saleh for next year and hope for improvement.

But it's clear that Saleh is just another defensive-minded first time coordinator who is learning OTJ. I do think he's better than Rex or Bowles, and certainly Gase, but not by much. If he's retained, he needs to fire MLF and the whole offensive coaching staff and beg Douglas to find him an experienced OC to rebuild that group. He knows nothing about offense, and I'm sick of our HCs knowing nothing about offense and watching them on the sidelines as our offense fails yet again and them not having a clue how to fix it.

Yeah, they succeeded in surpassing most preseason expectations, but they also succeeded in exposing a lot of problems that need to be fixed before anyone says the Jets are serious playoff contenders in any facet of the team.

5. ColoradoContrails

No way.

6. IIMeanDeanII

What offensive coordinator will come here and implement the same scheme but just call plays better?

because that Is what will happen. The scheme Isn't going anywhere. It's the only scheme Saleh truly knows or believes In. That's already been stated by the man himself.

So, I don't really understand this way of thinking. It seems very unlikely MLF Is going anywhere unless Saleh Is fired.

7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

The Cimini tweet had me thinking. Woody, by some media accounts, is not thrilled with Saleh. I wonder if this dope tries to force Saleh to fire his best friend to force him to quit. Definitely fits the idiot MO.

8. IIMeanDeanII

My final thought on the matter... Hopefully.

If you look at the big picture and It's hard for us to do since our expectations shifted...

However. We should probably redirect the fact that we even had the ability to shift our expectations this season. We weren't supposed to be In the position we were In, this was supposed to be another down year before we really pushed for a playoff spot. We are a year early on that, we had a good run, before the wheels fell off. I think If we are honest, they did far better than we all expected and they all deserve next year to see If they keep up that momentum or falter.

We are all getting way ahead of the true nature of this thing. We all thought this was going to be a shitty year, It turned out to be a promising year, that fell apart In the end of the season.

It's funny how easily we forget just how low the expectations truly were before this season. Now we are all screaming to fire everyone.

We should probably pump the brakes a bit. Just saying.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One thing that is alarming. Whenever a player complains about their play time they are punished by getting less play time. Mims, Moore, Robinson. That is insane and has to fall on the coaching staff.

Also, we've used a 1st and two 2nds on WRs, and two of them already want out of NY, and Garrett looked like he was on the verge of giving up yesterday. The last thing we need is to have to draft another WR in the first two rounds, but yet here we are. This all leads back to the CS.

I'm souring on all these coaches.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thanks for this: if he could throw pregame fine, this further suggests injury was not the problem. He didn't get hit in ribs in this game. He had to have practiced with the same uniform/jacket as he would have had during the game. Doing otherwise would be too moronic even for the Jets coaching staff. I think the explanation is simple: White had a bad game, which he tends to have every few outings. He had 2 bad games last year, he had two bad games in preseason this year, and this is yet another one. I mean the same exact thing happened last year and his passer rating is identical to last years now.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Saleh is a poor mans Mike Tomlin. It's incredible that he's never had a losing record in 16 seasons. Saleh hopefully can develop into that kind of coach eventually. I would hope no one would complain about that.

12. ColoradoContrails

I think if Douglas or Woody told Saleh MLF has to go, they would also tell him who to bring in and that guy would be someone with proven success with his own idea of scheme. It would make no sense to bring in a new OC and handcuff him with a system he may not be familiar with or even has any faith in. Of course no one would ever accuse the Jets of making sense.

Ralebird, SOJAZ and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

Then you are sabotaging the HC. Still doesn't make sense and I don't trust either of them to know the X's and O's enough to hand pick Saleh's OC.

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all. If I was Saleh, I would tell them to fire me as well and I have a feeling that's probably what he would do.

We shall see though.

Borat likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Not really. Not when the HC doesn't know anything about offense. It would be different to pick his OC if he was an offensive-minded guy himself, but he isn't. But in the end if he said "Fire me", I'd honor his request.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with rookie HC's and letting them hire their staff is that often they're going to do what Saleh did and hire non-coordinators to be their OC and DC and then everybody is likely to be in over their head.

cmcm750203 and Cman68 like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree. If Saleh is forced to fire MILF, both are gone. I don't think it will happen though. I am thinking OLine coach is the one who will take a bullet, because OLine was dog shit all year. Maybe even Calabrese, because QB play was the worst in the League. Maybe bring in someone with experience. Ideally Reich, but if not find someone else. Special teams coach. But they will leave the main structure of Saleh-MILF-Uhlbrich in place.

As much as the season hurts, to win 7 games with the worst QB play, with 3-4 game improvement from last year - I don't believe HC and OC/DC will be fired.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS a jet fan, I hope for the best but expect the worst. 11-22 speaks for itself. There is a lot of valid points made here about this HC and CS. For me, it is inexcuseable to not have your team ready to play anytime... but to essentially not show-up with a potential PO spot on the line is outrageous and is a glaring indicment of bad coaching.

Changes need to be made. Where is the accountability? I'll remind everyone that this HC stated that he and the CS would put players in positions to succeed...well coach you do that but assessing the skills and fiting them in and modifing your scheme. That never happened... we got a "poorman's" 49ers east w/o the commitment to running the ball.

The failure to modify your schemes is bad coaching.

ColoradoContrails and papapump like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Me too. I listened to Saleh today. He is a joke. He keeps preaching patience and seeing things out with LaFleur and Zach. It also works the opposite way. Sometimes you need to cut your losses and move on if you are smart. Woody Johnson may have to think of that very thing with Robert Saleh himself.

Again, I doubt anything happens. More likely everyone returns in 2023 and the Jets continue to disappoint until the next rebuild starts.

papapump and ouchy like this.
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing. The players are very publicly voicing and displaying their displeasure. It reflects very badly on the coaching staff, the players aren't buying what the staff is selling.
    I believe the phrase is "complete and total meltdown". This has been a collapse of Gase proportions.

NYJetsO12, papapump and ouchy like this.
  20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Really hoping some team comes along and steals LaFleur away to be their head coach. That would solve a lot of problems.

papapump and Cman68 like this.