Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I said "signing Tebow" which had absolutely nothing to do with putting him in a game, even for one play. Johnson was trying to sell tickets, not run an offense.

2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

65% is a D just passing by the skin of your teeth. That's just about where Saleh is. He is one stubborn dude though. How does he continuously fail to make a change when everything is going south. He left Zach in during that entire 3-3 debacle against the Patriots. Surely, Flacco or White could have moved the chains. The same thing today. Why not put Streveler in for a series or two when White is tossing throw after throw nowhere. Very frustrating.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It's almost as if the team completely gave up after the loss to DET. Up until then, the Jets kept the games close, but the last two have been abysmal on both sides of the ball. And when things improbably broke their way last week, they decided to not even get out of bed for SEA.

Going down without showing an ounce of fight is a bad look for any coach; especially one who is trying to sell the team on playing hard. Although one can make a case for injuries and lack or depth and talent, there are no excuses for the lack of effort displayed. The team was playing like they wanted to get Saleh fired.

SOJAZ, Br4d, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. It's a bad look. I don't know how you can go into 2023 with any confidence in Robert Saleh. I have none.

Br4d and Since1969 like this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

FWIW the Dolphins have also lost 5 in a row and I don't know if anyone is calling for McDaniel to get fired

dmw likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they traded for Tebow and it wasn’t the only time the owner has meddled

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Dolphins are still alive for a playoff spot. If they lose to the Jets and miss out, some Dolphins fans will call for him to be fired. (But he won't be and shouldn't be)

JohnnyP123456 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idk about him getting fired, but if I were a Dolphins fan, I'd really want to know how much more he knew about Tua's concussions than he let on.

9. Ralebird

Since when is a marketing decision like picking up Tebow considered meddling in the operational football activities? Certainly anyone who watched that develop could not say there was a serious effort to get him involved in the game even to a minor degree. Again, precisely what football activities do you blame on Johnson?

Simply making a blanket claim does nothing to prove a theory. The most consistent effort we've seen this season on the part of Woody Johnson is the Tweeting under his name every week about the uniform to be worn.

10. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

and he fucked that up too. What were we, 6-1 in the white jerseys / black pants? FFS then he starts going with every other possible combo, for no reason. What a jackass.

11. BrowningNagle

uhhh is that a serious question? Any time a football personnel decision is made by an owner, it is meddling. Meddling can be bad or good, depending on the owner's knowledge and experience. But Woody is clueless about football and marketing does not win football games, so its always dumb if that's the focus.

12. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

Big F. Poor clock management skills,has comprehended you can make adjustments at halftime. Team comes out flat. 10 days to prepare for this game. Fire the bum. Will send my resume

13. Ralebird

Yeah, it's a serious question; now I have one for you: Did anything Woody Johnson do regarding Tim Tebow lead to any sane person believing Tebow was anything more than a marketing gimmick and would have a significant part in the football team operation? He threw eight passes all season and carried twice a game. Do you not recognize the difference?

14. BrowningNagle

It was a dumb move. Woody should've stayed out of things completely. It was like 10 years ago now though so Idk why you keep wanting to talk about it

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Seriously, it's like saying we should have taken Brett Favre over Browning Nagle lol. BTW, Favre would have sucked for us as Bruce Coslett is no Mike Holmgren and had nearly the staff.

16. Ralebird

Yes, it was ten years ago, and it was not a football decision, it was strictly marketing. Now, where are all the instances of Woody Johnson meddling in the football operations that you felt needed to be addressed tonight?

17. BrowningNagle

Idk, I dont have all the details there. The guy i spoke with strongly alluded to Zach Wilson as an example of an answer to your question but ya know I didn't have time to chronicle everything

18. Ralebird

I agree with you completely that owners don't have the background to get involved in football decisions but Woody Johnson does not even appear to spend any time with other owners off the clock so he should be the last one getting involved. Some of the other owners are known to socialize and share their general knowledge of the industry - we don't even hear that about Johnson.

If Johnson selected Wilson and told Douglas to make it happen that would be news on the front page of the New York Times, the cover of Sports Illustrated and the lead on ESPN for a month.

19. BrowningNagle

Well Douglas selected Wilson no doubt but that doesnt mean Woody & his business advisor, the name escapes me, weren't pushing hard for it

20. Ralebird

Are you referring to Hymie Elhai, the president of football operations? I'd be interested if there was any influence by anyone based on anything other than football ability.

BrowningNagle likes this.