Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Zach regressed in the second half of the season. He never made progress in the first half after returning from the injury.

Saleh wouldn't have benched him if he didn't go into a fetal curl against the Patriots twice.

Jets79 likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You are just looking at the records again to show progress. No one is arguing there has not been progress. If you are (7-4) and told that ALL you have to do is win 2 of your next 6 games and you are in the playoffs, and those 6 games include the Lions and Jaguars at home, the Seahawks on the road, and now a 3rd string QB potentially at the Dolphins, you feel pretty good that you can go (2-4) at least and expect to. Even if you are an average team.

You are making it sound like at (7-4) you knew they would lose their last 6 and that it is fine because they are a bad team. It's not. It is brutal.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you view the season against the preseason expectations there has been progress, but as you said DK how the season ended has put a heavy pall on things. I'm reminded of the saying: "You're never as good as you look when you win, and you're never as bad as you look when you lose". I think that leavening POV has to be taken into account.

However, we Jets fans have been incredibly patient, even when we've flown flags behind planes demanding someone be fired, on balance, most fans have supported the team and justified their support to themselves (and by extension to the team) by saying it takes time, and we've had bad breaks, and a million other excuses for why our team continues to lose. In that light we've been far too patient. Whatever "reasonable" excuses we can assign for yet another year without getting into the playoffs, it doesn't matter...it just doesn't matter. We're losers AGAIN!

We all know the definition of insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result". Maybe it's time we fans tried something different: Stop making excuse, stop being so understanding of their failures, and accept nothing less than winning. Young CS? Too bad, they need to figure out how to win games and not lose them. First time GM? He's been on the job for 4 years and still hasn't fixed problems that were here when he arrived - he needs to fix them NOW. Higher than average numbers of serious injuries? Change the playing and practice fields; change the training regimen; change the medical staff; do whatever it takes to lessen them.

Or sell the team and let someone who has a passion for winning and excellence take over. Woody can claim he has that passion all he wants, but the results say differently. As Parcells famously said: "You are what you're record says you are" - that applies to owners too.

4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I just started watching Saleh's presser today, Again, he's pushing that he sees things, "not visible to the outside world." (2+ minutes into the presser). He's getting scary with his new sales pitch, to save his job.

On further review, even though this was posted today, by the Jets, as today's presser, it seems to be yesterday's presser, which they posted yesterday. Weird.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm just happy we were 7-4. Nobody thought we would be. Nobody.

It didn't work out. That sucks.

Doesn't change the expectations going Into this year.

We were fortunate to be 7-4 If I'm honest. Fortunate.

We were not a very good football team and we still aren't until we make some more additions to this team.

It Is fine.

Did you expect us to even sniff the playoffs going Into this year?

I expect that answer to be no. So, let It go.

If you want to be the only person In Jet land that did think we would make the playoffs this year, fine, but that wasn't realistic. In any way, shape, or form.

You should, again, reassess and get away from the knee jerk reactions here. Improvement Is all that any of us wanted, we got that, JD has a lot to do still. It's very obvious.

Pounding the table to fire everyone now because we didn't obtain that unrealistic expectation, Is silly.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If you look at this roster, even before the Injuries. You seriously telling me you think we have or had a Playoff caliber team? Honestly?

The rest Is moot.

If we were going Into the season as the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc... OKAY. I get It.

Unfortunately we aren't those teams, yet. There was zero expectations to be anything close to that this year, yet, we were closer than any of us thought we would be.

Blowing everything up, firing everyone now, Isn't going bring us any closer to that winning goal right now. It will only put us further back than we currently sit with this current staff and front office.

The same trend Is to literally fire everyone after two-three years and restart.... Then we all expect a different outcome for some reason, then we all get pissed off when we don't see those wins after a couple years.

We finally see improvement, the team did worlds better than I thought they would this year, the wheels fell off at the end after all the injuries and QB BS. Yet, we are still talking like we were destined for the SB this year.

I don't get It. Makes zero sense.

You guys are throwing this shit out there like It makes sense. I don't get It.

What's the solution? What's the fix?

What does this team do that we haven't done so far? What's the answer that will put us In the playoffs next year? Firing everyone doesn't do It for me. This roster hasn't been built enough to even be considered as playoff/superbowl contenders.

Yet, here we are, acting like we are that but the coaching staff Is holding this team back.

Not a fucking chance I believe that.

Fiftynine and MoWilkBeast like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

To say he regressed is to say he ever showed signs of potential. He didn’t. Ever. His famous TEN game was literally him throwing up prayers that happened to be caught. He’s been as awful as it gets from day one, he’s never progressed and he’s never regressed. He’s always been every bit as bad. It’s just that Belicheck finally made it clear to those who blindly wanted to believe otherwise.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Well if there’s enough bicketybam’s in our FO Zach would be starting this week.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, again, I see your point Dean, and at one level even agree. But as I posted, maybe the problem is that we've been too patient and understanding. I've rooted for this team for 60+ years and have one SB to show for it, and a couple of near misses. I can make a list of all the "valid" reasons they haven't done better over that time, but frankly don't have the time or energy. At a certain point they're all just excuses. Winning franchises, those who have won multiple SBs don't have these excuses. What they do have in common is an absolute commitment to winning. They find ways to overcome cap limits and anything else that stands in their way, even going so far as moving the entire team to another city. What do the Jets do - going back over the time of Hess and the Johnsons? Do they demand winning? Do they visibly seethe at the success of their co-tenants who have always looked down upon them? Hell no! They're happy to keep raking in the dough and basking in the attention given one of a handful of people who own a pro sports team, winning is a distant consideration.

Yeah, maybe I'm dipping back into my former "dark sider" mentality, but the clock is running out on me and I truly have no more time or patience to give.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and Br4d like this.
  10. Br4d

When I see Saleh's pressers the first thing that pops to mind is he's awfully good at talking the talk.

That doesn't save you for long.

Nyjets4eva and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..there always will be problems my friend..we are the Jets right?

And maybe my thoughts are wishful thinking ..I liked your post up to where you say keep Saleh. for stability ..totally disagree

Payton might come here cause resurrecting Jets is a good challenge and he will be very wealthy ...and fyi he still going to the hall of fame

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

First part is the season was a A for coach Saleh.

Then the team started to struggle and “Bob” dropped to a B.

“Bert” completed the collapse and dropped himself to a C-.

I believe there may be some hope for him but needing a starting QB and a new OC in the same year isn’t really a recipe for success.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think Saleh should be fired. I dont blame him for this collapse myself.

But he certainly looks like a coach who knows/thinks he is in these recent pressers. When you are in a 5 game losing streak and talking to the media about positives from the season, to me that's a guy who might just be looking for a new job

SOJAZ and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Why do you continue to make up shit? And why do you continue to come at me? I went on records weeks ago that Wilson shouldn't start another game this year and he should never have the job handed to him again. So quit making shit up.

15. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Maybe he likes you lol

j/k of course

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well it’s interesting in the way that the wins came early and then the losses came late…that will always leave a bad taste in the mouth.

but honestly, I’m not so sure I’d say we exceeded expectations….from what I remember, most of our polls landed anywhere between 6-8 wins or so, and that’s smack where we are. I’d say the rebuild is pretty much on schedule in terms of wins/losses…last year sucked with 4 wins, this year will be 7(maybe 8 but the way we’re playing it’s doubtful), in line for a playoff push next year.

what’s really behind schedule is the QB position which looks NO better than it has for the last 10 years….Zach is most definitely NOT the answer, and while White is better, he’s no lock to be the real answer either. I think our 2023 QB is not yet on the team…so that is a huge setback.

17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Can’t control this but we’re not a good team.

I realized their wins this year were vs Jacoby Brissett, Kenny Pickett, Skylar Thompson, Brett Rypien, and Trevor Semian Not good lol.

Did beat JA and Rogers though.

18. Br4d

The real problem is that there's no reason to believe the Jets will be better next season with Saleh running the show. They look just as bad the last half of the season as they did last season, maybe worse.

It's not like just adding a QB is going to fix things. Lots of other things have gone haywire at various times this season. The Jets lost *two* games on punt returns as an example.

I don't believe Woody will fire Saleh but I do believe he's one of a small handful of owners for whom that is true. Most teams would dump Saleh like a hot potato off of the losing streak we've just gone through.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Yes...

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Defense has been good to very good at times but regardless it’s been “good enough” to win with.

QB and OL have been the main issues here, and the OL is sad in that JD has had three years now to fix it…injuries are part of it sure but Becton getting hurt was totally predictable so that holds no water from me.
    Obviously the QB issue is the worst part because having failed with Zach we are back to square one…I expect a veteran to be brought in instead of drafting a QB high again, first because we won’t have a good enough draft slot to get the top guys but also because this is now a win now team and we can’t wait for a rookie to develop…I can see us using a mid round pick on a developmental QB but not a first round pick…I imagine next years QB room willlikely be a vet like Carr along with White as backup and maybe Zach as #3 if JD can’t find a way to unload him…

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.