Yankees 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by BIG COUNTRY, Oct 7, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

His agent is saying the west coast thing is not an issue. But I'm not buying it. It reminds me of the situation with Brian Giles last year. All along he wanted to re-sign with the Padres and stay out west, but he publicly stated he was open to playing in the east just to drive up his price.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Yankees | Team interested in Clemens, Pettitte
    Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:32:47 -0800

FOXSports.com reports the New York Yankees will inquire about signing free agent starting pitchers Roger Clemens (Astros) and Andy Pettitte (Astros) this offseason, according to a report in the New York Daily News. The agents for both players, Randy and Alan Hendricks, say their clients have yet to decide whether they will play next season, however, if they do they would be open to all suitors.

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

From Peter Abraham at the Journal News:

It's official, the Yankees make a bid

Just received word from Brian Cashman, who was willing to confirm that the Yankees have made a bid for the rights to Daisuke Matsuzaka.

The Yankees obviously aren't saying much, only that a bid was made. The Mets will not say whether they are bidding. Nor will the Red Sox.

More on this as the story develops. I think there's a chance we will learn tonight which team won.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This sealed bid thing is as tense as the time we outbid everyone for Steve Nebraska:grin:

[​IMG]

5. Drew

Drew Active Member

Haha, I was thinking of that today. Awesome post. :up:

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Two reliable sources on NYYFans have both heard that the Yankees bid $27M on Matsuzaka and won. But we probably won't know until late tonight or tomorrow (Boras said we will know by tomorrow at the latest.)

EDIT: The blog of a reliable poster on NYYFans is saying it.

http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/

#287 AMJets, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  8. dwalsh

Clippard should be higher. For most of the year he was matching Hughes' numbers, Betances i really like, but dont think that he deserves #3 quite yet, he has only pitched in rookie ball.

Chamberlain has great stuff, so i dont really have a problem with that. Kennedy should be very solid. IMO, Clippard should be #3

I think i am most excited tha 8 of our top-10 are PITCHERS!

hopefully Jose Tabata can fulfill all of his potential.

9. dwalsh

PROJECTED 2010 LINEUP

Code:
    Catcher 	      Francisco Cervelli
    First Base	      Eric Duncan
    Second Base	      Robinson Cano
    Third Base	      Alex Rodriguez
    Shortstop	      Derek Jeter
    Left Field	      Melky Cabrera
    Center Field	      Johnny Damon
    Right Field	      Jose Tabata
    Designated Hitter     Bobby Abreu
    No. 1 Starter	      Philip Hughes
    No. 2 Starter	      Chien-Ming Wang
    No. 3 Starter	      Dellin Betances
    No. 4 Starter	      Joba Chamberlain
    No. 5 Starter	      Ian Kennedy
    Closer                Mark Melancon
    I think having that many prospects is stretching it, and I'd rather see Jesus Montero at Catcher rather then Francisco Cervelli

10. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I doubt A-Rod is here in 2010. His situation will get progressively worse with every season. A trade is inevitable.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Obviously Cervelli won't be the catcher, and Duncan is running out of time to prove he can be an everyday player. Damon shouldn't be the starting CF in 2010, I don't think Abreu will still be here, and I can never see the day the entire Yankee rotation is homegrown.

12. dwalsh

Duncan is still only 21 years old.. maybe he'll finally stay injury free and produce consistently

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It's easier said than done, especially when that injury problem is his back, and even when he's been healthy he's had trouble producing consistently.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wow, Matsuzaka, Pettite and Clemens? Along with Wang and Moose?

Wow. Just wow.

15. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

http://www.lohud.com/blogs/2006/11/brian-cashman-on.html

Unfortunate, but it looks like it'll be TJ, so he'll be back stronger than ever before we know it.

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

If it's in a blog, it must be true :up:

In all seriousness though, it would not surprise me at all if the Yankees bid $27 million dollars on Matsuzaka, they seem to have their heart set on him and lord knows that they have the money to get what they want. And if anybody bid higher than $27 million they are fools.

17. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees turned down a chance to trade Gary Sheffield for Scott Linebrink.
    It's unclear whether they have a chance to do the deal straight up. There was a three-way proposal sending Sheffield and cash to Cleveland, Kevin Kouzmanoff to San Diego and Linebrink to New York. There must be some other team out there willing to give up quite a bit if the Yankees didn't jump on that. Even if they aren't particularly high on Linebrink, they could have moved him elsewhere for something that better fit their needs. There are plenty of clubs out there that would like to have Linebrink working in the eighth or ninth inning. Nov. 9 - 11:17 pm et

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Cashman must have something good in place if he turned that down.

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Breaking News: Gary Sheffield Traded to the Detroit Tigers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/11/10/sheffield.tigers/index.html

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Sanchez was toiling in mediocrity as he was switched back and forth between the rotation and bullpen, but when he finally stayed in the rotation between AA and AAA this season, he pitched very well. Mid-season, BA ranked him the #28 prospect in baseball if I remember correctly.

Kevin Whelan was a 4th round pick out of Texas A&M in 2005 as a reliever, and he has been tremendous. Hasn't been out of A ball yet, but there he's done well. In his professional career, he has 110 K's in 78 IP with a 2.30 ERA. Control has been his only issue.

Claggett was taken in the 11th round in 2005. In Class A this year, had 0.91 ERA in 51 games, 14 saves, 58 K's in 59 1/3 IP. Made 1 appearence in AAA, 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K.

Never doubt Brian Cashmoney yo.