Would 4-12 with Clemens be a disaster or first step?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Jul 23, 2006.

1. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

that says it all right there.

2. Ten

Ten Active Member

I'd have to say no,we'd be better off with Chad.It's asking a lot from the rest of the team to put faith in a rookie QB,and if the rookie leads us to a 4 wins season then i reckon most of team will have lost their faith.That just adds unnecessary pressure heading into the 07 season,basically Clemens would have to win the respect of his teammates that season or the team won't fight for him and probably won't fight for the rookie head coach who made the call in the first place.

When you consider the state of the offensive line and the lack of running game,there is going to be a lot of pressure on Clemens.It's hard to learn the position of NFL QB as it is but to do it under those circumstances is asking for trouble,I'd have to believe he'd pick up bad habits like sloppy footwork or lose confidence in his ability with the amount of turnovers he'd like have.

Let the offensive line gel,get some stability in the running game and then think about getting him some playing time to wards the end of the season.Maybe in garbage time or if the team is needing a spark in the passing game.If we are going to throw him in the pool then we should try avoid throwing him in the deep end.

3. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

I'd start ALL the rookies and see what we have. This season is a wash anyway. Let's look towards the future ( not that we have any choice )

4. parafly

parafly New Member

A rookie QB should not be starting in week 1 unless the team is forced into such a situation. Being that there are three veteran QB's on the roster, I highly doubt Clemens will be thrown into the fire by a rookie coaching staff.

5. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Under normal circumstances, I'd say it would be OK to give the kid a shot. However, these are not normal circumstances. We will have 2 rookies starting at the most critical positions on the O-Line. We will have a new head coach trying to get his coaching legs under him. We will have little offensive firepower to put around the QB (despite what the faithful may say, C-Mart is in decline and our receivers scare no one). While I think it is important to get Clemens some playing time this year, I think starting him will either shake his confidence and/or get him hurt. I'd say, by next season Mangini and Schott will know what they are doing, the O-Line will have some experience, and we will have drafted a RB to replace Martin.

Patience, my friends, patience.

6. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I would like to see him start at some point this season but not from day 1

#26 SigmaXJet, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If you're gonna go with Clemens (not a bad idea), then go with Houston and Washington at RB. Martin has less left than Pennington, but the jets will apparently wait until after a incredibly unproductive season to acknowledge that his time is up.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

We are doing that at RB in 2006.

9. Like w/ any rookie in a position battle, the correct plan of action boils down to that individual player. Some guys are better sitting for a year, learning the offense and observing the speed of the game. Other guys need to get in right away, work out all the kinks and improve from there.

We don't know which side of this KC falls under as of yet. We know he has shown very good poise throughout minicamp and he has some impressive physical skills. But how will he react to a live pass rush, the pressures of game play in NY, a young offensive line in front of him, and etc?

These are questions the CS must keep in mind before making a true decision.

This is most certainly a rebuilding year not only in terms of personell but also in terms of the franchise. We aren't just young on the field, we are also young within the coaching staff and front office. Everything that happens this year is setting precedent for the future. And that should certainly be kept in mind when deciding who plays and who doesn't.

My gut feeling? CP starts TC as the starting QB but gets outplayed by KC who takes the starting job.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Jets RB of the future is on the roster already?

If so, then the Jets will have problems.

Washington, Houston, and Blaylock are all fringe players.

Martin starts this year.

Next April they can draft Kenny Irons (if he leaves school early) or Michael Bush or Kenneth Darby or Alley Broussard (if he leaves school early).

11. Don't forget Adrian Peterson and Marshawn lynch.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I didn't forget them. I don't think the Jets will pick high enough to get Peterson, should he leave school early. I think the Jets will be 4-12 or 5-11 and they'll have somewhere between the 3rd and 7th pick in the draft. Peterson might go 1st or 2nd.
    All those other backs I mentioned are better than Lynch.

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

the problem with this "well let's wait until Week 9, etc" is that you can't do it if we're playing decently. everyone is very quick to write off this season; but if we're like 4-5 by Week 9, throwing Clemens in there probably isn't a good idea because it places all the pressure on him -- not the situation we want.

i think the only way it doesn't backfire is if either (a) we start him from the begining or (b) we start him late in the season after we've offically/numerically been eliminated from the Playoffs. it sounds contradictory (starting him from the beginning) because the pressure is still present; but it's not like throwing him at .500, when there's hope, and saying, "you have to win now."

cheers

14. nick.-h

nick.-h Banned

hey...why not thrwo brooks in there

15. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Whoever does the best in TC and pre-season games should start. I just like the fact that the coaching staff isn't just giving the job to Chad or Patrick. Me personally I'd rather see Brooks or Clemens, unless Chad is FINALLY able to stay healthy.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

A good point, you play the games to win. I think Brooks might give us the best chance behind our revamped line. I think we have a good chance to be 8-8 this year.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason you don't put Bollinger in is that it is obvious that he doesn't have the physical and mental skills necessary to be a successful NFL QB. He's shorter than you'd like, has an average to below average arm and gets very stressed out under pressure. On the positive side of the ledger he scrambles fairly well, if what you are looking for is a QB who can get out of bounds before he's buried. In my opinion the last thing the Jets should do is put off the QB decision for yet another year by starting Bollinger voluntarily.

As much as I think Quinn is better than any QB we have on the roster right now it could easily be 3 years before he's up to speed and ready to go. That would be 4 years of rebuilding and bye bye to the new regime in the process.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

4-12 would be a disaster.

19. parafly

parafly New Member

Agreed, unless we have the same type of injury situation as last year.

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Hopefully not. i dont want to see chad go down lik that again.