Woody Johnson is the worst owner in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 29, 2024.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It would be impossible for some team not to hold that title.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but you'd think that team would be some cheap small market club fighting and losing an uphill battle..

Those teams are making the playoffs. The New York Jets aren't. It's hard to be this bad as an owner

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

[​IMG]
    Woody's guiding light: Capt. Peter "WrongWay" Peachfuzz...

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm going to ask again...IS IT Joe Douglas who is the problem or IS IT the coaching? Again, damn near every player that has left and gone elsewhere is at least GOOD, if not a hell of a lot BETTER than they were here...Sooo.....tell me again how Joe Douglas is the problem with the O-line. You simply can't have a "Trent Williams" at every spot to overcome the shitty coaching.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think there is some merit to this. Coaching matters in football. It sure as hell FEELS like our OL is underperforming. AVT has looked better in the past. Smith and Moses are know quantities in this league and have played better. I do think with a better OL coach and scheme, this line would be looking much better.

In the end, JD is responsible for it all…players, coaches, the team record. So you’d think he’d be pushing for better coaching…but I’ve heard nothing but bad things about Carter, and just watching the line play, with the false starts and the missed assignments, I’d start by firing his ass and seeing if a more proven OL coach could get better results here.

We just saw playcalling taken away from Hackett. I’m really hoping a new OL coach is coming next week…hard to imagine it happening this late in the week, but maybe we get a chance there too.

6. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Woody just blows! Sell the team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

But his son is so excited to take the reins

Ralebird likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The most successful teams - in any sport - are those that have owners who know enough to hire the best people and trust them to build a winning organization. Along with that, these owners will keep a finger on the pulse of the team and collaborate with their management people to make sure they have the resources they need and to remove any obstacles that get in the way of success - in short, they're contributing behind the scenes when asked to.

Woody is an attention whore. It's why he owns the team and will never willingly give it up. And he believes this entitles him to insert his opinion and make changes whenever he wants to. I - and many others - have been saying for years that he needs to hire a qualified President of Football Ops and turn the whole thing over to him...sit in the background and write checks and sign contracts and otherwise keep a low profile. It hasn't happened yet, and I doubt it ever will, but then again he never fired a HC during the season - and there have been a few who deserved to be - so maybe this indicates he's changing. One can hope.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Cmon maaan.... I just made it through another hurricane...

Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  10. Ralebird

Well, this guy has made it look easy for almost 25 years - so he's good at something.

11. Ralebird

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote here but you missed one huge thing. Probably more important than his own team (he has people for that) the owner also needs to have his finger on the pulse of the NFL itself. He needs to know all the movers and shakers and figure out what they are doing that he is not. He needs to recognize who is actually "going where football is going" and who is in the back of the pack with him walking barefoot in the circus parade behind the elephants.

REVISion likes this.
  12. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Football is clearly about culture. All the good teams have it. Teams with a solid football-based culture, these come from owners who eat and shit American Football. I think the Giants are a good measuring stick, of a football culture that has all the same ups and downs as the Jets but manage to win a Superbowl every decade. Jets fans would be fine with that. But Woody is not capable of creating such a culture and never will. He has turned this team into an trust-fund toybox, a rotted greed type culture, destroying player and coach career paths one by one. While folks with no long term memory yet also the loudest voices call for another sacrifice. I don't know if you noticed, but coaches come to the Jets to get fired. Apparently this triggers something psychologically satisfying to these same fans. So he Woody will continue to hire coaches that are underdeveloped in one way or another, not; so we can get cheap talent and to develop them, but so he can fire them and satisfy these dopes that root for the team that can't remember what happened the year before. Also he can continue to meddle in the affairs of the team with a coach that is not also a control freak. Woody openly sabotages any good chemistry that forms on the team so he can be in control. It's corporate power dynamics, but from the point of view the owner who is an absolute idiot.

#52 jjt4201, Oct 11, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2024
    Ill Will, abyzmul and barfolomew like this.
  13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

We are once again the laughing stock of the league.

Curse my father for making me a jets fan.

truly we suck.

Rodgers was a dumb move.

Woody is a shit owner.
    I hope his private jet crashes with him
    And his whole lead addled family on it.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is what's craziest to me. The NFL has clearly been an offensive and specifically passing-driven league for around 20 years now. Anyone remotely familiar with the league realizes it but somehow the owner of our team doesn't?

It's really not hard to just look at the best teams, find the commonalities among them, and copy them. Forget actually innovating - Woody hasn't even tried to mimic the success of others. He is completely clueless.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

When you look at the 2009 and 2010 AFCCG teams, I think we can all agree that defense had some good players. But there was one superstar (Revis), one good not great middle linebacker (Harris), another good not great corner (Cromartie) and then a lot of role players (Pace, Bart Scott, Leonhard, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito, Drew Coleman, re-purposed Bryan Thomas, etc.).

So you’d think the owner would look at that and say wow, we had a primarily role-playing defense that was well coached and well-schemed. We can dump more resources into the offense and simply supplement the defense with a good defensive coordinator and get by.

And then a decade goes by of draft picks and free agent signings dumped into building a super defense.

#55 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 11, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2024
  16. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Despite sucking for longer than forever, the Jets still have a strong fan base, and probably stronger than it's ever been. So as far as the business of the NFL is concerned, what is the point of having a successful Jet franchise in such a captive market, when other less popular teams need the boost for the league to optimize monetization?

This is probably one of the reasons that historically well run franchises such as the Cowboys, Redskins, Steelers, 49ers, Packers have not won a Super Bowl in the last 15 years. In fact, those five teams combined have only won a handful of rings the past 30 years. In summary, there may be an agenda to the lack of Jet team success which goes beyond Woody's football acumen, or lack thereof.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lets just win Monday night...and that has zero to do with the Owner Tbh

I gave Woody credit for ejecting Robert Salah after 4 or 5 games (And I am one of the last people to give him credit for anything)

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

agreed, he is horrible. hes been horrible and he will continue to be horrible.

i worry about what may be apart of the reason he fired saleh. he has never done this before and the jets just dont fire guys mid season. what makes this different? is it the fact they believe they are superbowl contenders? is douglas doing the sort of things he does and protecting himself and maybe undermining the hc? was woody disgusted by the lebanon flag? he is a big politcal guy now a days after all. or maybe hes dying and wants to see a win before he croaks. he is 77.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Woody's primary decision-making trigger is embarrassment. I don't think enough had been made about the final straw being after the London game.

REVISion, Jets79 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  20. Ralebird

Robert Wood Johnson IV as a dynamo in corporate power dynamics? You have to be kidding - he never had a corporate position anywhere. When you claim he hires people so he can fire them you have stretched your credibility beyond the danger zone.