Woody Johnson is the worst owner in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 29, 2024.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

“This is one of the most talented teams that has ever been assembled by the New York Jets,” Johnson said

he has no clue whatsoever. this team had walker mcneil a good OL and klecko and gastineau at the same time... this group ain't shit compared

ukjetsfan, AJW, papapump and 2 others like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Tepper and Haslam.

3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Helps that they have the next Lamar Jackson.

sackexchange, stinkyB and Losmeister like this.
  4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'd have to say, in his short time in the league, that Tepper has taken the mantle as the worst owner. It isn't even close. They guy has owned the team, what, 6 years? He's on head coach #7!!!!!

Ron Rivera
    Perry Fewell
    Matt Rhule
    Steve Wilks
    Frank Reich
    Chris Tabor
    Dave Canales

On top of that, it's no secret he is the one that "forced" the Bryce Young pick when the entire coaching staff wanted Stroud. Yeah, Tepper has done more damage than 2 Woody's. Not that it really matters. Tepper's the Panther's headache and Wood-RUFF is ours.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

how about Joe D being held accountable for this shit OL, AGAIN!@!???

worst yds before contact in the league

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

As bad as Woody has been, he's far from the worst owner.

No other owner will be able to take up that mantle as long as the Carolina Panthers remain an NFL franchise.

mezzavo likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At this point those rumors about Woody arguing with Saleh about taking a more prominent role in the offense at the league meetings in June were more fire than smoke, and I think this was a combination of that and Woody getting embarrassed in front of people he didn't want to look like a loser to in London were the reasons he felt like doing this and doing it now. Typical Woody with no sense of timing and no instincts for anything but making a headline.

I do think this needed to happen but the timing was dogshit and I don't know that it changes much if Halfhead Hackett is still involved in the offense in any way.

8. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Tanny brought in talent, took a swing for a few good years...can't fault him, those were good times

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This team could be 4-1 with decent offensive coaching, game planning, and signal calling.

JD and Woody both suck overall but we are in this situation right now due to the lack of decent coaching staff IMO.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I would like to see some reports that support the contention of your lead sentence. I believe that Johnson is barely known in league circles and that has a lot to do with his inability to hire the right people to run the front office and the on-field operations because he is not privy to "insider" information about prospects. Do you think he would have hired Gase if he was familiar enough to speak to Steve Ross about him? His three QB "coups" were primarily directed towards putting asses on the seats and any possible gametime advantage was always secondary.

This week's move by him should be applauded. Finally.

11. Ralebird

Namath, Maynard, Sauer, Boozer, Snell. Hill, Rasmussen, Schmitt, Biggs, Philbin, Beverly, Dockery, Sample, Turner.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  12. abyzmul

You can find those reports by typing "Woody Johnson meddling meddlesome" into Google, but here are some of the reports that support my statement:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...s/meddling-owner-puts-jets-in-an-awkward-spot

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/3405069/2022/07/08/jets-woody-johnson-zach-wilson/

https://www.nfl.com/news/woody-johnson-meddles-with-darrelle-revis-decision-0ap1000000130427

https://wfin.com/fox-sports/jets-ow...on-reddick-to-end-holdout-youll-fit-right-in/

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-woody-johnson-meddled-mike-lafleur-fired

As far as the actual quote I mentioned, I want to say it was attributed to a direct quote from Boomer Esiason but I'll have to go digging for it later because I'm not initially finding it. I do think I saw it posted here though.

Woody Johnson may be the ultimate beta worm but he has also been an NFL owner for a quarter of a century and the ambassador to a foreign nation, whether deserved or not. He is definitely known in league circles and I'm sure the other owners love having him and his bad decision-making around so they can use his team as a doormat on their schedule at least once every 4 years.

While I applaud the nature of the move and think it was a long time coming, it doesn't feel to me like there is any sense of timing and it feels like the emotional impulse of an overgrown titty boy.

13. Ralebird

You haven't posted a single report - what you have posted are the opinions of some guys who may or may not know what they're talking about - at least the first is not even bylined, so you have an anonymous opinion with zero citations. Just because somebody thinks he's involved doesn't mean a thing without some kind of verification or support. Don't be fooled so easily just because you're frustrated.

Sure, the other owners know who he is but have you ever seen a report of him having dinner, traveling or playing golf with another owner? Some of these guys do this regularly, the Browns, Maras, Rooney and Halas families from the old days and some of the newer generation. He might be in the league, but he's out of the loop.

Granted, the timing for this could have been much better - like January but he gave Saleh (and Douglas) a chance to right the ship. Watching the first five games sees it leaking like a sieve - the timing was a satisfying surprise.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Woody shouldn’t be applauded for anything. Firing a guy is not impressive. Winning is

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

sozopol likes this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Oakland A's are worse

But if you the 4 major sports together, he's probably top 5 definitely top 7.

Not sure why, but I thought the thread title said all sports and not just NFL. The dude in Carolina is even worse over the past few years, but that's all I got.

17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

He was born with a silver spoon up his ass.

18. abyzmul

"Being known in league circles" can only be an opinion, what the hell facts are you looking to be confirmed? Woody speaking publicly about a player isn't meddling? What the hell are you even paying attention to? And why am I bothering to reply?

19. Ralebird

Well, you're the one who said "Woody Johnson is known in league circles as one of the most meddlesome owners in the league," I would think you might have some basis in fact for such a statement. If it's just an opinion, that's fine but if you have some specifics about what he meddled in, I think I'm not the only one who would be interesting to see the details. I've seen him on the field before games but never seen him doing a Jerry Jones during a game. I also never see him on draft day pointing over a GM's shoulder at a name on a list. I do not consider his taking the initiative to end a failed experiment in his coaching ranks as meddling, much less being among the worst offenders in the league at it.

20. letsgojets2819

letsgojets2819 Active Member

Since Woody bought the team in 2000 the Jets have the 26th worst record in the Nfl, I mean if 24 years doesn't prove he is a incompetent moron and has no business owning a Nfl team what does? Longest playoff drought out of every single team in every single sport, how is that possible
    ?

STARoSCREAM, NYJetsO12 and papapump like this.