Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former GM Charley Casserly as a consultant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Dec 22, 2014.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I respect Charlie's knowledge but if he suggests keeping Wrecks then he's as big a jackass as Wrecks, Idzik and Woodrow

Brook!, TNJet and freemantoon like this.
  2. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

Maybe when you are hiring some minimum wage worker to clean dishes, its easy. But in corporate America, companies like to hire people who come highly recommended. They want to hire people they can trust and they like having confidence that someone respected can vouch for the person being hired. Woody is still making the final call here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for recommendations and seeking others advice on the matter.

Some of you whine and complain that Woody needs to step aside and hire "real football people" to make the decisions. When he does exactly that, he gets blasted for not making the decisions himself.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Because these people he brings in don't have the pulse of what's been going on and don't know shit about the jets or there fans.That's how we ended up with Idzik

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Woody knows he doesn't have the acumen to make a football decision. He saw that hiring a firm that also had no knowledge of making that decision was a mistake named John Idzik.
    I see this as a move in the best direction since Woody took over this team.
    1 game left before black monday when the organizational cleansing takes place and Rex Idzik & Bradway are all shown the door.

This gives Casserly some extra time to start lining up candidates for the GM position and finally do what should have been done when Tannenbaum was fired, bring in a legit GM and let him hire HIS HC.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

personally,i will worry about the teams future if the owner goes on a knee jerk reaction to placate fans who think they are entitled to their pound of flesh.i will grade the idzic era as incomplete and root for the next guy and chuckle in 2 years when the pitch forks and torches are at his door step too

Red Menace likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

fully endorse casserly...he is a no non-sense guy with loads of experience......funny its the famous "consultant" role which basically says that the owner has no ideas what to do and that no one within the organization knows what to do, either....not exactly a glowing endorsement of who is currently on the payroll.

funny, thats exactly how parcells got started here.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This isn't about a knee jerk reaction to fans. Idzik was clearly overmatched as a gm. Woody knows this team should have put a better product on the field.

Big Blocker and FlaJet like this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

waiting for the fly overs "fire idzik, keep Rex"

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't have enough evidence to agree with you. i do have enough evidence to know rex doesn't have it in him to generate an offense that can keep teams in games and that is what killed the last 4 years under 3 o.c.'s 2 qb's and 2 g.m.'s.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think we all agree we have a lot of improvements we need to make. There's more than one place to start.

FJF likes this.
  11. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that both Rex and Idzik are praying to be on the open market this time next week. Why would either want to stay at this point?

12. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

clearing all that capspace is all well and good buy when you spend almost 20 picks and land 1 player, then have two FA periods without improving the team (the loss of revis/cro/sanchez hurt the team way more then the gain of decker and johnson helped it) who is to say he will be able to effectivlely use that cap space?

IMO there is probably over a million people in the USA alone who could go to any team in any sport and clean up the cap in 1-2 years. its just accounting. but knowing how to evaluate players and manage people at this high of a level is something that not many people have and idzik sure as hell doesnt.

legler82 and BigSnacks54 like this.
  13. Jersey Joe 67

Hearing Norv Turner's name being named as a possible head coaching candidate is making me want to break everything in my house!

legler82, jilozzo and xxedge72x like this.
  14. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Woody is hiring CC for something that the current GM (Idzik) should be doing. I think Rex has a better chance of staying than Idzik. My question is did Woody know of how much of a supporter CC is of Rex before deciding to hire him?

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well, Woody needs someone with some pedigree to bounce ideas off of. Idzik isn't exactly an objective and unbiased voice as regards his own performance. I think this is a smart thing for Woody to do. He needs another adult in the room who isn't aligned with any entrenched interest. I wouldn't read a lot into it beyond that.

And Belicheck hates him because he's been very critical of that prick over the years. Nothing more to it than that.

Big Blocker likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen, so don't start breaking anything just yet. If anything Casserly will probably worm his way into the position of GM.

If I were Idzik I would resign, the handwriting is on the wall. Rex will stay and Casserly will be the next GM.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Norv as coach would be a colossal blunder.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Woody wants Casserly as GM then why not just name him GM now not Advisor. There's a lot of advisors, isn't Tanny a Fins Advisor even though they have a GM.

19. Jersey Joe 67

REX HAS TO GO!
    We need a through housecleaning in this organization and Rex just hasn't cut it as the HC.

I'd be sick if Rex got another extension. It would show that Woody still doesn't have a clue.

From everything i'm reading it seems that Casserly isn't the only one being consulted and won't have input in the actual hiring. That kinda eased my mind a bit.

freemantoon likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Where else are you getting the info from?