Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former GM Charley Casserly as a consultant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Dec 22, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why didn't Woody just go with the guys who pissed away money on a billboard and airplane or the 7 fans who had "Fire Idzik" towels? You mean to tell me the organization DOESN'T need them? I was told they did!

2. BroadwayAaron

All of a sudden, Rex may be ok:

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you come across as a whiny, support idzik at all costs crybaby with posts like this. It's unnecessary and pointless to take pot shots at the billboard folks in a thread like this that has nothing to do with them. It's annoying. The discussion here is surrounding big news of the Jets hiring a consultant.. theres plenty of threads for you to bitch about the billboard fans

4. BroadwayAaron

Your biggest problem here is you think I care.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's right I forgot about this.

Yikes.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am normally a big Woody critic. But in this case I can't join in with you. I don't want Woodrow making this kind of decision on his own, because he doesn't have the knowledge to make it a good one.

TwoHeadedMonster and NY Jets68 like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Serious question for those who think this automatically means Idzik or Rex or both are gone...

Are you open at all to the fact that Casserly might think what Idzik is doing is the right course of action? Do you think it's completely outlandish to think a GM might think another GM clearing the cap to the point where he has $50 mil to spend is worth keeping him on board?

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

for the 100th time, his plan isn't the issue. It's his execution of his plan that's the problem. He sucks at his job, particularly in acquiring players thru the draft.

9. BrowningNagle

If Casserly hadn't have been pretty clear that he wasn't impressed with Idzik's decision making and talent on this roster maybe. But as such we've seen him do the opposite. Who knows how he really feels but I have seen him say good things about Rex in the past and nothing good about Idzik...

so I'd say theres more reason to believe he doesn't think Idzik's course is the right one as opposed to thinking he believes it is

10. BroadwayAaron

OK then, if you think that's the case, is it outrageous to think Casserly thinks keeping Idzik and overhauling the scouting department is the way to go?

When did he do that? The quote from Cimini is from a month into this season and it referenced LAST season... where Idzik barely had a fingerprint on the roster.

11. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

appreciate the reply, but the group hired to assist him last time didn't do a very good job either. Not for anything, the owners are a tight group - they are in up to their ears in everything - he can't ask around for an up and coming administrative guy? I am not by any means not trying to sound naïve, but that is how it is often done out in the real world. Word of mouth and recommendation goes a long way. Make a damned list and interview them.

TwoHeadedMonster and Red Menace like this.
  12. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Idzik supporters are getting more desperate and cranky by the hour.

Woody didn't bring in Casserly to pat Idzik on the back and tell him what a great job he is doing. That doesn't make sense. The writing is clearly on the wall for where this is headed.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

14. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Some other Quotes from Casserly (Feels like most of the focus is just on the one Rex Quote):

“I would say having been in an organization, it’s hard to know from the outside-in who’s making the final decision on things,” former Washington general manager and current NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly said on The Morning Show. “For example, they took two corners in the first round. One is hurt (Dee Milliner), and the other one, (Kyle) Wilson, hasn’t panned out. So how much of that was the coaching staff? How much of that was the scouting staff? Who made the final decision? Those are the things you’re going to have to figure out – and that’s the owner’s job to figure that out.”

This year, they did not take a corner (in the first round) – and they were in desperate need of a corner,” Casserly said. “Cincinnati took Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State (24th overall), who was rated about in the middle of the first round. Now, he’s not playing for them because they have a lot of other corners, but they do like him there.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/10/17/nfl-network-reaction-to-percy-harvin-trade/

On his first reaction to the Percy Harvin trade:

“Surprise. But let’s look at a couple of things. First of all, Seattle – what’s everyone talking about in Seattle this week? We have to get back to what we were, which is a physical running team. When you analyze Harvin’s playing time, he only played 26 plays last week, only played 39 against Washington. He did not have a big role in that offense so they’re downsizing to a degree what they want to do with him there…This guy was a problem coming out of college; a lot of people took him off their draft board. Minnesota got rid of him. Pete Carroll has a way he wants to do things there; it’s hard-nosed, it’s hustle, it’s effort. I think we can read into some things there. Let’s move on, we can use this money to sign other players. From the other hand, the guy does have some skills; returning, slot receiver, can make some big plays…However, the last two games [the Jets] have played their guts out. Rex has done a phenomenal coaching job. You have a young quarterback who certainly played well last night as an improvement. I think what this does is this takes you off the back page in one sense. I don’t think this is a solution to your problem. You start with character and chemistry when you’re losing to get better. I don’t know this guy helps your locker room in New York.”

On if Percy Harvin can make the Jets a better team next week:

“No question he makes them better on paper. Can he in a week assimilate what they want to do in the game plan and give him some plays? If he can do that, then absolutely; we’ve seen it in Seattle. But you’re going to have to game plan those plays for him. So are they better? Yes. What will Harvin’s attitude be like with a 1-6 football team and now he’s going to be center of attraction? You know as well as I do, this is the back page tomorrow. They won the Saturday back page.”

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-nfl/0ap3000000412488/How-Jets-will-use-Percy-Harvin

On how Percy Harvin fits with the Jets:

“On the positive – and I’m not in favor of this because I wouldn’t have drafted this guy coming out of college in the first place because of his issues – there is a jolt. There is a little bit of excitement, there is a little ray of hope if I’m with the Jets. We know this guy can make plays so all of a sudden we’re not crying in our beer about last night’s game – we’re fired up about the next week. We have a playmaker…Hopefully you can get him in a package next week where he can give you some third down shots and then build from there. The whole key is this kid’s attitude. What’s he going to be like? Is he going to accept this or is he going to be crying about playing with a last place team? I’m a fan of Rex Ryan. He’s coach of the year to me last year and he ought to be coach of the week this week for the job he did last night and against the Denver Broncos. We all agree he doesn’t have enough players right now but he’s getting them to play.”

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I appreciate your work to assemble all of that...

okay - now for the Casserly positive quotes on Idzik.... crickets...crickets...

BZanZ likes this.
  16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

please no. theres no way. Why bring in Casserly to tell you everything is fine? keep both? no chance.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Keep waiting, because I never said there were any.

What I said was is it impossible to think that a GM may think another GM who cleared a ton of cap space should stick for another year?

The quote in the first paragraph even alludes to figuring out who made the decisions that were made. Is it the scouting department? Is it the coach? Ultimately, it SHOULD be the GM so if that's not the case there's an issue regardless.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I was not more specific, I meant that Woody would fire Idzik and keep rex, and say that it was recommended that he do that.

I don't trust Woody.

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I like Rex

But if the Jets actually fire another GM while keeping the HC and handing him over to another guy i'd be pretty annoyed. I see 3 options here

1. Let Idzik fire Rex and hire a new HC

2. Clean house and get rid of them both

3. Keep them both

TwoHeadedMonster, FJF and JetsVilma28 like this.
  20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I cant see that either. Rex is gonna survive TWO GM firings? 3 OC firings? 4 straight no playoffs? Has htat ever happened in the history of the nfl?

jilozzo and JetsVilma28 like this.