Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former GM Charley Casserly as a consultant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Dec 22, 2014.

1. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Belichick's take on your new hire:

Belichick was asked about Casserly’s report that Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs.

“Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist,” Belichick said.

“He has no relationship to this team. I’d say less than zero. Based on what? He’s never at a practice, never at a game,” Belichick said before getting into a discussion of sports media practices in general. “At least he put his name on it which is more than a lot of guys. But, like he usually is, he was 100 percent wrong.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

jilozzo and Jets69 like this.
  2. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Why did you leave this part out?:

During Casserly's remaining drafts for the Texans, (2003 through 2006), the Texans drafted five eventual Pro-Bowlers: Andre Johnson (WR, 2003), Jerome Mathis(KR, 2005), DeMeco Ryans (LB, 2006), Mario Williams (DE, 2006) and Owen Daniels (TE 2006). Ryans was also named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Mario Williams, who many criticized for being the #1 overall pick in 2006 (behind college standouts Reggie Bush and Vince Young), made the Pro Bowl in the 2008 season

M00ndawg, NY Jets68 and ajax like this.
  3. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Who cares? When is the last time Belichick drafted a good WR? Look at the terrible offensive talent he put around Brady last season, and in '06.

He's an above average talent evaluator at best.

As for Casserly, in my opinion, it's a good start, he's an experienced, football guy, and we haven't had one of these guys in a while.

#23 BigSnacks54, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If he cant do anything right, what move would you have liked to have seen?

Edit: Besides selling the team

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Casserly wouldn't be picking players. He has a pretty extensive Rolodex from all his years in the league. It's at least a departure from hiring a firm outside of football. I think it's a smart move.

NY Jets68, Axel3419 and Ozymandias like this.
  6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Exactly. Why do people in here keep bringing up his drafts? He is not picking our players, he is not going to be the GM. He is just going to give Woody advice on who to hire.

La Canfora says to look for Mike Maccagnan for a GM candidate who was involved with the scouting and picking of J.J. Watt and DeAndre Hopkins. And Todd Bowles, DC for Zona as a HC candidate.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Rex is a goner. And he and Charley will have to work together.

8. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

I left a lot of it out, there is a whole wikipedia page there, just linked his record as a GM, which I think you'll agree is the most important thing. Out of those 5 pro-bowlers, 3 were drafted in his last year, 2006, so his first 3 year (2003-2005), he drafted 2 pro-bowlers. Idzik is on a better pace right now with Richardson and probably Amaro in due time.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

As long as it's just a consulting gig, then fine. Casserly does have a mixed resume. I definitely think he's lost a lot of the luster that he gained during his days with the Skins. The Texans stint hurt him.

He does know a ton about the game so maybe he can at least point Woody in the right direction when it comes to HC candidates. Yet I'd never want Charley's input on player personnel as his track record from his last stint is shaky at best.

10. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

one thing to consider is when he was with Washington he had reinitialized their intern program (the same program that allowed him to rise through the ranks and become GM). that intern program went on to spawn 20 NFL front office execs. that is pretty impressive considering what he is being brought in here for.

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

How many dickheads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

jilozzo and ConcordeChops like this.
  12. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

You linked his record as a GM for the Texans but left out his entire 23 year career with the Redskins because it suits your argument.

We can agree to disagree about Amaro being a Pro Bowler.

BZanZ and NJBeliever like this.
  13. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

For most of that 23 year career he was rising up, being an assistant, etc. Then he had some success taking over a team that was already winning superbowls without him at the helm. Not a good way to evaluate somebody. The Texans gig was all him though, they just started as a team, got a nice expansion draft, and all that.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

casserly is a joke, an people think this is a step in the right direction lol

Jake likes this.
  15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I hate BB, and all he stands for, so it pains me to say I agree with him on his assessment of Casserly.

I would like to know who pointed Woody in the direction of Casserly?

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Probably Jed Hughes. Lmao

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  17. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Best news in 2 years!! He's not coming on as GM. He's just helping to hire a new one. Which is AMAZING NEWS.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's a great move...it would even be better if he was named the GM..at least we would finally have somebody who knows what is to be a GM of an NFL team.

NJBeliever likes this.
  19. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Wow. What a great day. Now let's get Cooper!

20. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I don't understand, does that mean Idzik stays? Would Casserly be moronic enough to advise Woody to retain Rex?

Either shit or get off the pot. Fire Idzik or don't fire him, but make a clear decision.