Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former GM Charley Casserly as a consultant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Dec 22, 2014.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the bottom line in all of this is that the owner of hte new york jets is a fucking idiot and asshole. thats really what it all boils down to. to hire a gm and force a head coach who was mediocre AND the most brash outspoken jackass of all coaches.... is just well fucking retarded. i like some of the stuff rex did, i HATED some of the stuff rex did but i understand that you dont fire your gm, hire a new one and tell him that he doesnt get to choose his coach. its sheer dumbfuckery and its pure woody, he had a hard on for the back pages and hard knocks stuff that rex brought to town. so he stood by him for 2 full fucking years too long.

the writing was on the wall as to what would happen, it was almost a guarantee it would implode. and it did oh my how it did.

now idzik deserves to go as well just for being an asshole. he completely undermined rex in order to get rid of him after this year. he was just way too blatantly obvious about it. that on top of his mediocre drafting and cutting a large percentage of his entire draft this year sealed his fate for me.

however that is a position that i believe the fuckhole owner put him in. he probably felt he had to make the wheels fall off in order to convince the bald spectacled dipshit that the brash get me a snack espn diva of the past was no longer a viable option at head coach. had rex gone 8-8 they would be talking about oh well he still has it, the team loves him, back to back afccg losses and all the other shit that folks love about rex. and then the idiot owner would fold up like a cheap tent and STILL not get rid of the guy he should have gotten rid of 2 years ago.

so yeah get them both the fuck out of here and cross your fingers that the idiot owner gets lucky.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

they were saying that on wfan on my way in.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So why would Casserly be searching for a new coach? Isn't that the job of the GM or new GM? Maybe they're looking for a guy who is both coach and gm? Harbaugh?

#343 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Red Menace likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

maybe casserly is going to be g.m.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is incorrect. In some organizations the GM hires the HC and in others he does not have that authority.

In Seattle Paul Allen hired Pete Carroll and then Carroll was the guiding force in hiring the GM.
    In Pittsburgh the Rooneys hired Mike Tomlin and the GM independently.
    In New England Bob Kraft hired Bill Belichik who then hired Scott Pioli.

The idea that the GM hires his HC everywhere is incorrect and in fact is not the case in many successful franchises. So pushing the idea that Idzik not getting his HC was the major fly in the ointment is not correct either. The idea that Idzik inherited a personnel department and was unable to make big changes before the 2013 draft and then did not make major changes before 2014, well that was the fly in the ointment.

You can't judge a GM based on 2 drafts where he only had half of his team in place by the end of the second draft. That's where things went wrong because now we have two breakdowns of accountability on the Jets. One between the field and the FO, which was natural given the fact that the GM and HC were hired independently and the season went very badly, and the other between the GM and the personnel department since several of the glaring problems were based on who was drafted the last couple of seasons.

Red Menace and legler82 like this.
  6. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I think you CAN judge a GM based on 2 offseasons.And, no matter who had input, a lot or a little, the GM's the one who signs players and picks them. And, really, you can judge a GM on how well you think he's likely to do in the future. Based on last offseason, I have little hope that he is the right choice to lead the Jets. He's not a good evaluator of talent and is too slow and frugal to sign the talent he's likely to miss in the draft.

I'd like to see the Jets hire a real football guy in the GM spot, not a glorified accountant.

7. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Yes. Purge bad contracts and sign free agents who WANT to come here knowing the HC could be leaving the next year. Free agents want to win SB's and this team is not really that close.

8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

But Rex did not hire Idzik. Korn Ferry and Woody did. I can see your point about powerful coaches picking their guy. It makes sense. But an owner picking a guy when he has a coach on the ropes is nuts. I think that is the point some people ar emaking without saying it. Of course Parcells picked his guy. He was Parcells. I am surprised Seattle gave Carroll so much power when he was a twice failed NFL coach, but it turned out to be the perfect decision for them. In our case, it was a clusterf--k

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets had 3 levels of fall through going at the end of 2012.

1. The talent acquisition strategy of the previous 5 seasons was fraying at the edges due to the retirements of various players.

2. The draft was not producing enough young talent to replace the retiring regulars.

3. The cap was in a bad place, with some obvious fixes but also some real long-term impediments.

The question is what parts of the 3 areas above did John Idzik have full control of? I have no idea what the answer is and we'll probably never know at this point.

Then on top of that you had a coach who was beginning to age in the job as his vets went away and were replaced by younger players that he could not get as much out of. The vets the Jets chose to keep and sign in 2013 and 2014 tended to be relatively undisciplined players who meshed well with their relatively undisciplined coach.

The young players coming along in the ranks also exhibited signs of inheriting some of the lack of discipline that Rex and the vets the Jets signed displayed. Mo Wilk got thrown out of a game this year for brawling. Sheldon Richardson had several moments that weren't quite as serious but were also questionable.

Looking at the two year span in 2013 and 2014 it's hard to tell where things went wrong overall. Probably the biggest single issue was the Jets could never stabilize the QB position under Rex and nothing changed over the last two seasons.