Woody Johnson is MAD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Feb 8, 2024.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

He's a weak man. Simply insulting her may sway his opinion of her.

But yes, she is delightful.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, plenty of coaches got fired this year. And most of them did a much better job during their tenures than our HC and almost his entire staff, who got a pass. Nobody here is in the running for a GM job (and none have admitted to being credentialed members of the media), so whether or not they were right 5 years ago when Joe Douglas got hired is not relevant at all.

And I didn't mention politics so I don't know what you're talking about there.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

i know you didn't mention politics. I was making a comment on the intelligence, or lack thereof, of people in positions of power. We don't really know them. we have no way of really judging how they go about making decisions and so on. All we have are the results of the decisions. In WJ case the results have been bad,. Who would dispute that. But most people posting comments supported the decisions when they were made. Perhaps even you. You want WJ to fire everyone now. Not going to happen. Live with it. I have. And I'm in my 80's. Older than Namath. I'm just as impatient as everyone else. Bad luck, bad decisions, have screwed the team. Not hiring stupidity.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know that nobody is getting fired this year because I was one of the first people to say it on this forum. I know it makes no sense for people to be expecting a housecleaning this year but it also doesn't make sense to expect people to stop talking about it. They won't.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If WJ does care about winning then he probably is pissed off as he likely saw this AR thing as the best chance to achieve that - I am more than two decades younger than him and even so I put the chances of me living long enough to see a Jets SB victory at around 3%.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What a dummy.

Completely devalues any trade value Zach Wilson may have. And he does have value some team out there will sign him after he gets cut.

So dysfunctional.

7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I kinda stopped reading right there. There's been enough empirical evidence to strongly suggest that he does. While he might not march into the GM's office and tell him exactly who to cut, play, or sit, he absolutely has a hand in bringing guys here. Particularly quarterbacks with name value.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  8. The_Darksider

Yeah except for the people who saw it coming and said it before it happened. Not everyone is complaining just to complain.

barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I disagree, and if you go further from where you stopped I give examples. Fans just attribute big splashy signings like Tebow and Favre, or Rodgers in this case. Woody doesn’t ask for players, he responds to the ask of his GM’s. Granted he hires terrible GM’s, but he doesn’t meddle. While all the fans and tabloids made it out that Woody was the driving force behind Tebow, the book written by the guy who was with the team the entire year outlined it in the complete opposite. And that book was not a fluff piece made to lmake the team look good, it was really quite the opposite. Tebow was Rex’s idea whilr sitting in an airport with Tanny when they received the news Tebow would be available. Tanny was apprehensive as well but Rex felt he could mold him into an even more dangerous Brad Smith and convinced him. They both approached Woody about it and Woody was extremely apprehensive, but again convinced by his staff. Woody’s issue is he’s a moron at hiring quality football people, and he’s completely clueless on how to handle the media. He’s a major detractor from the NYJ’s chances of winning, but not for meddling.

barfolomew, REVISion and Borat like this.
  10. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Am i supposed to assume that when JD was hired you said it was a mistake? And am i to assume when JD hired saleh you said it was a mistake? If so, my compliments

barfolomew likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Good post.

This is really the key. Woody knows very little about football himself and is thus easily swayed by anyone he deems a "football person." Woody is gullible, naive, and a giant pushover. He gets sold a bill of goods by all of our failed coaches and GMs and doesn't know enough to see through the BS or make a nuanced judgement of any candidate himself.

He also just doesn't care about winning that much. If he did, he'd have learned a thing or two about football during the years he's owned the team.

What this all means is we're at the mercy of luck, either by getting lucky with a competent new owner or by our owner hiring a good GM by chance. Unfortunately the latter is unlikely because our owner repeatedly falls for salesmen over substance.

12. The_Darksider

Neither of us are in the room, so how are you so sure that he just allows himself to be talked into it? There's just as much evidence, if not more, that he gets frustrated when the QB position is failing badly and a big name happens to be somewhat available. Whenever the fans are in an uproar and it's directly related strictly to the QB position, amazingly and conveniently we happen to find a way to get a guy in there who will not only ostensibly improve the team but also sell tickets.

No way this is a coincidence.

13. REVISion

JD seemed like a decent enough hire. Saleh was clearly a bad hire to anyone thinking for themselves and not drinking the Kool-Aid.

14. REVISion

How much evidence really exists that Woody pushes hard to sign big-name QBs behind the scenes?

Rodgers was pretty clearly a JD/Saleh "let's save our jobs" move.

15. The_Darksider

I liked the Saleh hire a lot. JD I didn't know much about but was optimistic based on his pedigree. But those aren't the only events you originally referenced. Gase was a miserable hire and many knew it. The move for Rodgers was I'll advised and many of us called it.

My point, and I apologize if I didn't make it clear (almost certainly didn't since I essentially just used sarcasm) is that this Groundhog Day movie we've lived for over 15 years is ALL Woody. Is not just the QB at all. We've had some decent prospects that were ruined by not developing them properly or tossing them right in when they clearly weren't ready. We have NO idea how to develop any offensive players or a scheme to fit them.

So I guess in retrospect your assertion that it's just the wrong people is correct, but the guy making those decisions, sticking with them, and yes, meddling in them at times, is the biggest reason.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. The_Darksider

It's happened three different times over 15 years where zero of the members of management or the players was the same except Tannenbaum.

When the team falls apart and everyone says "golly we just need a different QB", amazingly we go move the earth to bring in a QB. Never a sold guy who's nor a household name mind you, but always a guy whose name is known by everyone.

Rodgers was one of a few different guys the team looked at. The job saving was "boss, we need a QB - everyone says it. The fans, the press, the guys on TGG, social media - we're gonna have to give up on Wilson" and once the options were presented Woody absolutely stepped in.

Woody: get Rodgers

Why do I strongly feel this is a possibility? Because Rodgers has the biggest name, the most success, and mostly because Woody joined them on his private plane to go convince them. That's not a GM move.

I also surmise this from the damage that was done to bring him in here to the cap, our draft status - Douglas for the most part has been very savvy with trades. Not always good ones, but he definitely didn't get raked over the coals. Suddenly, the Jets give away every ounce of leverage they had ( which was a considerable amount) long before they even had to give it up and we get hammered on a deal where we're literally only negotiating against ourselves!?? No. Makes no sense.

And the final nail in that coffin of proof to me is Woody coming out and trashing the back up quarterback this week. It just goes to show he's got no idea what leverage is, no idea at all.

It's all him and nothing short of a waterboarding session with members of management and Woody will convince me otherwise.

mattyd99 likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kudos to Rodgers for taking advantage of the Jets drunk idiot owner and setting himself up for life post-retirement

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He was also the best available QB on the market. Could have easily been a GM move with owner onboard figuratively and literally. What you provided is not an evidence at all of Woody being the architect behind the move.

Also, I am not prepared to say that this was a terrible move until we see next year play out. Stopping at getting Rodgers though and having Duane as a LT starter and no good OL, which contributed to his injury and failure of back-ups, was a terrible move though.

REVISion likes this.
  19. The_Darksider

None of us have proof, no one has any proof at all that Woody is just a poor dimwitted victim either. It's all conjecture until that waterboarding session can happen.

20. REVISion

All of the QB additions are just as easily if not more easily explained by failing GMs and coaches trying to save their jobs though. Favre was acquired after a 4-12 season.

The point that it's happened with different GMs and coaches isn't relevant because every single GM and coach on the planet does things that are dumb long-term if it means saving their jobs in the near-term. Personal survival comes first, always. It's human nature.

Borat likes this.