Woody Johnson is MAD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Feb 8, 2024.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

If I believed that that Woody had the savvy and subtleness to think of doing that, and pull it off, I would agree with you. It makes sense, but he's shown zero inclination or ability to do such things in the past. I think he spouted his frustrations in response to what he was asked with no ulterior motive.

2. The_Darksider

I'm kind of surprised how many guys are looking at what Woody said and assuming he meant they knew they didn't have a back up quarterback to start the season. I read it more as he is talking in retrospect, we need one because we didn't have one this year. Classless shot at Zach Wilson for damn sure, no arguing that. But the comment about the back up quarterback and the timing of when he was referring to it make these two completely different scenarios.

3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They had to know that they didn't have one. If you were a human being with a pulse back in May, you knew that the New York Jets did not have a backup QB. The vast majority of fans were clamoring for them to sign a backup QB all throughout the summer.

This truly is one of the most infuriating comments a member of this franchise has ever made. And that's saying something.

ouchy likes this.
  4. The_Darksider

I can see that it came out the way you interpreted it. Of course he knew back then, but I am talking about what i perceive to be the context, that's all.

And this guy has been infuriating me for years.

5. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

I’m sure the players want to play and win. Even Zach.

However, we can not excuse the FO, Coaches, nor the owner for their lack of competency.

PSL GOLD? Remember that line?

Time to follow a different team. Eagles are green and white. Think I can convert my Tebo, Darnold, Wilson jerseys?

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah if you want Eagles fans to whip your ass

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I do have to laugh a little at our fanbase that spent 4 years insisting we drafted Zach because his uncle is Woody’s friend, started him because his uncle is Woody’s friend, kept him as a backup because his uncle is Woody’s friend, now pissing and moaning because Woody was too mean to Zach out the door. Zach was brought here because our moron of a GM wanted him. Because our morons we call our scouting department fell in love with off platform bullshit and completely dismissed Zach’s lack of knowledge, leadership, and basic fundamentals. I basically envision a room full of meathead Troglodytes going “Zach throw no lookie pass like Mahomes can do”

I have a secret that none of you will believe- Woody does not meddle in the team roster. Woody was the most apprehensive guy in the room when it came to Tebow, for example. It’s literally documented in a book by a guy who spent the entire season with the team how Tebow came to the team (it was Rex’s idea). Yet fans place it on Woody. The problem with Woody is after he bought in decided it was worthy of a big press conference, a player signing equivalent of “hey guess what uniforms we’re wearing this week!”

Woody’s fault is he hires completely incompetent people to run his football team over and over, and he goes all in believing what the morons he hires tells him he should do. Like when Saleh and JD convinced him we have a SB caliber roster that was only a 200m QB away. Like when he hired a firm to hire a GM. Like when he listened to Casserly. Like when he hired Herm at the behest of Goodell and the league. Woody doesn’t know how to hire good football minds that know how to implement a winning culture with quality players, and for that we should hate him.

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

What makes all of this even more infuriating is that it's just yet another absolutely crystal clear signal that the 2024 season is over already.... in February, before the previous season has actually ended.

And even better, what will follow will be even worse, since a full tear down and rebuild is coming in 2025. As Bart Scott said, Can't Wait!

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Woody's MAD..... he probably even threw his Legos on the floor!

The_Darksider, NY Jets68 and mezzavo like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know about that my man. I mean, she looks pretty good for a 59 year old. Let's not forget also that Woody is 76. Save her picture (I think this is fairly recent one) and revisit when you are that age. LOL.

[​IMG]

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, we can't really have it both ways. On one hand everyone is shitting on Woody for meddling. Saying just sign the checks and gtfo of the way. And when he actually does it, but the football guys we have fuck up, we are saying why he didn't meddle. That's what I noticed before when people shit on Woody no matter what. For meddling, for not meddling, even for his wife not being hot enough.

Now, I do think Woody fucked up by not cleaning house (and for hiring wring people in the first place) that is definitely in his purview and he should have done it, so he is an absolute douche because of that and also for lowering what little Zach's trade value and being classless, but we do need to decide whether we want him to meddle or not to meddle, and stick to one.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Gosh, remember when BicketyBam was shaming anyone for trying to upgrade Zach, saying Zach was probably the best #2 in the league. Pepperidge Farm remembers…

Ralebird likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Meddling or not, we can’t really know

What we CAN know is that he makes TERRIBLE hiring decisions. Over and over and over and over. He has no clue on football matters. But then I’m guessing many owners aren’t really experts there…used to be back in the 1970s and 1980s when the founders of the teams (especially AFL teams) were still there…when many teams were still family owned.

But with the franchise values skyrocketing, those families are fewer and fewer, and the only people who can afford to buy teams are big billionaire tycoons backed by financing conglomerates. So the ownership base has gotten stupider in terms of football savvy.

The thing is, some of those owners have at least built successful businesses and thus know something about running a company, or hiring talented managers, etc. Woody has none of that. he didn’t build jack shit…he was just born into money.

So we see where that leads. His biggest flaw isn’t that he doesn’t know football…it’s that he doesn’t know people. It’s like when a successful CEO leaves one company for another in a different industry and STILL succeeds…because some of the skills you need to succeed aren’t industry or product specific…they are people related. Recognizing talent and eliminating obstacles so that they can go do their thing.

Woody has failed abysmally at this, and it’s why we will continue to stink as long as he has the final decision…because he doesn’t recognize, identify, hire, and support talent. He goes for the flash in the pan…Idzik, Gase, Hackett, Saleh, Herm, on and on…

The only way the cycle changes is blind fucking luck or NFL executive interference. That’s it

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson is a moron.

Why badmouth the quarterback you are trying to trade away?

Keep your fool mouth shut until you find a buyer.

The_Darksider, Since1969 and jets_fan like this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Yea and he also stated AGAIN, "he is not a PO mandate guy." So 2024 here we come and year 14 will be in the books...so book it (pun intended) boys.

Talk about a loser menality what a stupid twit...

16. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

So many ridiculous comments. WJ hired football people, not someone off the street. In retrospect they were not good hires, but the guys had a track record. Even Gase had a good enough record for miami t hire him. The biggest issue for the jets the psst decade or so has been the QB. Not WJ. Either people posting on this forum are extremely young or they want to rewrite history to prove a point. Rex had sanchez and 2 championship games. People thought we were going to be great but management screwed it up. The same management that got them there. They drafted, and made moves to draft, many highly rated QB. Smith. Darnold. Wilson. They all failed. But posters praised the moves when they were made. Even Wilson's draft class had nothing after Lawrence. WJ wants to win,of course he does. Posters who don't think that need to ge a real job. He went all.in on Rodgers. That wss a great move. One of the best QB of all time. Why people think a different back up last year would have got us msny more wins is beyond me. Did they watch our OL?. You want to fault WJ for hiring Douglas. Go for it. But before you do read the comments on the site pertaining yo the hire when it was made

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We as fans are not paid millions of dollars to find the right people and know their background as well as, say, the people that run the franchise. Nor do we have the resources to find that info. As such, we as fans have the benefit of hindsight. We're not supposed to be the experts on this.

And in hindsight, all of these moves were dogshit and we as fans are not required to see it in advance.

18. bleedgreen

Fans are free to think any way they like and post their comments. Doesnt make their thinking or commenting any less astute.
    How many failed coaches were let go this year. I guess all the owners of thise teams were stupid.
    I am no fan of WJ. From what read, and i must take that reading with a grain of salt, he is not a very smart guy. Maybe he is of average intelligence, blessed with a fortune. Well if he is average, whats wrong with that. Don't lets get started on politics

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is where I am also perhaps missing something. I mean people like to blame this on Zach, but we also played Siemian who was a back-up in last two years. Now, I am not a fan for his, but he did have 88 and 76 QB rating in last two years. He was 62 here. Yes, 62 - far and away career low. Flacco played here a year before and looked like shit with bad line. Yet looked decent for Browns. This is a very lazy narrative that we lost this season because of no back-up QB. Would I prefer Wentz, sure, but Zach wasn't a nothing back-up. He managed to get 77 QB rating with Hack calling plays and no OL. Again, this is 15 points more than Siemian who in average before this season was in 80 range.

Now, this is not to say Zach was good, but I think in aggregate for a back-up, he was average back-up, given what we had to work with. He was a lot better than in two years before and significantly better than Siemian who last two years was a non terrible back-up. This was a classless move by Woody to through him under the bus like that. But imagine if JD is talking to some team asking say for a 4th or 5th round pick. After this comment, where Woody basically said Zach is not even good enough to be a back-up (and he makes 5.5 mil next year), what do you think opposing GM would respond with? Just a stupid comment by Woody on more than one level.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. bleedgreen

Yup. Stupid comment. But he is probably enormously frustrated. All his AR plans down the drain last year. So he is venting and casting big time shade on douglas and saleh. Maybe thats a good thing