Woodhead practicing as a WR - UPDATE: ADDED TO ACTIVE ROSTER

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Drew, Oct 15, 2009.

1. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

Zach Roloff 4'4'' 75
    2003-2008 midget soccer league

2. ........

........ Trolls

Everyone is rooting for the kid. Going so crazy over his potential just sets unreasonable expectations for him. I'd like to see him play at least a single game against starting talent before people start proclaiming him the next Wes Welker.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Yup, that's about it. It's always fun as a fan to see a potential new weapon brought out for the first time, but you can't make any more of it than that for now.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Woodhead looks 5'6". How the league and teams come up with different heights is always funny. The NBA is cuckoo like that, too.

Richard Johnson was a wide-body player who had success due to the Run and Shoot. I don't remember him being particularly fast. Definitely one of the oddest players in league history.

Of the guys I listed, Woodhead reminds me most of James. Does that mean I think Woodhead will have a 1000-yard receiving season like James had in 1985? No. There is a similar size-speed combo, though.

Therefore, maybe instead of comparing Woodhead to white guys people should compare him to a black guy?

While on the subject of old wide receivers and comparisons, wanted to mention that Tom Waddle was the precursor to Chrebet- extremely tough white guy who went across the middle on a regular basis.

5. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Very Interresting move, nice to see Danny get his well deserved Chance. Some Thoughts:

- I guess they were pretty sure, they?d get another WR, and were planing to move Stuckey to the Slot, now with Stuckey gone, we needed another Plan.

- with Danny, Leon, Keller and Clowney there?s a ton of Big-Play Potential out there, the Bills have to respect that, and won?t be able to shift their coverage over to Edwards that much.

- He?ll be active, that means we won?t be able to sign him to the PS anymore. If this doesn?t work out, He?ll be gone.

6. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

If necessary, the Jets should be able to re-sign Howard Green in the future. I doubt any team is going to rush out and sign him. Same for Woodhead, if it becomes necessary to cut him.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Isn't every prospect in the league recruited or givin a shot based on ther potential?

Every fan and or anyalst compares that potential to players in the league. Woodhead is not a blue chip player, but he has the potential to be the Jets Wes Welker type of player. Woodhead played the hand he was dealt, and dominated the level he was at. The move to WR gives him a much better shot of success than what RB would have provided.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, and they don't all turn out to be Wes Welker. Or Wayne Chrebet.

Yes, he has the potential to become that type of player, a quick and shifty slot receiver. The thought of having that has me excited. I honestly don't know if he'd have been more successful at RB, but I do agree that he has a better chance at PT on this team at WR. Again, no one is arguing that he can't become a good slot receiver. To suggest it's a foregone conclusion, however, or that he has proven tools at WR is ridiculous. Guess who else had all the tools and athleticism to make the transition to the WR position? Brad Smith. People were excited about him as well, and I sure as hell wouldn't put him in the same category as any Pro Bowlers.

All I'm suggesting is that people be excited for the kid, hope for his success, but hold off on calling him the next Wayne Chrebet. We haven't even seen him play receiver! Not once!

9. ackack

ackack New Member

Woodhead will be standing next to Hoghead (Rex) for this game.
    The jets are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

10. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

How are they scraping the bottom of the barrel? What a ridiculous comment

11. ........

........ Trolls

Ugh. No kidding. Why the hell does this have to be such a polarizing discussion? Either he's a surefire stud or he's a scrub. I guess there's no in between. Go figure.

EDIT: Just noticed the Hoghead comment. I'm guessing that dude's a Bills fan.

#131 ........, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Again another great post.

It's called no stone unturned. Doesn't hurt to try players at new positions. Antonio Gates used to be a basketball player.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Holy shit we have a regular sherlock holmes on the board.

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Every prospect is recruited based on potential, correct. But people are saying that Woodhead's measurables compare to Steve Smith, and that it a knock on Woodhead to be compared to Chrebet and Welker. Let me ask them this, if Woodhead has so much potential and such great measurables, why wasn't he drafted? And more importantly, why wasn't he signed when we cut him?

I'm rooting for the kid, but I don't expect more than a few touches for him throughout the year

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I hope he gets into a game.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

He did play some special teams last week. Today, Rex Ryan said he is not up to speed yet, since he is learning a completely new position.

He does not expect Woodhead to play anytime soon unless there is an injury to another WR

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This sounds familiar... Brad Smith, anyone?