With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

I don't think anyone would take Benjamin over evans

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Just re-saw this post, that's a bad job outta me. I blame it on the lack of sleep LMFAO.

Mike Evans is probably the 2nd rated WR...I don't think he falls to us unless he runs an awful time.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I pray Jets trade down with this pick.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

why?

jets have 8 to 12 picks in this draft, if the trade down and add 2 more picks thats 10-14. thats 3-5 guys that are almost guaranteed not to make the roster. on top of that this team lacks top end talent. the offense in particular has pretty good depth if they had a top t.e. or w.r. to move everyone else down a notch to their rightful position on the depth chart. i am by no means advocating moving up, but staying put and taking the BPA might be the best move to make this year. there is only a few positons that can't use the upgrade

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Jets could trade down and grab Jordan Matthews, and in the process acquire a 3rd rounder - I would be down.

6. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

I agree, if Watkins, Evans, and Lee are gone by 18 I would say this is a good idea, but I think by the time the draft comes he will be considered hands down the 4th best in the class so at 18 you might have to take him.

7. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Ebron > Matthews... I feel if both are there at 18 we have to go with the Tight End... Having a dominant Tight End that is faster than linebackers and bigger than safeties, has much more of an effect than a receiver that can get shut by good corners... The draft is so deep at reciever this year so Tight End should be our number 1 concern... Just take a look at Gronk, Hernandez, Thomas, Grahm..... A dominant Tight End can change everything..

8. BravesNolesnJETS12

BravesNolesnJETS12 New Member

Kelvin Benjamin at 18?.....I like your style...I LOVE Benjamin and I'm in the process of making a few mock drafts for the Jets to post on this website...Benjamin is on my Big Board for the 1st round in every single Mock i'll make...I won't pick him at 18 in every mock that I make, just for the simple fact that other JETS fans want to see a variation, but I love him...The thing I love most about Benjamin..Well there are several things really, but with his Long arms and HUGE leaping ability, with a Not so...."accurate " QB in Geno, I believe that Kelvin Benjamin's Catch Radius would be of the most value to the Jets...He can catch balls that 95% of recievers can't catch..Including The "great" Mike Evans. I am still researching and watching film on all my guys before my mocks are put up, but I love this pick at 18.

9. BravesNolesnJETS12

If the Jets could trade down & grab Kelvin Benjamin i'd be beyond thrilled...This kid is special...( I've watched every game of his college career), however I really really like Matthews too.

10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

You are a FSU fan.. A little biased??

11. BravesNolesnJETS12

Funny you say that about people commenting on how people talk about players they haven't watched at all..I watched every game of Benjamin's college career at FSU & the dude is a stud...He will be a much better NFL player than Mike Evan(I watched most of Evans' games too, because I liked watching Manziel, so i'm very familiar with both.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

First, you don't know me, and the experience I have studying the draft and College players. I've been just in this draft forum for over 10 years.

I never said Benjamin was a bad player, he's a very good player that has outstanding NFL potential. He is still a little raw, needs to run better routes and amp up his work ethic.

Evans is clearly a more ready NFL prospect, but Benjamin has a higher ceiling. Nobody knows for sure which one is going to be a better NFL player in the long run.

My Statement about some people talking about players that have no clue about is very true, don't take it personally, I wasn't necessarily referring to you.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Evans would be a great addition if Geno was going to be playing QB next year. 40%+ of his catches were on come backs with Manziel on the run.

14. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

I agree with you 100% if Ebron is there and the top 3 receivers are gone or even if Lee is there it's a tough choice but my previous post was based on solely take a WR at 18.

15. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I just want somebody semi-polished. I've had it with "raw with upside" - that's how we end up with Hill and Vlad. Until we actually show that we can develop a prospect like that I'll take floor over ceiling.

16. BravesNolesnJETS12

Not biased at all....Didn't you have the Jets drafting Benjamin at 18? This kid is a STUD...He is huge at 6'5-6'6 and 235. He is faster than Mike Evans, can jump higher, has a much larger catch radius, he can Jump to the moon(not literally), Kelvin Benjamin will be a star in 2 years at the most. I'd take him and the next best avialable WR at 49 if we can't trade down, either Beckham Jr,Jordan Matthews(those 2 are my personal favorites),Jarvis Landry,DaVante Adams, Paul Richardson, Brandin Cooks, or Martavis Bryant(another WR that i'm really big on)...Then with our 1st 3rd RD Pick I would draft a Te...1 of ASJ(Won't be there most likely, or Troy Niklas, Arthur Lynch, or C.J. Fiedorowicz...All of whom can block and catch...Then I would go OLB with our 2nd 3rd Rounder...I'd have to take Christian Jones(if he's still there or Telvin Smith if he's still there..Call me biased, those guys can ball),if they're gone then with our 2nd 3rd rounder i'd take bpa @ OLB or Safety in guys like OLB's-Dee Ford,Michael Sam,Jeremiah Attochu, or Carl Bradford(if the guys before Bradford are taken, I'd consider these safeties as our 2nd 3rd rounder-Terrence Brooks(I know, FSU), Jimmie Ward(really big on him),Ahmad Dixon, or Craig Loston....I'd Prefer one of the 1st 4 OLB,s I mentioned(How'd our last linebacker with the lastname Jones from FSU do? Marvin Jones...Pretty well wouldn't you say?...Our last WR from FSU...Lavearneus(sp) Coles...Pretty decent, wouldn't you say? But if for some crazy reason all those guys are gone, i'm either taking Re'Anthony Thomas or my personal favorite weapon of this entire draft ...Dri' Archer with a 3rd round pick...Maybe it's a reach, but he will be gone after our 4th round pick for sure. This kid is a PLAYMAKER. I want him more than almost anyone in this draft. So here's my 1st 4 pickswithout giving any reasons at this time(That will come later)
    1) Kelvin Benjamin
    2)Jordan Matthews,Odell Beckham Jr.,Jarvis Landry,DaVante Adams or paul Richardson.
    3a)Austin Sefarian Jenkins(doubt it), Troy Niklas,Arthur Lynch, CJ Fiedorowicz or Christian Jones if none of those TE's are available(I think at least 1 will be)
    3b)Christian Jones/Telvin Smith,Dee Ford,Jeremiah Attochuat OLB or Safety-Terrence Brooks,Jimmie Ward,Craig Loston or Ahmad Dixon or Dri' Archer at rb/wr.
    4)Dri' Archer(if available{i'd reach at 3b for him},De'Anthony Thomas,Seantral Hendreson-OT
    5)OG-Dakoda Dozier,Brandon Lindler, or Brandon Thomas or CB-Nevin Lawson(I'm HUGE on this kid),Deion Beloue,or Rashaad Reynolds.
    6)RB-Storm Johnson,Tyler Gaffney or QB Brett Smith(doubt he's there) WR-Devin Street,Josh Huff(i'd consider him at 5),Cody Hoffman,L'Daian Washington,Josh Stewart or Tevin Reese
    7) QB-Logan Thomas...*( I'm big on this kid and can't believe he is this underrated) or another OG

Not including FA signing....OLB Orakpo or Worilds(probably the latter due to $ & injury concerns)S-Byrd,T.J. Ward(preferably...cheaper) or James Ihedigbo(sp), CB's Alterraun Verner, Walter Thurmond, and 1 of Captain Munnerlyn, Aqib Talib, or Vontae Davis. WR's Decker ios #1 on my list, Maclin then Golden Tate or Emmanuel Sanders...If the Jets off-season looked like this then I personally would be a very happy man... I will Break down a detailed version of my Jets Mock draft asap.

17. BravesNolesnJETS12

I never claimed to know you man. Ease up. We are all here because we are JETS fans. I like to think that I can breakdown college talent quite well myself. No hard feelings. I just personally think that Evans looked so much better because he was targetted the most on his team by a wide Margin by Manzil...Winston threw to Rashad Greene much more than Benjamin and Benjamin still managed 1,000 plus yards, 15 TD's on only 54 receptions. He also got looks taken away from him by Kenny Shaw(who I think the Jets should look to as an UDFA ), and Nick O'Leary mostly

18. BravesNolesnJETS12

Plus i'm HOPING the Jets can steal Jimmie Graham away from the Saints(yea right) or at least land Dennis Pitta in FA...I'd Draft Kelvin Benjamin(or even Mike Evans over any of the TE's in the 1st round)...Vernon Davis is the exception...How many TE's have been succcessful 1st rd draft picks compared to WR's?...I'd Draft Evans or (my man) Benjamin over the other mainly because of one thing the others don't have...a VERY LARGE Catch Radius...Which is what you need with a not so "accurate" QB..In Geno Smith. ( I am big on Benjamin over Evans mostly because i'm 99% sure the Ravens will draft Evans)...We need a WR that can go up and GET balls when Geno is off target.....I wouldn't cry if we drafted Ebron, but I really hope that we upgrade our WR core immensely if we do draft a TE in the 1st.

19. BravesNolesnJETS12

You mentioned Thomas(from Denver) & Graham, alonng with Gronk and Hernanidiot....Well 1st, they ALL have Hll of Famers throwing to them and 2nd...Graham and especially Thomas have GREAT Receivers around them.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing this is how the play makers will stack up at the draft.

1. Sammy Watkins.
    2. Marqise Lee
    3. Eric Ebron
    4. Mike Evans

OK, so you have 3 defensive lineman that are going to be rated in the top 15 or so in Clowney, Nix and Jernigan. You have 3 LB's up high in Barr, Mack and Mosley. You have 3 OT's in Matthews, Robinson and Lewan. Then you have the QB's, with 2 of them and possibly 3 going off the board before the Jets.

It's not such a stretch to see Evans falling to 18. Especially if you have a few fast risers after the combine, which seems to happen every year.