With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This may be a spicy take but end of round 1 is littered with tackle depth. I would be very okay trading down to miss on Fuaga to get someone like Fautanu or Mims (around 20-21?) and maybe recoup 50ish in the 2nd for someone who wants McCarthy Penix or Nix

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing strongly for trading Breece, just saying that IF he could bring a big haul in return it should be considered.

I do agree that using pieces from the defensive side is preferable.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The defense is probably as good as it’s going to be… and most of the starters are coming back. Sure they could use a run stuffing DT, a S and maybe some LB depth but to get to the playoffs the Jets need a lot of help on offense. I’d start with two OTs, another guard, a #2 WR, a back up QB, and maybe even another RB to take the load off of Breece and Izzy….

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A guy like Hall with his combined running and catching skill is absolutely not disposable at this time and there is no way in hell we should trade him. Instead trade that POs OC staff for a bag of peanuts and bring people than know how to use him properly and open holes for him.

UK_Chilts and NY Jets68 like this.
  5. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

100%. I would much rather weaken the defense to strengthen the offense if necessary. We can get by with a middling defense, clearly we can't get by without an offense.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm a BPA guy and that would extend to drafting a QB if that's the case

good QBs have been drafted in this range, e.g., Mahomes and Watson. And we will definitely need one soon enough. Might be nice to get a guy and have him sit behind Rodgers for a year or more. It's the smart way to do things (and something we haven't done with rookie QBs)

this of course depends on a good QB falling to that spot and us having enough smarts to identify such a talent as being the real deal. The latter part is the real issue for us. Somehow i would hope that Rodger would chime in on that and that it would be a case of talent knowing talent (a concept i wholeheartedly believe in)

We need another draft like 2 drafts ago

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

As long as it’s not Penix!!!

I didn’t like one single thing watching him against Michigan…bad mechanics, poor accuracy, missing open guys and throwing into coverage instead…shit…we’ve seen that for three years now with Zach…and I think Zach has a stronger arm than he does.

Someone is going to draft him and he’s not remotely ready to be playing QB in the NFL…

The_Darksider, Ralebird and LAJet like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We definitely need a new young QB but there's no chance we take one in the first round. Douglas and Saleh are playing for their lives next season and won't burn a 1st round pick on a backup. They need to win immediately.

Would be pretty shocked if it's not OL or WR.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

But needing multiple OL replacements would suggest that you should find multiple OL, doesn't it? Not throw your hands in the air and say 'we need three, so no point in drafting one!'

Even adding a competent left tackle to our line would improve it a lot. It may be the second-most important position in football. And I'm sure we will bring in one or two others in free agency, and maybe get a guard or tackle depth in the third round of the draft. There are your multiple OL replacements.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. REVISion

Going from a league-worst LT like Becton to a decent one has more impact than going from a decent one to a great one. OL is about having no glaring weaknesses, not necessarily studs at as many spots as possible.

WR likely offers more bang for our buck, because actual stud WRs are more important than a single stud RT or LT.

There aren't many great efforts at quantifying positional value in the NFL, but this is the closest I've found:

https://www.sloansportsconference.c...ar-modeling-player-value-in-american-football

According to that, WR is the 2nd most important position in football. Intuitively, I think this makes sense. The NFL is a passing league so it makes sense that the people throwing and catching passes are the most important players. You can also get around a bad OL by getting good WRs the ball quickly and letting them do damage after the catch. The reverse is not as true, or said differently, a single good OT is not going to buy you much extra time for a mediocre WR to get open.

PFF has its flaws, but that paper was presented at the biggest sports analytics conference in the nation.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, I can certainly see your point, REVISion. Personally, if we weren’t going to get a top LT I would prefer us to trade back and maybe pick up a second-rounder. Get a decent left tackle AND a decent right tackle maybe. I would prefer two decent tackles to one great receiver. I would like our o-line to look like an NFL o-line for once. Just a personal opinion and I can see the allure of another good target.

12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Again, my ONLY problem with this scenario is...let's say they DO get a premium LT. Does the fucking coaching staff BREAK him before they finally get fired by the shit stain Woodrough?

Also, again, I'm not SOLD that we have horrible o-line talent! What I am sold on is that the current coaching staff couldn't coach a bunch of Pop Warner kids. There's no way in holy hell I can be convinced that everyone on our o-line is bad when most of the guys we've supposed gotten rid of, because they can't "cut it" on our super team, have gone to other teams and either done extremely well or, at the very least, been good. So, I'll ask ONE MORE time...what is easier, finding top shelf to good o-linemen or a damn o-line coach to coach up the ones we have thus freeing the teams hands to draft what is needed!!!!!

#172 mezzavo, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    ouchy likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Equally as important, if not more so, even if you do identify a great QB, you need to be able to develop him. The Jets have proven to be incapable of this. Given that, they ought to pass on wasting any high draft capital on a QB until they prove they can develop a young QB.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't buy that paper. Modeling player value in football is very hard to do, they barely show what their methodology even is, and other analyses have found different results. Also that conference is notoriously clubby.

15. REVISion

That's fair, it's definitely not as straightforward as baseball or basketball. Curious to see the other analyses if you have them on hand.

I guess I'm inclined to believe the one I linked because it roughly matches what my eyes tell me. Offense is more important than defense and passing is more important than rushing so it's not a leap for me to believe QBs and WRs are the most important single players.

I guess there's an argument that OL as a unit is more important than WRs as a unit. Even then, I'm not sure a single OL is more important than a single WR if both are equally good at their jobs.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

These are a couple I'm aware of.
    https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/ha...g-eecs-2023-thesis.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0169207018301559
    In general, all the studies agree wide receivers are among the more important positions, but one you linked to thinks a group of three receivers is 1.75 times as important as the OL, which I don't buy. And it's hard to judge whether their approach makes sense because they don't really say what it is.

#176 HomeoftheJets, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    REVISion likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The thing is, it's not like if we miss out on top 2/3 tackles, we are downgrading from top tackle to a decent one. Whoever we get in the second or even late 1st may not even be decent. The tape is very shaky on these prospects. They could be decent or good, but they could also stink. The point is, we cannot afford to miss on the OT. If we can get Olu or Alt, I have some confidence that at the very least they will be decent. Fuaga - maybe as well has a high floor, but need to see more there.

So, I do agree that a top WR is worth more than a top OT, and all we need is a solid one. Where I am worried is that if we do not pick a top OT prospect, who will almost certainly be decent or better, we may not not end up even with a decent OT, and we absolutely cannot have that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I really feel like they are going to put AVT at LT for the ultimate flexibility going into the offseason.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Check out Connor Rogers' top 10: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/news/...ams-drake-maye-still-on-top-for-connor-rogers

Alt and Fashanu gone by 7. I highly doubt either one slips to 10. It will be interesting if one of the 3 top WRs slips to 10 though, it may be very hard to pass up with Fuaga as the next OT perceived as a big drop off from top 2. With that said, there is a pretty sizable drop off after Fuaga at OT also. Mims started only a few games for Georgia at RT with limited success. Morgan and Fautanu had mixed success and are probably Guards at next level. JC Latham appears to be a RT, but very inconsistent. Fuaga appears clear cut #3, though a lot will depend on his athletic testing.

20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

He also threw the ball 300 miles an hour to guys who were 4 yards away. Like you, I wasn't impressed with him at any level the other night.

Jets79 likes this.