With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're starting to display what we call "bend".

Pepsiguy5 and Sundayjack like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They aren’t paying Sauce MC2 and Reed. One is walking and it isn’t Sauce.

Getting more picks for a roster where only a handful will even make the team isn’t the recipe either. You can’t just draft 10 players to say hey I had a 10 person draft class. That’s a waste of resources, but it wouldn’t shock me if JD did that since he sucks at resource allocation as it is.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And now we have an extra 6th to throw to the 4th after the Zach trade.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  4. dawinner127

Okay that’s fine and I’m okay with going all O, but there still really isn’t any scenario where 7 rookies make this team or PS.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If...IF...you nail the pick you trade up for it makes a lot of sense. But that's a big "if", especially with Douglas. That said, trading up to grab Alt would be a great move. Draft picks are worthless unless they turn into a good player, and many - most? - don't pan out, again, especially with the Jets. Maximizing your chances of hitting on a "stud" by moving up then is sensible.

As to where are they going to get the money? I don't know, I'm not a cap and salary guru, but a lot of good GMs manage to do this, so Douglas needs to figure it out. As a fan I don't have the experience or knowledge to figure out cap scenarios, I can only articulate what I'd like to see happen. I don't think most fans - even the most knowledgeable - can much more than that.

chandler likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In general you are right, but we have to consider specific situation. If the difference between getting Bowers/burring Ruckert (effectively wasting a 3d rounder) and getting Odunze and giving opportunity to Ruckert is a 4th round pick (even with a 6th to add, which we just got for Zach), I am pulling the trigger.

dawinner127 likes this.
  7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Totally forgot about that play. Seeing it now, tough to say what went wrong between Penix and Odunzae. Definitely a blown coverage.

All Gas No Shake and REVISion like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Without knowing the play book, it sure looks like Penix held on to the ball too long and made a shit throw. Rome already turned to his left, presumably at that point the ball should be in the air already. But Penix releases after seeing Odunze already turned to his left. Now he throws to his right, not left! Odunze tries to adjust but can't. I can't put this one on Odunze. Though this doesn't say much good about Odunze either, it's not like he beat his guy, got separation, etc. It was just a blown coverage. A neutral play for Rome's evaluation for me.

9. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We should do this!

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Trading up for an LT is one of the few situations where I think it is acceptable, but in this situation, the Jets need a WR almost as much as they do an LT. Unless JD can use a future pick to trade up or get some team to accept our low-round picks or one of the 4ths and a 6th, it will prevent them from drafting a good WR prospect.

With regards to the cap JD has already done a lot of restructuring and pushing money into the future. Unless JD signs the 5th year option on AVT or signs him to an extended contract, the Jets are going to have 32 FAs next offseason, 11 of whom are starters: Reed, MC II, C. Clark, T. Adams, T. Smith, M. Moses, AVT, M. Williams, T. Conklin, H. Reddick, & J. Kinlaw (that's 4 out of 5 starting DBs and 3/5 of the OL starters), 21 backups (6 of whom are key/top backups, and all of our depth at DT, LB and the secondary except for JBC) - Echols, T. Hayes, I. Oliver, A. Davis, W. Schweitzer, J. Hanson, C. Glaser, J. Sherwood, C. Surratt, T. Smart, M. McCrary-Ball, S. Thomas, L. Fotu, J. Holmes, B. Hector, I. Charles, M. Taylor, K. Yeboah, Z. Kuntz, N. Bawden, and X. Valladay. In addition, the Jets need to extend JJ, Breece, G. Wilson and Sauce. The Jets have about $62.2 effective cap space for next year. How are they going to re-sign all of their own FAs that they want to keep, much less have money to be big shoppers in FA and extend their young quartet of core players? Rodgers' cap hit is HUGE for the next couple of years. I don't know where you or anyone thinks he's going to be able to find all the cap space.

11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

We have to be all in this year , we have half the team as free agents next yr and not a lot of money to sign them All in this year so the pick at 10 needs to contribute this yr and large. We have a 1 year window. It might even mean a draft day trade of 10 for a superstar. This is our yr or bust

Rockinz and westiedog1 like this.
  12. dawinner127

The Jets have nearly $70m in cap going into 2025 with 42 players on the roster. That number can get up to $127 with max restructures on:
    Quinnen
    JFM (Hes prob gone anyways, but whatever)
    Reddick
    Quincy
    Greg The Leg

The number can go up over $130in cap with a few extensions if they wanted to key players. Let's calm down about the money. The concern for the money is in 2026 and 2027 when GW, Sauce, and JJ need to be resigned. 2026 is 5th year option for those guys.

The guys I bolded are going to make less than $20 million lol. Why are you even concerned about those guys? They are JAGS.

#1612 dawinner127, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Trading up for a tackle would be alarming considering the guys making the decision won’t have a job when that tackle is ready to start.

AtlantaJet and dawinner127 like this.
  14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I saw a mock the other day that had me thinking. The Pats traded back to 11 and still took Maye, if Maye falls to 10 all my plans would go out the window, I would absolutely grab him at 10 and not think twice.

chandler, REVISion, LAJet and 3 others like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That sure would be interesting! I would think a trade down could be very lucrative if he falls to 10

abyzmul and westiedog1 like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It would only be justice to trade back and give the Pats' binky to someone else.

17. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Here is the thing and push back issue I have always had with the logic btw:

Everytime I flip on ESPN and hear one of Mike Tannenbaum's endlessly shallow takes. Which always and without fail sound like they were directly stripped at random from some opinion post he probably read on a message board just like this one before going on the air. *THIS* is a guy who scored both a GM job in the NFL, and an executive vice president of football operations on another. That guy, and those takes.

Like everything else in life sometimes being smart has nothing to do with ending up in those positions lol

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It’s the old saying: it’s not what you know, but who you know. Luck plays a large part in it too for sure.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Would not disagree with that. He is a a lawyer and presumably a cap expert, so he is smart in some area, but that does not translate to personnel knowledge nor talent evaluation. That is another skill base all together that few GMs actually have, mostly developed by years of expertise in the business coupled with an uncanny sense of players and coaches ability to perform and flourish at the next level.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’d say Mike Tannenbaum is pretty smart though. He wasn’t a very good GM in the long run for either franchises but he’s a smart guy.

He just never should’ve been in charge of making personnel decisions over the long term.