With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

100%

I'm glad someone flat-out said this, because I've danced around it a couple times. It's not that I don't like Rome Odunze. It's hard not to like the kid. But Washington had a talent-rich passing offense in a conference where no team even cracks the Top-50 in pass defense. Outside the conference, he played well against Texas in the playoff - another really soft pass defense. Against a really good Michigan defense he did nothing particularly eye-popping.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I would trade up to 8 for Alt in a heartbeat if the cost is a 4th.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The question is how he wins and if it will translate to NFL. He is not winning by getting open a lot. A lot of it is contested where he wins even if he is not open basically. Against NFL CBs this is harder to translate. Take a look at this, and you can subscribe for free for one month then cancel to see full review, which had about 50 all 22 plays and analysis.
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/04/06/ny-jets-draft-rome-odunze/

What @REVISion , @Sundayjack and others are saying is true, he doesn't pop off, he basically wins with great hands and contested catch ability against lesser talent. To me there is a big drop off between him and Nabers. I still think he is a solid pick at 10 or even if we have to do a small trade-up, but I don't believe he is in the same category of the guys you are mentioning like J Chase etc. That's when Nabers is for me.

4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Titans had one of the worst rated o-lines in the league last year, and are currently re-tooling an offense around a 2nd year QB prospect. There is chasing clicks pre-draft hype, and actual on field consideration realities that would be criminal to ignore. Titans going OL at #8 is probably and by far the best top 10 pick bet in the draft beyond Caleb Williams going #1 imo.

The one thing i liked about that Joe D interview the other day is the implication he made about preparing for a draft that he basically doesn't expect to include a run at QB beyond the way more obvious and rational top 3 slot fits. Since i still can't see Alt making it past Harbaugh (the concept idea he of all people actually drafts a TE with questionable blocking at #5 just doesn't fit for me there), and I want to believe Joe is not going to fall into a panic in the event he wants OT and there is already 3 off the board by the time the #10 pick rolls around. With the 1 guy he really expected to be there no longer being there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For whatever is worth, the NYJ interviewed for first round consideration three receivers, namely Nabers, Bowers and Odunze, and three OL, namely Alt, Latham and Fautanu.
    I'm guessing that unless they are trying to send a smoke screen, all these are legitimate candidates for us. Of those the only one that I would consider moving up for is Alt, otherwise let the board come to you or trade down. Much of what I read about OL is that Latham technique with the propensity for holding needs to much improve for the NFL.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think that could be the final straw for Joe D. He's missed on too many draft picks and traded up too much. If he trades up for Odunze, that's it man, he better be good and good right away or its yet another brutal mistake

Davante Adams it took to 3 year to get going by the way. If Odunze follows a similar path, Douglas, Saleh, and Rodgers wont be around to see his production

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I just don't really understand why people are so against trading up. I find it highly unlikely that this team is making use of all 7 draft picks they possess this year. Majority of these picks won't even make the roster.

I think the obvious needs are:
    - Safety help
    - an OL depth pick / signing
    - a DT
    - another pass catcher
    - RB2

RB2 will likely be a veteran in June or July. They can still sign a DT, but I would like to take one in the 4th. The veteran safety market has been the equivalent of the RB market last year. Quandre Diggs would be a great get after the draft. So that leaves 1 or 2 OL and another pass catcher. There isn't much room to have 7 rookies make this roster or PS.

chandler, BacktoQueens and Borat like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

Because they dont have a 2nd. (Douglas traded that away)...A trade up means they aren't picking again until Saturday! 1 pick and we will see ya'll two days and 3 rounds later. That pick better be fucking GOOD

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I would rather see them "neglect" defense this year and go all in on offense. I'm okay with their safety room - I think it'll be as good or better this year than last when it was fine - and even DT if you factor in JFM rotating inside some. Barring a trade down, I'd prefer a DT no earlier than the 6th. I'd like more than one OL and minimum one pass catcher, maybe 2, in the first four rounds

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It is pretty pitiful. The Jets have just been brutal come draft time. But just like hope springs eternal I hope they will get it right and start to build something great. We all deserve it.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I believe the Jets could have thrown darts and picked better than this, just horrible revisiting.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Penix also didn’t do squat until he played with Odunze

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We wouldn't have to give up our 3rd to move up two spots. Value wise, our first rounder (10) and first fourth rounder (111) are 1372 points, the 8th overall pick is 1400 points. If they want to get it closer then throw them our sixth (185) and that gets you within 10 points of even. There are plenty of combos that get you close without giving up the third rounder. You can also move own in the 3rd if Atlanta is the trade partner.

That would all depend on how much you value Odunze and most talent evaluators have him as a top tier talent.

14. BrowningNagle

I think that's incorrect. He did pretty good with an overmatched Indiana team

15. BrowningNagle

right well we will see how that goes. I'll believe it when I see it. I dont see a team trading down from within the top 10 and not getting at least a 3rd rounder for it

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The value chart rules all. If we gave up our third without getting a third back we'd be getting rocked value-wise... 10+72 for pick 8 would mean we are taking a hit that is equal to the value of a late second round pick. Even if the Falcons added in their fourth rounder we'd be taking a huge hit on the value chart. That's just not happening. And if it does then yea, you fire the guy who makes it.

10+72+185 (6th rounder) for 8+79 would be the most realistic option unless we tack on another 6th or 7th to make it worth their while. And I'm high enough on Odunze that I'd have no problem.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because trading up in the 1st round is not the way to build a roster. Getting more picks is better than less picks. Since they don't have a second round pick, I think it would be foolish to give up their 3rd or both their 4th round picks. If anything, they need to trade up to get a 2nd round pick. I don't care about the 6th and two 7th round picks. Package those along with one of the 4th round picks and a pick from 2025 or 2026 to get a 2nd round pick this year.

The Jets don't even have the cap space to sign their draft picks, and they need some money in case of emergencies during the season. Where are they getting the money to sign FAs after the draft? The Jets are going to have a slew of FAs in 2025, including quite a few starters and key backups and are not going to be able to re-sign or replace them all. They have to make a decision on AVT, and need to extend MC II, Reed, JJ, G. Wilson, Sauce and Breece.

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

He would have had a 50 yard TD if Penix didn’t misread this play

19. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Bowers I at least get from a unique asset perspective from the GFIN crowd wanting to zero in on him.

Outside the extreme fantasy takes there is still multiple WR sitting in the FA that can likely give the Jets as much or more then Odunze will realistically project to do as a year 1 WR3 prospect in the Hackett offense. Unlike elsewhere it's also a lot easier to find good WR we can get excited about latter in drafts.

Unless people are mixing in the same beyond 2024 fit factor a lot seemingly want to dismiss outright on OT it's ultimately the most flawed logic stance take atm/imo.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

do the Falcons even want to trade back 2 spots

I’d think they would be willing to trade back for something more lucrative