With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I have watched him and I like what I see a lot. Still, he is a TE, I am not sure why this statement is wrong. He can be good in a slot too on occasion, he can make a difference, I am not disputing any of this. But he is going to take time away from Conk and Ruckert, whom we invested in already with high pick. Which is fine if we did not have massive other holes to fill, compounded by picking McD last year. He is not a separator, which is what I think of when we talk top WR prospect, in spite of his good straight line speed. He is not a WR. He cannot be our WR1 for example if GW is hurt. We need a true separating WR, who could be WR #1/2- after we address OL. Again, I like the guy and would consider him under different circumstances, but he is still a TE, and we need OT.

As I said, being fine does not preclude us from drafting a great prospect, but what precludes us is lack of anything good in other premium positions, like OL and even WR2. And no Brock is not a WR. At TE we have two players who can be really good with a better OL and a QB, one of whom was drafted in 3d just two years ago and improved and the other very underrated. So, yes, I do like Brock, but we are just not in position to spend a top 10 pick on him, that's really all I am saying. And that he is in fact a TE :)

#141 Borat, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Btw, check this out, AVT is progressing, but hasn't discussed yet with the doctors if he is going to be ready week 1. Which makes sense, we are talking about a 310lb guy, who got hurt in Oct and who needs to fully push off his Achilles with the other guys pushing him to practice. realistically we are looking July/August to start coming back. We may need someone to start first few games. Basically only Tipp is confirmed day 1 starter right now. Need 3 more starters at OL, and several solid back-ups who can come in and spot start. I personally am not sold on Carter Warren. Showed flashes, but should not be higher than OT5 at this point. Max, Billy, Wes are wastes of roster spots. And we are talking about drafting Bower at 10. If that happens, I will be the one looking for a new TV again like last year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

It is this, isn't it? For me, this includes the first rounder, free agency and potentially trading a defensive player or two for proven O-Line value.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

A smart GM should have been operating under the assumption that he would be limited or unavailable for most of next season. Hard to see Joe Douglas do anything but assume he will be at All Pro level for every position at the Oline by week1.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I'm predicting Jets will take a DT with the #10 pick who they can ease into a 20% snap share over the course of the season because he'll be "the best player available on our board" even though no other teams will be blowing up the phones offering to trade for him.

6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

With the 10th pick we could trade down though the options aren't plentiful. We could swap first round picks with the eagles for one of their second rounders.
    Detriot has two thirds. Maybe they would be willing to part with their second for a first round pick swap.

Anybody see any other good options for a trade down?

7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

It's hard to predict anything like that before we know the draft order for the playoff teams. Also hard to tell because trading back means there needs to be a demand for the player available or expected to be available. It's way too early to tell, but I'd love to be in a position to drop a few spots to regain a 2nd round pick.

8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You've convinced me. But if someone else loves him, let's trade out and let them have him.

9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Trade back. Get OLs and WR with first three picks.
    QB - wait until 3rd round
    Bowers - there are some good TEs later
    Penix - no way I take him in top 2 rounds.

barfolomew and stinkyB like this.
  10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

probably have him pencilled in as the starter at every position so then they'll be like "OK we have our 5 starters and are happy with them so just need a few back-ups"

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If the 4th, 5th ranked QBs get hyped up enough there could be a trade down scenario at 10. Otherwise I wouldn't count on much.

There are still a potential to move up and get Alt, or a better trade down, by doing something like offering the Chargers Breece. They are losing Ekler, and Hall with two years on a rookie deal would be tempting. Would suck to lose Breece but what is harder to attain in this league, a premium RB or a premium LT?

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s hard to find a player of Breece’s calibre. I don’t think it’s easy to replace like you make it sound. Is it easy to replace McCaffrey? I think Breece probably has the capability to be on his level if used correctly and McCaffrey’s haul was 1 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

BradysTornACL and REVISion like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The niners are an outlier with trades because they at a top 5 team that keeps going all in. If we could find someone to go all in on a trade than go for it. Also, McCaffery makes yards where there aren't any. The guy had a 1000 yards rushing and receiving in 2019. What Breece has going for him is his contract.

The truth is RBs have become disposable in this league, especially after their rookie contracts. 10 year LTs are way harder to find, if that is what Alt becomes. We aren't going anywhere before we have to pay Breece. That said, it wouldn't necessarily be just Breece for a trade up. You have to massage the deal if there is anything there to bite on. Just trying to be out of the box here. There is no real long term plan ATM so we have to look at what we have, what we need, and what is the best solution.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree that most RBs are pretty much interchangable, and a lot of their success is predicated on OL to open holes for them.

What makes Breece special, though, is his vision and cutback ability. He has the speed to go all the way at any time, as we’ve seen, but many RBs have that. What isn’t as common is his ability to feel and sense and see a hole on the backside or make a quick cut and take off. He’s done what he’s done behind a shit OL. Imagine what he could do behind a good OL?

And we’ve only begun to snip the surface of him as a receiver. He is crazy good in space.

I get we need OL, but I would not trade out Breece…he is one of only two weapons we have now. Him and GW. And he makes yards on his own pretty damn well.

We for sure need two starting OTs…I think IF AVT comes back, he should man one of the guard spots, we can work with Tipp at C, and then would love to renegotiate down Tomlinson at the other guard spot…not because he’s played well, but just because we already have to find 2 starting caliber OL…if we move on from him that makes it 3. Hard to do. But if we can get a receiver in free agency and a tackle in free agency, then we can use that first pick on the best OT or if the top three are gone, use it on a good receiver. But that means we’ll be looking for OT with our 3rd round pick. And that’s risky. I’d much prefer to use that first rounder on OT.

As for trading down from 10, it’s tough…its unlikely that such a good player is there at 10 that other teams would give up a second rounder to move up to 10…it’s just too late in the draft….if we were at 5 or 6 I could see it, but at 10? Doubtful that we can recoup a second rounder by only moving back a few spots…the only way I could see that is if we were to drop in the bottom of the first round, and I’m not sure I’d want to do that.

So we’re kind of stuck with 10…hopefully one of the top tackles will be there for us.

Borat, barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I get it. And right now we don't have a long term plan. ATM were trying to cobble together a 10 win season that will need to be torn down in 2 years. It such a dead end. All we have right now are a few chips that we wont be able to cash in in two years. (Garrett should never be traded though). Its really time for a soft rebuild, but that is wishful thinking on the Rodgers train. I think I'll take some time away to think about other things during the playoffs.

16. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Well Chicago fired the OC today, so I'm taking that as fairly firm confirmation they are trading Fields (again, mistake imo) and taking Caleb at #1 now.

So that basically is one less potential tackle pick off the board before 10 now (with 2 picks they were guaranteed to take 1 imo).

Assuming we pick at 10 and don't pick swap down to 13, of course ;)

LAJet and barfolomew like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really like Breece. He's the best RB the Jets have had since at least CMart, maybe even better, but you're right, it's easier to find top, long lasting OL than it is top, long lasting RBs. Moreover, Breece should bring a haul which can be used to fill critical holes, especially on the OL. It would be a tough trade to make, but the Jets finished last in offense - again - with Breece, so it's not like he made that much difference. There are MUCH bigger problems and holes to solve.

ouchy and barfolomew like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Breece is 23 years old next year and second runningback contracts aren’t that much, on top of the fact that we can extent him until he’s close to the drop off age of 27-28 because he’s so young.

If you want to get us two first round picks, sure let’s do it, but maybe let’s keep our better players rather than shipping them out for a second or third round pick? Especially offensive playmakers.

You really wanna go back to having Michael Carter, Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell as the top backs?

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, IDK if we could get 2 firsts - unlikely - but two 2nds and a 3rd might be possible and worth it IMO.

Second, no I don't want to "go back to having Michael Carter, Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell as the top backs", but I sure don't want to endure any more shitty OL play, do you? Of course if there's way to keep Breece and upgrade the OL into a solid unit this year, I'm all for it, but I think all options towards that end have to be on the table.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I just don’t think it makes sense to rob Peter to pay Paul on offense. I’d much rather explore moving some defensive pieces than weaken the offense even more. We’ve seen that shitty receivers and weapons are just as much of a detriment as shitty offensive lines.