With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMG NO.....throw out that crystal ball yikes (sorry)

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have to totally disagree with you regarding trading up. That's a fool's game. The Jets do not have the draft capital to be able to afford to trade up. They still have too many needs. The only player I would consider trading up for is Alt, and I wouldn't even do it for him, as the Jets cannot afford it. I've seen no one talk about Alt's athleticism, only his rock solid technique. IMO players like that have often maxed out their potential, and as they age, and whatever atheleticism they have gets worse, the level of their play can deteriorate. With a players who is supremely athletic who has lesser technique, he has room to get better and better as his technique improves, and his level of play can stay high for much longer. The only danger with those players is if they don't work to develop a solid technique, they just settle for getting by on their athletic ability ala Cromartie.

As for the ranking of players I'd want JD to draft, it's Alt, Fashanu, Fautanu, Nabers, Fuaga, Odunze, Latham, Bowers. I have zero interest in Harrison Jr. He will go too high, and I think he could wind up being a Diva and a major headache. I would be perfectly happy with one of Legette, Corley, R. Wilson, Pearsall, and B Rice at WR in this draft.

3. NCJetsfan

It's not very often that we disagree, but this is one of those times. There are plenty of options for LT in this draft. If JD doesn't think that any of them are capable LTs, he is the problem, not the OTs in the draft, and he must go. As much as I'd love to add Alt, the Jets cannot afford to trade up. IMO that would be one of the worst possible moves he could make. If JD takes any position other than OT in the 1st round, I want him fired, even though I think an argument can be made for WR, imo the need for a starting-caliber OT going forward far outweighs anything else.

#1543 NCJetsfan, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    Kronoking likes this.
  4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah trading up should not be an option imo. I'm on team OT but I acknowledge it's not the only option there's an argument to be made for WR as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I see 10 different names

6. BrowningNagle

yeah good point Rodgers basically runs the team

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Would be an interesting article to read, and I get it’s talking about generalities, but it’s hard to make those. The draft is too specific to players and team needs and coaching strategy, etc. For example, the “better to trade down” strategy would imply that you’d rather have a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks than one first rounder, and in general, that’s probably not going to help you build a championship team because true star players are way more often found in the first round than the fourth.

Or another way to look at it could be…would anyone trade Kelce for our 3 TEs in Conklin, Ruckert, and Yeboah or whomever else? Of course not. Because one superstar is worth way more than 3 average guys (and I happen to like Conklin a lot).

Or the comment about the first pick being the worst. Totally depends on the year. So for us, it was the difference between a REAL QB in Lawrence and what we got 2nd overall with Zach. Night and Day. So the first pick was ABSOLUTELY better. Other years it may not be. Last year, the 2nd QB taken was way better than the first when you compare Stroud to Young. It just matters on the particular draft. Other years, there isn’t a QB worth taking so the first pick may not matter much. Just depends.

I just don’t think you can make generalities like that really…

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If Rome is there at 8 and all it takes is 111 and a future 4 5 or 6 6 to go get him you do it. One of JDs biggest knocks has been how bad he is in the middle rounds, go up and get a stud at a position of need.

chandler and NOVAJET like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In a broad sense, yes, I agree, I want OT and nothing else. That said, none of us have the info that Douglas has and there may be "flags" that preclude drafting anyone other than Alt at #10. Personally I don't think so, I think Fashanu would be a good pick, but again, I'm not a professional who has spent countless hours reviewing film and other data, as well as having a full staff to help with it all.

What I'm pretty confident in saying is that Douglas damn sure knows he has to get this right, and have the Jets into the playoffs this year or he's gone. So if that assumption is correct then I have to defer to his best effort on this. If he's wrong, you'll get your wish.

NOVAJET likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I don’t like that plan

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Alt had a 9.92 RAS which ranked 12th out of 1306 offensive tackles from 1987-2024. He's crazy athletic.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Yes, Alt is a step above the rest of the linemen. If he’s available at 10 it’s an easy pick. I don’t think he will be though

13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

He's a true building block and the only tackle I would take in the top 10.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

That's great to hear. I wonder why none of the scouting reports have talked about his athleticism.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. Rome will be there at 10. I predict Bowers goes ahead of Odunze and so will Fashanu. If Odunze, Bowers and Fashanu are there at 8 I’ll sit pat or trade down. Anyone of those three that falls to us are great assets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was talking about possibly trading up to #8 in the context of the alternative being drafting Bowers - if JD decided he wants a play maker at 10. If we draft Bowers, effectively we are wasting a 3d round pick in Ruckert anyway, since he won't get an opportunity to be #2 TE. So, in this case my preference would be to give up say a 4th and get Odunze vs get Bowers, and effectively waste Ruckert (3d round pick).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Depending on who is left, yes. If all it takes is a 4th to get Odunze over Bowers, JD has to pull the trigger.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’d make that move. I’d rather not give up a 4th as we already are short a 2nd. If we can’t get a tackle at 10, I’d prefer Bowers plus a 4th to Odunze and no 4th. If we still had our 2nd then I’d think about it. But to me, I would rather not give up picks when we are already short a 2nd.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I'd also prefer not to spend capital, but in the scenario we are describing, aren't you effectively giving up a 3d just with a mere selection of Bowers? Wouldn't you prefer Ruckert to actually play this season over a 4th round pick? And Odunze over Bowers? If so, the choice is easy. I would probably just get an OL in this case, but if the choice is Odunze or Bowers, I would invest a 4th (and as a result get a lot more out of a 3d pick Ruckert) to ensure we get the former.

20. NCJetsfan

Why not Fashanu?