With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This team was all rumored to be very high on Gibbs last year regardless of already having an alien in the backfield. Just put weapons and good football players on the field and watch what happens. We are one rolled ankle away from watching Mike Williams off an ACL and Allen "Let me play in the world cup" Lazard from playing meaningful snaps.

chandler and JetsNation06 like this.
  2. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

How many “good” OT’s are traded for 6th round picks?

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Very effective way to evaluate a player. That's how you end up saying things like Morgan Moses, who has been graded above average for the last 5 years, is not good.

Old, sure. One-year solution, sure. But that's why he was traded for a 6th round pick. Not because he's "not good".

4. Bills over Jets

So how many good OT’s have been traded for 6th round picks with 1 year left on their deal?

5. BroadwayAaron

I'm not going to go research something that doesn't matter. When you're ready to evaluate someone based off their actual play on the field as opposed to what they were traded for, let me know.

NOVAJET likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Go look up the % of Bowers' catches that were behind the LoS. Go look up the percentages on where he lined up.

7. BroadwayAaron

Thank god I missed that post. You have to live under a massive rock to say that Bowers isn't used in unconventional ways.

REVISion likes this.
  8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Seems like the Bowers camp is focused on what they perceive as BPA, and the OL camp is focused more on need. Same story every draft

i personally am in the BPA camp but don't follow college football so can't say whether Bowers is a BPA over some of the OL candidates (assessed independently of need).

I do think the OL insurance argument is not strong. If that's the reason make a trade for someone you have already seen play in the NFL. (see, e.g., Moses for a sixth). Some highly touted OL are turnstiles as rookies. Now we're talking about using one of them being a backup (i.e., not practicing much with the 1s) and then coming in when Smith goes down. Sounds super risky.

If you're selecting the OL for the future that should be based on BPA-ness. If he's at 10 great. If not, trade to a slot where your ranking of him compared to the slot value suggests it's a bargain.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact tat the QB greatly helps the OL. Nor should we forget that Rodgers got hurt because the tackle essentially fell to the ground on purpose (i forget what it's called but it's like a legal cut block) and the defender just hurdled that. A stupid and quirky play/injury. I just have to think with mediocre talent on the line (not that i am happy with that) we will see a quantum leap in offensive efficiency.

Yes a BPA tackle could be great
    Yes a BPA TE/slot/whatever could be great

Someone brought up how Sauce was kind of a surprise (given needs, and the thought we would be zone), and then last year McD was a surprise (just as Gibbs would have been, which was mentioned post draft). Who will be this year's surprise?

9. Bills over Jets

I’m aware. See my post you quoted. I’m saying that’s not really unconventional anymore for move TE’s. Many teams are doing it and have been doing it. But, it’s not a necessity to have that, it’s a luxury.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely team offensive weapon over OL with the 10th pick. I am also convinced they sign Bahktiari in July and thats your back up LT and hopefully you get 17 games combined between Tyron and DB. The only OL I would be okay with is Fautanu because I think he can be an immediate impact this year, I have no interest in the other guys.

11. REVISion

You are not aware lol.

Bowers caught 48% of his passes behind the LoS. Kincaid caught 6% behind LoS his final year of college. Laporta had the highest % in the last 10 drafts at 22%.

NOVAJET and BroadwayAaron like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure whom you are talking about, but I don't think anyone said he is a TE who cannot get YAC. Everyone acknowledged he is a great YAC player. But as far as running the ball, he got 28 yards last year rushing. Not per game, total for the entire season. You make him sound like an amazing running back and a great WR. When that's not at all the case, and we can say he is a TE who has great YAC ability and can play in the slot. That does not make him a WR or a RB (not with 28 yards total to his name).

Again, as you can see I rated him pretty high, but I just don't like the narrative where he is not a great TE prospect, but actually a WR and now also a RB. He is a dynamic TE, a weapon, we can agree on that. I can see a Kittle perhaps as an upside, but let's not assume he will be transforming a TE position to something we have never seen before in NFL just yet.

ColoradoContrails and NOVAJET like this.
  13. REVISion

He's closer to a WR than a TE.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not really. He can line up in the slot - sure, but no one is taking even a slot WR that high. He is a TE, who can line up in the slot, get YAC. He is not X or Z guy, which is a key attribute of a top WR, so he is certainly not a WR.

If you view him as a slot WR, that's not even a 1st round pick. He is a great TE prospect with YAC and slot ability, which makes him a top 20 pick, but not top 10 IMO. I think #15 or so is where his value is.

That's not a great thing though. If anything a bit concerning. It does show he is a great YAC guy, which was never in dispute.

15. BroadwayAaron

No I didn't. That's you embellishing so that you can use it in your argument. And you continue to do it all the way to the end of your post. Who said he's going to transform the TE position? No one even implied it. The fact is he's unlike any offensive prospect we've seen in a long long time.

What I said is he's a threat to run the ball. He has it on tape in college, if we're smart (even though we aren't) we'll do it in the pros if we draft him. That changes the way a team defends whether or not he runs it. How many deep threat receivers are on the field solely because they are a threat? That doesn't mean they are good or that they are even gonna see the ball, it's a strategy to try and get the defense uncomfortable and question the way they play. A guy like Bowers offers you multiple ways to do that.

REVISion likes this.
  16. REVISion

How is it not a great thing lol? He still had high yards per catch. Higher % passes with high yards per catch are a win.

The more I debate this Bowers/no Bowers thing the more I'm convinced he should be the pick. The arguments against him just don't make any sense.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this. Outside of trading up for Nabers or Odunze if either are there at 8, I have no preference between TE or OL at 10. But the more we have this convo the more I'm like... of course you go Bowers, why the hell would you not?!

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bowers would be without a doubt a luxury pick. They keep hyipng him as some game changer. It's just a position the Jets hardly use and that would be a luxury pick that is not needed at this time. This is why these nuts will do exactly that at @10. A wasted pick for sure.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Because the Jets will just use him as a blocker. He's not gonna stretch the field in the NFL. That means he's an extra blocker. Rather have a regular offensive tackle or guard to keep Rodgers upright. Expecting a rookie TE to be that guy right out of the box is risky. He's not that forceful of an inline blocker.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

This is certainly an opinion.

boozer32 likes this.