With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m having a hard time getting my head around TE at 10. I vote no. Firstly, with AR it may be better utilized but honestly, we are ok at TE with Conklin and Ruckert and the need at OL and WR are both SO much more that if one of the top OTs are there for us, that HAS to be the pick. If those top three are all gone then likely there is a good WR there, so that would be my second choice. If no good options are there at OT or WR, then I’d say trade down a bit and take the best available OT at that spot.

I haven’t watched this TE play, admittedly, but just from a principal standpoint, I don’t like it.

SOJAZ, papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

On top of all the excellent points you raised against drafting a TE at #10, there is the issue that the Jets don't know how to effectively use one. If they had Travis Kelce he'd be lucky to get 40 targets and 500 yards on this team. If the Jets draft a TE at #10 it will save me from having to ever waste any time following them.

Borat and Jets79 like this.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Odunze or Nabers. Hopefully one is available.

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

im assuming WR will be addressed before the draft. Im using the 10th pick on one of the 4 tackles and the 3rd round pick on a interior olineman for depth. they cant play around this year

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed. We go through this year after year in FA, very rarely do top OL make it to the period, let alone a tackle.

ouchy likes this.
  6. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

100 % - i know people here are going to pound the table for Jonah Williams, who is soild but not great and will be paid like a great one. Same as Laken Tomlison

ouchy likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We got through year after year watching our o-line hamstring our offense. Then we come into a good o-line draft and people want a WR or TE. Surely we understand by now that without a solid base we cant build a sturdy tower, no matter what material we have. Not only do we need to go tackle in round 1, we need to acquire more picks and go more o-line. That is, since we're stuck cobbling together this failed art project.

The truth is we need to blow some things up and get back to building a solid sustainable roster. I'd shop Rodgers with the option to eat his salary this season, move some pieces around and get back to building a genuine long term winner. Were at a huge crossroads and instead of taking the right turn, were going to just drive straight off the road, again. Its like 2021 all over again.

8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If they take anyone, and I mean ANYONE on the defensive side of the field, I will go insane.

Pepsiguy5, REVISion, mezzavo and 3 others like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed…but I honestly don’t believe they will…the defense has been very good…it may lose some pieces like Huff but it should still be good…I think it’s pretty clear to everyone including JD that the need is on offense. If we’re going to run AR out there then we need to protect him.

But JD pretty much said this in his press conference anyway…he sees the need at OL and WR.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not sure what the money aspect has to do with the potential impact that the TE position has on an offense. I doubt the Niners, Chiefs, Ravens, Lions, etc. care that a decent chunk of their receiving production comes from the TE position. If anything, they're getting WR2 level production for a fraction of the price, seems like a good deal to me.

I like Conklin and Ruckert but neither one of those guys are game-changers like Bowers would be. Being "fine" at a position shouldn't preclude us from drafting elite guys at that position.

I've already said that a trade down, OT, or WR would be my preference at 10 (probably in that order) but what happens if Alt, Fashanu, MHJr., Nabers, and Odunze are all off the board by 10? All I'm saying is I think we could do a lot worse than a 6'4" 240 lbs receiving threat that runs a 4.5.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think we should take Bowers but I also think people need to go back and watch and see how he actually plays rather than just seeing “tightend” and saying no way!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As you've alluded to, in the right system, he's going to be an absolute terror at the next level.

Would we utilize him correctly? Maybe, maybe not, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if he ends up being our pick at 10.

13. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If Georgia makes the FBS Bowers goes top 5

14. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As far as the Jets developing a TE ... that's another problem. Kyle Brady makes the HOF on KC

mezzavo likes this.
  15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Better go get your order in on a straight jacket now because I can absolutely see them going with some Kool-aid to pair with the Sauce. Write it down here. The lack of imagination with this entire F.O. is stark and staggering.

16. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

The only thing I disagree with, in your statement, is drafting a tackle in round 1. This team has so many holes they really need to trade OUT of the 1st round entirely and grab as many picks as they can. With the shit stains we have manning the coaching positions, the only thing that is going to net us any serviceable players is quantity. The Jets have to throw as many "darts" at the board as they can to get one or two decent players. I have an unequivocal lack of faith in this team's ability to foster ANY offensive talent at all and I surely don't want them wasting what little cap space they have with 1st round millionaires.

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

If you do not have a good OL to block it doesn't matter. Fix the OL please, and stop with the WR./TE BS.... OL, OL, OL BUT I gotta tell you I am worried because our GM presser he stated they will be taking BPA....

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The question of what's more important, a single OT or a single WR, is an interesting one.

I don't think it's black and white even considering how bad our OL is. We need multiple new OL. A single OT isn't going to impact how good our OL is that much. A good OL is about having no glaring weaknesses along the line, not studs necessarily.

I think there's a strong argument that a single good WR does more for our offense than a single good OT. I'm pretty tired of GW being our only legitimate downfield threat. It's not sustainable for us and it's not sustainable for him.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

From the mocks I have seen I doubt Bowers is even there at 10 so it's likely to be a moot point.

20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

He maybe shouldn't be our actual pick but he does strike me as the kind of guy that might be leveraged to the right team (Bengals) for the Jets to do a draft day trade down and turn our 1 pick into 2.

He seems like just the kind of player that the right team might be correctly willing to make a move like that to trade up and stab.