With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, you know that's not the argument. Stop being disingenuous. I've said in numerous posts that he would be the backup this season, and the starter going forward. Getting him here early and letting him learn from Smith and Moses would be invaluable, and make him even better and play at a higher level sooner. I've also said that with a tight cap next season, the Jets are unlikely to be able to sign a quality starter in FA, and we have no clue what the 2025 draft will be like with regards to OTs. Even if it has the normal number of quality OTs in it (5-10 or less), what are the odds that the Jets can get two starters out of that draft? That would be a HUGE risk. That's what you're advocating by passing on taking an OT this year and going with Bowers or a WR in the 1st round.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Jets fans are now doing the typical Jets organization thing where they overcorrect due to the most recent bad thing that happened.

Yeah, we had a lot of injuries on the OL last year. No, that's not remotely close to what usually happens. No, a single OT going down won't torpedo our season. No, you don't take a backup at #10 overall. No, the offense isn't going to look as stupid as it did last season assuming Rodgers stays healthy.

Rodgers is this offense. Hackett is not. Not taking Bowers because Hackett is an idiot is among the dumbest points I've seen on this board, and that's saying something.

Honestly the anti-Bowers points are almost too nonsensical to keep addressing at this point.

3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Okay, you clearly have never watched him play nor read the scouting reports. You haven't even read the evaluations of the pro-Bowers posters on this board. He was listed as a tight end in Georgia's offense when in reality the majority of his snaps came in the slot and split out wide. He even had 5 touchdowns from the backfield.
    In 11 personnel (single TE) he will be the large slot receiver, taking Lazard's role - Conklin at TE. In 12 personnel (2 TEs) he'll line up opposite Conklin.
    He's not replacing Conklin, he's an added weapon to the offense.

With regard to a first round tackle, I'm betting that only happens in a trade down scenario. JD has already spent 2 first round picks on Oline. I'd be surprised if Bakhtiari isn't the swing tackle when the season starts.

REVISion likes this.
  4. REVISion

Plus, why are we concerned about Bowers taking snaps from Conklin? Conklin is the definition of mid.

I said this before but he's been in the league for 6 years and has never had more than 600 receiving yards in a season or more than 3 TDs in a season. We're worried about someone taking snaps away from him? Lmao.

BrowningNagle and Trainer like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I couldn’t disagree more with this talk track of “spending the 10th on a backup” line…I think an OT will most likely play this year. I also think this team NEEDS a long term solution at OT. So using the 10th overall on a tackle I believe 100% will help THIS year AND in the future.

I also think that the hype on Bowers is getting so much play that it’s going to be hard for him to live up to these expectations…folks are acting like he’s going to be this 1,000 yard / 8 TDs type guy. I am no expert on him, but I’m thinking if we got 600 yards out of Conklin with the shit show we had at both QB and OL last year, he should be able to do more than that this year IF he has a healthy AR at QB and a healthy OL to give Rodgers time. So to be such a huge upgrade over Conklin, Bowers would almost HAVE to be a 1,000 yard type guy. Is he that? Hard to tell.

I just think that after 5 years of fucking around on this piss poor OL, when you have a draft with strength at the position, Jesus man go get a fucking tackle and fucking FIX THE OL!

It’s SO Jets-like to have a draft strong in something and then have the Jets try to outsmart everyone else and go off the map on some other position.

I would LOVE a Kelce/Kittle like TE. No question. If you really believe he’s that guy, then I understand taking him. However, outside of those two guys, there aren’t a bunch of superstar TEs. There are a bunch of good to very good TEs. Truth is many of them don’t impact games like those two guys do. You’d have to fully believe Bowers is in that class.

And again, by the way…NEITHER Kelce or Kittle were top ten picks. TE’s typically take a bit of time to develop and grow into that role. There’s a reason most aren’t highly drafted top ten type guys. Kyle Pitts is the last one I can remember being a top ten pick. Has he lived up to the hype? He’s very good, definitely. But he’s not a game changer. Maybe he will continue on the path to becoming Kelce/Kittle, we’ll see.

I don’t know, I get the allure of the talk track saying look, we invested in two starting OTs who are above average. Let’s get a weapon. I get it. But to me, the smarter play is let’s fix the fucking OL for THIS year AND the future.

Of course it will depend on how the board falls. But if one of Alt or Fashanu are there, I’d take either guy over Bowers in a split second. More important position AND much more dire need.

Now, what do I think JD will do? Honestly, I think he’d take Bowers and roll with Moses and Smith, and then go get a backup swing tackle in free agency to compete with Warren and Mitchell. That’s my honest opinion of what he would do, especially if those top two tackles are gone.

I’m not saying I’d hate Bowers on the team, I just think OT would be the smarter play.

My two cents

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Smith is here for one year. You rarely find great plug and play OT’s in the later side of the first round, which is what optimally we’d be picking at next year if all goes to plan. What you do find late in the first round and subsequent rounds all the time are great TE’s.

joelip likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You don’t draft tackles in the top ten and let them learn. It’s also not a position that rotates.

8. REVISion

I'm not saying we won't need an OT after this year, just that blowing #10 overall on a guy to redshirt him makes no sense. Especially when our GM and coach are going to be fired if we don't do well this year. It's not going to happen. Or it shouldn't at least.

9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

A G/T prospect in the third round will suffice as insurance this year and give us a long term prospect at tackle.

You can’t be a good team in this league and not hit on oline prospects in the middle rounds.

REVISion likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Says who? No OT comes into the NFL knowing everything he needs to know, nor does any other prospect.. No draftee is perfect. They ALL have things to learn, including the new offensive/defensive scheme, protections, coverages, etc., and ways that they can improve their technique. You're just being obtuse, looking for petty points to create an argument and ignoring important issues and points.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Position, position, position.

Tight end in the top 10 is a recipe for disaster. Almost as bad as going for full back "oh no" Roger Vick

I don't even care if we go for OT or not. IMO the smartest decision might be to trade down and collect more depth.

NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  13. REVISion

I get that, and I wouldn't dislike a trade down either. I just think Bowers is both the best TE prospect in a while and far from a traditional TE. He's a big wide receiver who can also run the ball. They used to use him for end arounds at Georgia. That's how fast and good with the ball in his hands he is. I don't think there's a single TE in the NFL who does that.

At the end of the day, he's an offensive weapon. And that's something we need more than anything now given how much of FA went towards the OL. We can take OL depth in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I really feel like anyone disqualifying him simply because he's a TE just hasn't watched him play at all. He's a YAC monster.

Trainer likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm in the pro OL camp especially with a trade down and more picks. I think there's plenty of arguments already posted for OL help.
    OL needs 5 guys per snap, more than any other position. Bowers IMO is a luxury pick, just like McDonald was last year.
    If the jets opt for Bowers, and I hope they don't, let's hope he is as good as you suggest. Regarding Bowers, you sound like the pro Zach Wilson crowd the weeks before the 2021 draft.
    You sure have a lot of confidence in the health of two 33 year old OT and an OG coming off a torn ACL who might be ready until October.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. You act like OTs aren't the 2nd or 3rd most important position on a football team or they grow on trees and the Jets can just find one anywhere. That is what makes no sense whatsover. Even if JD, Saleh and company are all fired after this season, OTs are less scheme dependent than a TE like Bowers would be. And if they are all fired, the Jets would never find a competent GM or HC to take the job if they have no young starting caliber OTs on the team, no cap space to sign a FA OT, and the 2025 draft is a crappy draft for OTs, and the Jets need to find 2 starting OTs.

#1235 NCJetsfan, Apr 12, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Borat likes this.
  16. REVISion

Watch this and tell me he's just a normal TE:

stinkyB and Trainer like this.
  17. REVISion

They aren't. And I'm getting a little tired of someone who didn't know who Amon Ra St. Brown was telling everyone they don't know anything about football.

chandler likes this.
  18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I was very anti Zach specifically because I watched the film. I said at the time that he was James Morgan 2.0 and we already had that guy.
    This team needs another weapon and I have Bowers ranked as the 3rd playmaker ahead of Odunze. The only tackle I would take that high is Alt and I'll be shocked if he falls.
    From Joe Douglas' perspective, the future is now, he doesn't make it to 2025 without a playoff appearance, which is why I expect Bakhtiari to be signed with Mitchell and Warren remaining in a developmental role.

REVISion likes this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

What?
    The only person who brought up Bowers stealing snaps from Conklin is Trainer (post 1213 in this thread)--it was not mentioned as far as I can tell from any of the pro OL posters.
    Conklin is "mid" ?? Interesting-- since YOU posted in this thread on January 7 "We have a decent TE in Conklin." (post 12, this thread) (emphasis added)
    What has a "decent TE" like Conklin done since January 24 to regress from decent to mid???
    Or is that why you are "LMAO" as you also just wrote?

We'll have to differ on this one. I want OL help now in round 1, trade down or not --for 2024 AND beyond. Feel free to respond--you can have the last word.

20. NCJetsfan

Just because I was wrong on one thing doesn't disqualify my opinion on everything else. Some of you guys are real pieces of work...petty, think you know it all, quick to dismiss someone else's opinions. Whatever. You're the one who is sounding like you know nothing about football right now, and when you can show your perfect record with players/prospects then you can cop an atittude with me, until then you know where to shove your attitude.

I'm tired of posters being jerks and spouting utter nonsense wanting to take a TE when we have a dire need at OT going forward. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen from a supposedly knowledgeable football fan.

tomdeb likes this.