With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I didn't expect him to run, but he delivered the goods. Still, as expected, this is a level below someone like Odunze, if we compare him as a WR. Also, when he weighed in, he didn't run, like you said due to injury. It feels like he is smaller than Kinkaid, I suspect Brock is closer to 230 than 240, but still for this weight it is excellent. But again, if we are looking at a WR, 4.53 is not ideal, period. He is a damn good TE though.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please let’s stop with the 40 yard dash as the key measure of a WR. For every Hill there are a lot of WR in the 4.3s that are a bust. Meantime Pacua with a 4.57 and Cee Dee Lamb with a 4.51 had 1500 yards last year. And oh yeh, how is Mims 4.37 or whatever worked out for him. I want total yards and YAC and TD as a key measure, with speed as a bonus. Not the reverse.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

OK, so, should the entire combine be cancelled then too, because some players who don't do well in some categories become good players and some of these who do well don't make it? I don't think so. I am only using this as a data point, not as the primary measure. And so far 40 speed kind of matched well with what I saw on tape from Brock, Odunze, and Nabers. The tape is really a key measure for me, not even total yards or TDs (Brock didn't have that many this year).

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m shocked with all the Bowers love. He’s the most overrated player in this entire draft. I don’t think he’s blocking anyone at the NFL level with his size and his separation/YAC abilities are also in question against NFL talent. I’m not touching him at 10. For me he’s a fringe first round selection.

At 10 if Alt, Nabers and Harrison are off the board you hope a team needing a QB wants to come up. Slide back 2-8 spots pick up a second this year and then take Brian Thomas, Fuaga/JC or Olu. That has to be the plan. Taking a pass catching TE reminds me of us taking Kyle Brady over Sapp.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The tape is not a key measure IMO compared to others. You are selecting a WR because of his capabilities as a WR, of which speed in the 40 is one attribute. In an of itself means very little if you are don’t have the rest of the attributes, ie, ability to run all routes, shifty versus straight speed, height and jump, catching in Traffic, contested catches etc etc. which are far more crucial. The fastest guy in the 40s does not make the best WR in most cases. That’s my point, and that is what scouts look at, not just the combine flashy stats, like the 40s and number of bench presses for lineman. You are looking for football talent first and foremost. Not workout warriors or straight speed demons. As you well know In the NFL you get rewarded by catches, yards and TDs, all else be damned.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Trading down might not be an option, in which case best OL or WR on the board comes to play. At ten I’m hoping to get an immediate contributor for AR, so if the powers to be think this guy Bowers is the real deal and better than the WR available then so be it. Our freaking TEs had zero TDs last year, and the best two TE in the NFL are not know for outstanding blocking, but because they move the chains and are a threat to score. But what ever JD does with the first pick, he better be right.

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Gronkowski may seem like a big dumb jock, but that motherfucker knew every route, every blocking assignment, every hot route adjustment, every soft spot in a zone, all of it. Zach Wilson is a smart kid, he’s football stupid. There’s a lot of morons in the NFL that are brilliant at knowing the game of football. Kids that excel in college from elite athleticism while having little experience learning and understanding NFL concepts have a very high bust rate. All this said, I’m not necessarily against drafting Bowers, even at 10. But don’t tell me a guy who doesn’t exactly translate to the position he’s being drafted to play doesn’t come with major risk.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No he didn’t. That’s just not true. And he often butted heads with Belichick for his questionable work ethic

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think we go WR. Odunze could slip to 10 or shoot for the moon with Brian Thomas if we can’t move back and pick up a 2nd.

We can get a TE that is possibly better for the NFL than Bowers in Ja’Tavion Sanders in the 3rd/4th round

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Odunze seems to get a lot of attention as of late. What are your thoughts on him,

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I also want to know about their route running, drop rate, and how they do in contested catches.

LAJet likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Colts really want Bowers and might be interested in moving up to 10 to get him. Great trade back opportunity for the jets.
    Also, would be nice to fleece the Colts the way they fleeced Mike MacIdiot out of THREE jets second round picks in 2017.
    And, that trade was made a month BEFORE the draft and before MacIdiot even knew who would be there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think Mims would be perfect round 1 pick for jets in a trade back to the late teens. NFL-ready body but needs seasoning and help which he could get from Morgan and Smith.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let's just say Bowers is everything his supporters say he is, even so, the real question is: Who will make the most difference for this Jets team in 2024, a (presumably) great TE, or a stud OT who can fill in when one of our starting T goes down, and who can become the LT of the future?

Or to pose the question another way: What would happen to the Jets chances of making the playoffs if they didn't have Bowers vs. not having a capable backup at OT?

I have nothing against Bowers and I tend to believe that he will become a very good, if not great, TE in the NFL, but he's not going be reason the Jets make the playoffs or not.

BradysTornACL and tomdeb like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely right. I responded the very same on another thread: running all routes, contested catches, shiftiness and separation versus straight speed, jump balls, % of catchable balls, among others all take precedence in my book.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It would be SOOO Joe Douglas to take Bowers and repeat his blunder of round 1 2023--drafting an undersized player at a position wherein the jets are already loaded.
    Any NFL QB you ask will tell you that the key to a successful passing game is first establishing a viable RUNNING game.
    From what I've read Bowers tries hard to block, but is nothing special.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bowers for 17 games or a fill-in rookie tackle for 5-6 games? I mean once again, the argument that we need a tackle to be an injury fill-in for next year is extremely flawed.

You wanna argue that he’ll become a tackle of the future, sure I’m definitely in. I don’t think it’d be a bad use of a pick whatsoever. But needing tackle depth for 2024 is just dumb.

You should be very upset we haven’t signed a tackle rather than needing to use our primary (top ten) draft pick to handle that need.

abyzmul and REVISion like this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Yeah--but he couldn't play S for shit lol

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Who will make the most difference for the Jets in 2024? The guy who is likely to start every game vs. the guy likely to start maybe 5? I'm not sure how this is even a question.

If our OTs don't miss significant time it's a completely wasted pick. Morgan Moses has been highly durable for pretty much all of his career. Tyron Smith is injury prone, but you don't spend a #10 overall pick on injury insurance. It's a colossal waste.

This "take an OT" mindset is a complete overreaction to the injury bug we had last year. Having that many injuries to the OL in a single season is a complete outlier. You don't spend a #10 overall pick to protect against an outlier scenario.

The Jets are loaded at TE? Come on. Our TEs had 0 combined TDs last year. Conklin has never had more than 600 receiving yards in a season and never more than 3 TDs in a season.

Conklin is fine, but he's not remotely the same talent level as Bowers.

There's a strong argument for drafting a WR instead of Bowers, but I've yet to hear any logical argument for taking an OT over him.

#1200 REVISion, Apr 12, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2024