With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Arm length is the new bend.

ColoradoContrails and Dierking like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I disagree. Skill positions are more valuable in the first round. I do agree the OL needs a makeover but this draft is incredibly deep at OT I think it’s foolish to take one of the 3 Fs or JC at 10.

Alt is the only OT I’d consider at 10 as I feel he will be a generational talent. I’d even considers moving up a few spots for him.

I feel if Alt/Nabers are off the board the jets trade back with a team looking for a QB.

KingRoach and mezzavo like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Your arms too short to box with Mark Sanchez.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yo momma arms so short she couldn't hug a Red Bull can.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets do any of those 3 options, who is going to play RT? I want them to sign Smith, but he may not play beyond this season, and even though he played 13 games last season, there's no reason to think that he will again this season, as he has missed a ton of games over the previous 2-3 seasons. Even if he does play 13 or more games this season,who is going to play the other 3-4 games? That still doesn't answer who will start at RT. Please don't tell me Mitchell or Warren. Even if they sign Jonah Williams and he plays as well as he did at RT last season, who is going to play LT for the Jets? Drafting a WR at #10 would be foolish and grounds for firing. This is JD's last chance to fix the OL. Drafting a WR at #10 would be such a SOJ move.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I disagree

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Turning 24 in Oct, a bit short, not the best running game, but good pass pro this season. Good prospect though I agree. I still think Latham and Fuaga are ahead. Latham is 2.5 years younger.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Fair point I never considered. We need to be cautious with some of these kids who took an extra COVID year. Prostate cancer.

abyzmul likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Brian Thomas Jr is better than Odunze and might be the best WR in the entire draft. Harrison is a great prospect and I love Nabers too but BTJ can’t be slept on. He is Julio Jones 2.0

For me this is the ranking on the top 5 WRs

1. Harrison
    2. Nabers
    3. Thomas Jr
    4. Odunze
    5. Coleman

10. Rockinz

We are basically on the same page except I like Nabers or Brian Thomas over Bowers.

If Alt is off the board who I also believe is a generational LT than I feel the only 2 options are viable and that’s Nabers or Thomas as they are fantastic receivers and would open up the offence for this team. My problem with Bowers at 10 is that he reminds me too much of Kyle Pitts as an undersized TE for the NFL that can only be a one dimensional pass catcher. At Florida Pitts was also the entire game plan for Florida and he was big enough, fast enough and skilled enough to dominate in the NCAA but when he came to the NFL he couldn’t play that big boy football because the linebackers and safeties are just too athletic.

Now if Alt is off the board I’m all for trading back for a king’s ransom from a team looking to jump the Vikings/Broncos for a Quarterback.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

It's crazy isn't it? They get all up in a "tizzy" about arm length yet, in my mind, all that means is he can "hold" better and faster! LOL!!!

Seriously, isn't teaching offensive line 101, "keep your hands in?" In fact, in every training "camp" I've ever been in they HAMMER that home! I remember one o-line coach I knew, back in the early 90's, strapped his guys arms where the elbows were pinned against the player's torso. They then went about going through pass blocking exercises. It was to learn muscle memory of keeping their hands in so they wouldn't hold. Crazy...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm all for a WR at 10 if they can address OL in free agency.

Let's say they can sign Tyron Smith (maybe 14m/yr?), Jermaine Eleumunor (4m/yr), a swing OT like Cam Fleming (3m/yr) and an OG (Zeitler or Jon Runyan ~8-10m/yr). It's a long list, but not impossible. I'd also like more OL in the 3rd/4th round of the draft.

13. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

While I totally agree with this take (investing super heavy in a WR2 is essentially pointless imo until we get rid of Hackett) , I don't think it's as improbable as some people are making it out to be.

I mean the one thing we know for an absolute fact about what this FO/Arod would like to do this winter is they want make a big splash at WR. We know this because of the bad poker hand they been playing since the FO and PR team, in all it's bad team wisdom, felt a prioritized need to immediately leak that otherwise completely unnecsessary report at the conclusion of this past trade deadline on their plans to seriously chase after Davante Adams in the offseason (like what other sports team does that there in that spot? That was top shelf stuff as far as pathetic desperation looks go)

Badly run franchises tend to do bad and poorly thought out things. With free agency shaping up in a way that it's not even going to offer the opportunity for the Jets to be stupid on a big name guy, their #1 spot in the draft might end up being their only chance to bring in that WR they feel brings enough buzz worthy appeal to the table.

#673 Kronoking, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Yes, sadly, anything is possible, but if the Jets ignore the OL in FA and sign a big name WR or even if they sign Smith and another good OL, but then draft a WR at #10 rather than drafing an OT for the future, then regardless of what their record is this year, I'll want everyone in the FO, CS and ownership fired straight into the sun.

mezzavo likes this.
  15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I'm working under the assumption that Harrison Jr., Nabers, and Odunze will be off the board before pick 7. That means Alt could potentially be there if the Jets trade up. I would not trade up for Bowers, but if he's there at 10 he's got to be the pick. If not, trade down and you can still get Thomas with a later 1st assuming the LT spot is secured in FA.

16. NCJetsfan

I strongly disagree. While Bowers is a great prospect and flexible weapon, and I'd love to add him, he's a luxury. The Jets already have two pretty good TEs. A small case could be made for taking Nabers or Odunze if they are there at #10, but even that would be nuts as they don't have jack at LT. The odds of solving the LT spot in FA are slim and none. The options in FA are as follows:

Tyron Smith
    Donovan Smith
    Jonah Williams
    Becton
    Charles Leno
    Cornelius Lucas
    Duane Brown

While I hope the Jets can sign Tyron Smith, he is 33 and will become 34 during the season, I believe. He played at a very high level last season, playing in 13 games last season, but left 4 games early. In 2022, he only played 4 games. In 2021 he only played 11 games. In 2020, he only played 2 games. So over the last 4 seasons he has missed around 36 games. From 2016 through 2019 he missed 3 games per season. He is hardly reliable, and just because he was able to play 13 games last season doesn't mean that he'll be able to this season. Donovan Smith is their 2nd best option, he's 31 and not that good. If he was, the Chiefs would have extended him and wouldn't have let him walk in FA. Jonah Williams, is young, but he's never been very good until this past season, and that was at RT. He would be a pretty big gamble. He didn't miss a game the last 3 seasons, but neither did Tomlinson the last 2 seasons, and we know how good he wasn't. I don't think anyone wants Becton back. I KNOW no one wants Duane Brown back. Are either Leno or Lucas worth a damn? So basically, Tyron Smith is our best shot, but who's going to play LT when (when, not if) he gets hurt?

The only thing the Jets can do is try to sign Smith, and then pray that Fashanu drops to #10. Even then, I've read that Fashanu probably needs to start out at RT his rookie season, and then move over to the left side in 2025. I think the only other two OTs in the draft who are a scheme fit and conceivably could start their rookie season at LT are Fautanu (and he may be better off at OG) and Morgan. Neither is as good a prospect imo as Guyton or Fuaga. Fuaga is supposedly limited to RT and some think OG. Latham is a RT. Mims and Guyton are LTs but they are projects and probably shouldn't see the field in 2024 except maybe in a backup role. Paul isn't a scheme fit. Suamataia and Amegadjie are even bigger projects than Mims and Guyton. There is no way the Jets should even be thinking of trading up or of taking a TE or WR at #10.

We cannot afford to trade up, so the idea of getting Alt is a pipe dream. Tyron Smith is the Jets only hope for a good season, and even with him, they still need Fashanu, Fautanu or Morgan to learn from him and back him up, then play once he gets injured. Anything else, and Rodgers might as well just go ahead and report to the hospital and forget about playing this year.

ouchy, Borat and joelip like this.
  17. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

We cannot afford to trade up, so the idea of getting Alt is a pipe dream. Tyron Smith is the Jets only hope for a good season, and even with him, they still need Fashanu, Fautanu or Morgan to learn from him and back him up, then play once he gets injured. Anything else, and Rodgers might as well just go ahead and report to the hospital and forget about playing this year.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

What about long arms that have good bend?.... probably detrimental to the position, but sounds like another potential talking point

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Long legs is my thing so you guys can swoon over arms if you want

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interesting article about Fautanu: https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/03/21/ny-jets-draft-comparison-horses/
    He is climbing up the draft boards, being compared to AVT, but with longer arms. JetsXFactor says no so fast.

Also turning 24 this year. I am always vary about older prospects who are not dominating. Fautanu seems like one of these guys. He was not a notable player in College, playing against much younger competition. A solid good OT every year. And above film shows there are big flaws. I would not be happy with this pick to be frank if it is high in the draft. For me OTs are in this order: Alt, Fashanu, JC Latham, Fuaga. Anyone else I would be OK on a rather significant trade back.