With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, he needs to make some moves, just trading down and using draft picks will not upgrade this team to the level they need for a win now mode. So I’m guessing he will use future assets to trade for some vets now.

ouchy likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If anything Sr Bowl hurt Fuaga's stock. He did not look any more dominant than Guyton or Morgan. You know who looked dominant? Powers-Johnson. That guy looks to be ready to be a plug and play C. Not that I would take with 10, just saying what mauling looks like. With Fuaga, he was solid, and from what I have seen had some good reps, like Morgan and Guyton, but some of the videos I saw where he was able to get the other guy down, he actually gave up a QB pressure. Don't take me wrong, I think he is a good prospect, but as of now I am very hesitant he is a top 10 guy nor that he is better than someone like JC Latham.

Arm length matters. There is a reason why all the best tackles in NFL have longer arms than Fuaga., it's not just a giant coincidence. Notable exception is Slater, but the guy is athletic as hell, amazing lateral quickness where he makes up for some of that and 9.7 RAS score. With Fuaga from what I have seen, that later movement is not great. Even in College, his pass pro was not amazing. He was more known for the running game. Did not improve pass pro from sophomore year. Playing RT he faced lesser competition as well. This is the case where his combine results might make a difference between being a top 10 guy vs a top 20 or a 1st round guy. This is not to say Fuaga is not a good prospect, I am just not convinced he is a top 10 guy nor that he will settle at RT vs G at NFL. Right now my hope is that Fashanu will be there at 10.

abyzmul, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There are several good mid-round centers that are going to be available. Jets gotta Jet though and overdraft a guy in the second round that they’re not even sure if he’ll last at center because he’s too tall.

Maybe Tippman turns out to be really good but we should’ve been able to find a center elsewhere.

abyzmul and ouchy like this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I fucking told you. I fucking told all of you.

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Alt, Latham, and Fashanu are ahead. Take a look at all 22 of Latham against Michigan. Latham had some good pass pro reps against better competition than Fuaga. . Also keep in mind that JC is just 20 years old, turning 21 this month. I want to see how they all do during the combine. But it is very possible Latham could go before Fuaga in the draft. Also, we don't know Fuaga's age. That could make a difference as well. I am not sure if either is worth a top 10 pick though.

What I don't understand is why people are counting on Tipp to be a great player next year. I mean I hope he is, but he was just average last year. He still has a lot of work to do to become a good player. For now though it would be nice to have a solid IOL back-up, someone better than CMG, who has regressed towards the end of 2022, and continued the slide in 2023.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know what the Twitter media was supposed to be, but it doesn't show. I don't know much about any of them, but based on what I've read so far, and by comments made here and one other site where I've seen Jets fans talking about OTs, Fuaga should be way ahead of Latham. Yes, Latham could go ahead of Fuaga, as could Mims or Barton for that matter. We always see surprises in the draft, and each team has different things they are looking for in prospects, and they run different schemes, so for instance, if Fuaga is better suited to a zone run scheme, then teams that use man blocking schemes wouldn't have Fuaga rated as highly as teams that run zone run schemes. Fuaga is a redshirt jr. so is probably 20 or 21. Draft Buzz has Fuaga rated as .1 of a point better than Latham.

Following are the links for what Draft Buzz says about each of them.

Fuaga: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Taliese-Fuaga-OL-OregonState

Latham: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/JC-Latham-OL-Alabama

I don't care which one the Jets draft, if either. I'd rather get Alt or Fashanu, but Fuaga and Latham both have great strong points and some weak points. Fuaga's arms may be a little short and his hips a little tight. Latham has limited footspeed. Latham's weight may a concern as it's 360 already, whereas Fuaga's is 332.

#426 NCJetsfan, Feb 3, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    Borat likes this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I know you are right. I just think the Jets are on the wrong track (what else is new?) with this Rodgers deal and wish the Jets had never taken this detour. I don't think he'll take the Jets to the promised land this year unless the stars somehow magically align in the Jets favor by striking the major contenders with enough injuries to allow the Jets to sneak in, provided of course he doesn't get injured again. As he ages the likelihood becomes less and less. I wish the Jets would just offer him a settlement and get back on track of finding a FQB. In this class there are a lot of good ones and one could fall to the Jets at #10, an opportunity that may not present itself again in the near future.

I don't see the need for an OT as that critical. Afterall, Rodgers agreed to come here to play behind last year's OL roster, so it couldn't have been as bad as most people seem to think it is. The critical component of an offense is the QB, not so much the OL. Nevertheless, as it seems we're stuck on the Rodgers highway, an OT isn't a bad choice but I think a better one is WR to give Rodgers another weapon.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think we need a Powers-Johnson blocking to let a Penix find open holes in the defense...

abyzmul likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are pretty close, and Fashanu may not be far ahead either. They are consensus top 4, but the order differs depending on whoever evaluates. Alt is clearly top guy, high floor, high ceiling, kind of like Sewel. But, we won one meaningless games too many to get him. I think the combine may be the deciding factor between these other 3. With everything else close, it would make sense to bet on more athletic younger player.

Though I like the fact that between these 3 Fashanu faced tougher competition at LT, and did really well at pass pro. Of course he may not even be there at 10. But I am looking forward to the combine, where we will get the missing info.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I agree with the 1st paragraph and it would be great to have the rookie be able to sit behind Rodgers and learn for a year.

The second paragraph I disagree. LT is either the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football (QB, LT and Edge). As we saw this past season, a subpar OL that lacks in discipline and cohesion will sink an offense. Rodgers agreed to come here but I'm certain he thought that JD would do a better job solidifying the OL and there wouldn't have been all the injuries. Another weapon won't do Rodgers or the offense any good if Rodgers doesn't have time to get him the ball, or if Rodgers is either flat on his back on the turf, or not even playing because he's injured again.

#430 NCJetsfan, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    SOJAZ, westiedog1 and Borat like this.
  11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! You're greeted with open arms.

SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where this actually excites me.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This draft is very weak in my opinion when it comes to depth. After Alt the tackles are not worthy of a top 10 pick. After Harrison and Nabers there is a WR worthy of a top 10 pick.

If the jets had any sort of intelligent offensive plan they take Bo Nix at 10 and solidify the back up QB position that ruined our season last year. And guess what if Rodgers stays healthy then GREAT!!! Nix can sit a learn from one of the best for a year or 2. It’s win win. We’d be crazy to not solidify our Quarterback position in this draft and at 10 we can get a stud.

14. NCJetsfan

Bo Nix at 10? I totally disagree. To begin with, imo he's nowhere near worthy of being the #10 pick. Secondly, we don't have anyone to help him develop, and he could just as easily get ruined or go backwards like Zach did. Thirdly, Woody is likely to clean house following the 2024 debacle which is sure to come. So then the Jets will hire a new GM and HC and neither may want Nix. Unless there's a quality proven vet, or a hot young QB with a year or so's experience, GMs and HCs like to draft their own QB, not risk their jobs on a QB the previous failed regime drafted. IMO taking Bo Nix at #10 makes zero sense on ANY level.

#434 NCJetsfan, Feb 6, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Borat likes this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You might be the only person in the world who is saying this draft lacks depth. The one strong suit of this draft is how deep it is in regards to day 2 / 3 tackles and WRs.

SOJAZ, Borat, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Guys, this was a great podcast, worth a listen. Particularly interesting on Fuaga. There is a false narrative out there that Fuaga had a great sr Bowl and raised his stock. While he played well, he did not stand out in a way a top 10 pick should. Basically he was solid but didn't dominate. A bit slow laterally, more of a power guy. A good prospect, sure, but Connor compared Fashanu/Fuaga as Wirfs/Becton. He then said Becton was worse than Fuaga as a prospect though, but same idea, where it is not close between two. Connor feels Fuaga can play RT or inside, but definitely not LT.

I also brought up a point before about his short arms. Being slower laterally coupled with short arms, I am just not sure this is top prospect OT material, particularly for pass pro, where he was not great in College either. To me Fuaga is a great Guard prospect, who possibly can fill in at RT. And I would not take a Guard in top 10. I think Combine results will confirm the following: we need to pray Fashanu slides to 10. Otherwise, probably trade out if possible.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Listened to the same one. Really good from Will and CR. I'm really enjoying Wills TOJ pods every Saturday morning.

This is for anyone who doesn't listen to these guys -- I highly recommend subscribing to the Badlands patreon. There is a new podcast almost every day, the chatter in the discord is incredible, and the content from Joe and CR is top tier.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What stood out for me was their characterization of Douglas's preference for OL with lots of upper body strength without regard to quick feet. And of course that tracks with exactly what we've seen from the OL he's put together. That is VERY concerning. IMO that's grounds for firing Douglas right now before he does any more damage. When you consider that he's hired CS that have systems that require OL - particularly Tackles - that have quick feet, and he's ignored that basic requirement in getting guys who don't have quick feet, is there really any wonder why we see so many OL get hurt on the Jets? They're trying to perform in ways their bodies can't handle. This is the same mentality that had them draft a QB who was more of a gunslinger and then forced him to play in a box. And this is the mindset of the Jets, and has been for years: We have a "system", and we expect whoever we get to be able to adapt to our system, instead of what good teams do is adjust their system to make it easier for their guys to play at their best. It's one of the most fundamental problems the Jets have, and they seem clueless about it.

If they stay at #10, and Fuaga is on the board - even if Fashanu and/or Alt are there, I'll bet they Fuaga because Douglas clearly has a "type" and Fuaga fits it. Maybe I'm wrong, but the evidence strongly points in this direction, and for that reason, I'd fire Douglas right now before he gets the chance to prove it once again.

SOJAZ, REVISion, Borat and 3 others like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Thanks for sharing this. Great stuff. I share your concerns with Fuaga after listening to this.

Question: at the very end the host (not Connor Rogers) said something about the players speaking out when it was announced that Rex Hogan was no longer with the team. I couldn't understand what he said. Were they supporting Hogan saying that he had done a good job, or were they supporting the Jets getting rid of Hogan? I can't stand the voice of the host. He's going to have major voice problems in a few years the way he talks, and he's not clear and clean like Rogers is.

Borat likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, I didn't care too much about Will's takes or him talking in general, but Connor Rogers' analysis were excellent, these are the ones to pay attention to. As far as players comments about Rex, I also didn't see anything on this.