With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just making a quick visit to see how things are going here. We have usually agreed in the past, but I have to disagree with you this time. Yes, 10 is a fine pick, but it's a worse pick than #6 when we desperately need a stud LT. I agree that if JD can't nail a starter at #10 he needs to be fired. He probably should be anyway for any number of reasons, but the issue that you seem to miss is that the Jets don't just need a starter. The Jets desperately need an LT to protect Rodgers' blindside. Both Alt and Foshanu are likely to be gone by #10. If the Jets were picking at #6, most likely that problem wouldn't be there. There was a similar problem in last year's draft. Because of an additional win, the Jets' finished lower, and then with the trade down with GB for Rodgers, they missed out on the top OTs, and JD wound up taking an Edge (McDonald). A WR, TE, DT, S, LB, whatever position JD takes at #10 could be and should be a day one starter, no question, but that won't help the OL, Rodgers, and the offense. A WR or TE could possibly help the offense if Rodgers had time to let them run their routes, but unless the OL is fixed that's not going to happen very often, and the passing offense can't consist solely of quick, short, hot-read passes. Now it's possible that one of the OTs may fall. It's also possible that JD could draft an OT wherever the Jets wind up picking in the 1st round or even in the 3rd round that winds up being better than Alt or Fashanu, but it isn't bloody likely. It's also not likely that JD would take Fuaga or another OT at #10, because he's always a BPA with his 1st round pick, and unless their draft position rises signifcantly, no other LT or even RT is presently rated as high as #10. So unless he's able to sign Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams in FA, more than likely, the OT position will not get significantly upgraded during this offseason, which will again sink the Jets' season in 2024.

I think you know that I was a HUGE supporter of JD and very optimistic when so many others were negative and darksiders. Well, no more. I think JD needs to go for failing to fix the OL. I think he needs to go for allowing Woody to meddle. Supposedly, he had gotten Woody to back off and let JD call the shots. When Woody came back to meddle for the first time after that, JD should have put his foot down and said "No, I'm not gonna do that. You hired me to do the job and to run the team. Either back off and let me do things the way I think they need to be done or fire me." That's what I would have done. Rather than be a strong leader, JD has sought consensus too much, and abdicated too much of his power. He evidently doesn't have what it takes to do that or be that. It's now hard to know which of the moves and decisions that have been made with the Jets over the last 3-4 years were JD's, Woody's, the CS's, Hogan's, or some combination thereof.

Trading for Rodgers was a colossal mistake. I was wrong. I thought that Rodgers would lead the team to the playoff, or at least get them close, and that Zach would learn and develop under Rodgers. I was wrong about that too. Rodgers insisted on bringing a bunch of his buddies in who all played like shit, and after his injury, he was nowhere to be found to help Zach. While a small part of me still thinks that if Zach gets traded to the right team, gets to work with a topnotch offensive mind, and sit and watch for a year, he could still develop into a top 15 QB in the the NFL, but that is a very small part. I no longer believe in JD, and I've never really believed in Saleh. IMO it's time for an offensive-minded HC to be hired, and the Jets return to what made them the most influential team in NFL history, primarily offense and throwing the ball, and winning. I no longer like Rodgers either.

This won't be popular, but I'd love it if the Jets go 0-17 this coming season. IMO that's what they deserve for their stupidity. Maybe if they do, that would knock some sense into Woody, and he'd decide to clean house, then back off and let whomever he hires run the team and stop meddling, and maybe even embarrass and disgust him so, that he would decide to cut his losses and sell the team before it loses value. I doubt that he would sell the team, and he almost certainly won't hire the right GM even if he were to decide to back off and let that GM run the team. So as long as Woody Johnson owns the team, it's going nowhere. It won't matter who they sign in FA or whom they draft. I fully expect Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ, Huff (if he's re-signed), Breece, both Quinnen and Quincy, Tillman, and every other good player that we have on the team to either demand a trade or refuse to sign an extension with the Jets. I am now a full-fledge darksider.

#381 NCJetsfan, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  2. NCJetsfan

Normally, I'd agree with that sentiment, but not this time for several reasons. First, and perhaps foremost, the Jets don't have ANYONE who can develop a rookie QB, and Rodgers is likely to either play like crap or get injured and miss most of the season again, so the rookie won't even get to watch him play, and may even wind up getting thrown to the wolves and having to play. Second, Rodgers would have a hissy fit. It would be worse than what GB did to him in drafting Love. At least then Love was drafted towards the bottom of the 1st round, not at the #10 position in the draft. Drafting a QB would not help the team at all in 2024. Third, if Rodgers stays true to what he said earlier in the offseason, he may play through 2025, and if so, it would make zero sense to draft a QB and have him sit for two years. Then they'd have to make a decision whether to extend him or not with his basically only having had one season of playing experience. Fourth, if they draft a QB at #10, they will most likely be committed to him as the QB of the future, and in all likelihood, they would be committing to the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft class rather than the 1st or 2nd. Fifth, if JD is unable to fix the OL this offseason, the Jets will most likely be bad again in 2024, and he along with the CS, will be gone and not here in 2025. You don't want a new HC and GM coming in and being saddled with a young QB who hasn't played or barely played and it's a guy that they didn't choose or want.

I had never heard of Penix or seen him play until the playoffs. He looked great in the semifinal game, but in the championship game he came up small. He couldn't handle the pressure and it affected his poise and his accuracy, and it looked like he was struggling to read the D and make good decisions. Now possibly that can be fixed, and since he's a southpaw QB, if the Jets did wind up taking a RT at #10, it could work together nicely, but again, it would/should be at least one, if not 2 years before he saw any meaningful action on the field. The Jets need help NOW. They have pretty much sold out, changed their plan of building slowly to go all in with Rodgers, and they have desperate needs at both OT spots and at #2 WR. Those have to be significantly addressed before a QB should even be considered. I also don't think that the Jets should even consider taking another QB in the draft who has troubles reading Ds or dealing with pressure, and they may not want to consider taking another QB from a non-power team or conference. Even though Washington was very good this past season, they most likely won't be next year as their HC left and quite a few players have transferred in the portal to other teams.

mezzavo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I think if you had seen Penix play in the semifinal game that you might have a different, more positive opinion of him. I think he needs work, and there are some real question marks with him (ability to read the D and dealing with pressure) as he struggled horribly in the championship game, but I think he has the talent to be an NFL QB.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can already tell this offseason is going to be spectacular right here on TGG.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I admit I am basing my opinion on watching only one game. Stupid to do that I’m sure.

But honestly, I am 100% convinced after just that one game that he is not an NFL ready QB now, and unless something very unique happens like him going to KC or the Rams, I don’t think he will ever be a good NFL QB. I think he is a worse version of Zach to be honest. He didn’t even look as athletic as Zach is either. So no, I know he was much better at the long ball during the season, but I’ll chalk that up to weaker competition. When it counted, and against a good college D (which is not as good as an NFL D), he came up WAY short and looked AWFUL. And by awful I mean the physical (mechanics, accuracy, touch, etc.) AND the mental (reading a D, seeing the field, sensing the pass rush, etc.). He sucked at ALL of it. Badly.

That won’t get better in the pro’s. I think his success in season was a mirage just like Zach’s one good year against shit competition was.

Maybe I’m wrong, but if it were my call, I wouldn’t draft him at all most likely, but to me he is no better than a mid to late round pick…say 4th or later. No way I’d be happy using an earlier pick on him. Let someone else take him and watch him bust.

I don’t care what the combine does, or what the senior bowl shows, or any of the false post season bullshit says…I couldn’t be more out on a QB than I am with him

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I believe it with every fiber of my being.

#386 Dierking, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    Jonathan_Vilma, REVISion and abyzmul like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I understand. My opinion of him is very mixed. I loved what I saw from him in the semifinal, and hated what I saw in the championship game. I definitely wouldn't use a 1st round pick on him. The other issue is that he is already as old or older than Zach, and based on what I've read, has quite an injury history.

Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Fuaga measured 33 3/8 arm length, at nearly 6'6" height (6-5 7/8) at sr Bowl: https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-senior-bowl-weigh-in-measurement-results-for-nfl-prospects/.

This is a little short. Not AVT short (AVT was 32 1/8 at 6-4.5 height), but you want to have at least 34 at OT, maybe even more if you are 6-6. He may be someone who will transition inside eventually, though RT is not out of the question. Still, it might be tough for him at pass pro with shorter arms against top Edges. If we are looking at pure OT prospects, which I assume we are at #10, this could be a red/yellow flag.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I mean I get it... but I don't know that I've ever seen this much discussion about the length of a man's arms before.

Penix.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know you are joking, but that's the main reason guys like AVT or Skoronsky or Teven Jenkins were projected at guard in spite of playing tackle in College. And these guys are very athletic too. Fuaga seems of that same mold. Teven Jenkins may be closer comparison actually. Probably will be a good player, but more likely at Guard than Tackle. In a perfect world I would like to come out of the draft with a very good guy who can definitely play OT. I am now not sure Fuaga is that guy.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There is a subsection of the fanbase here that defends and, yes, applauds every choice made (or even anticipated) by the organization for years until it has finally proven to be another catastrophe. Deja vu.

#391 Ralebird, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hahaha JD and Jets love of Fuaga is already telegraphed. Why does this feel so familiar?... Is any other team linked this heavily to a prospect? A few weeks ago he sounded like the consolation prize if Alt and Fashanu were gone. Now if another team likes him, they'll jump to 9. But hopefully that means one of those three will be there at 10. It also sounds like a deep class for OTs. Could be a fantastic time for a trade down if the opportunity presents itself.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fuaga has legs like tree trunks. I dont care about roughly 1" in arms length with a massive core like that. He's going to be a good offensive lineman in this league. I think back to the Chuma Edoga pick, he had skinny legs, very top-heavy, totally not what you want. Even Becton, and I was swooning on him, I'll admit, he had/has some thin legs for a guy his size

Fuaga=powerful core and huge hands. Arm's length is not going to matter much. He's been mauling people at senior bowl week and may not even be there for the 10th pick

barfolomew and dawinner127 like this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a lot of Rome Odunze love from Chicago at 9. I can't imagine them trading that pick for someone who wants an OT. The Jets/Bears at 9/10 are prime spots for teams to come up for a QB by teams like Minnesota, Denver, LV, Seattle, and Pitt. We need Penix, McCarthy, and Nix to ball out over the next few weeks.

This draft is super deep at T and IOL late in round 1 and R2/3. A trade back to like 20 and recouping a day 2 pick 40-50 is a homerun if they can do it b/c you can still get someone like JPJ, Guyton or Fautanu at 16-20

All Gas No Shake and JetFanInPA like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Guyton is the one that scares the shit outta me.

He is very raw and new to offensive line. He certainly has the body for the position but damn to throw him in against veteran defensive linemen that know all the tricks of the trade brings me anxiety. I think that Oklahoma scheme was gimmicky as well, he didn't have to hold blocks as long as he would have to in the NFL.

watch him become a HOFer though

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah you're right. Think he only played 1 or 2 years max as a tackle, but holy shit is he competitive and athletic. I heard that he played basketball in HS and then TE his freshman year before transitioning over to OL. Sikkema and Rogers said Guyton is probably the most athletically gifted player in this OL class, but he's very raw and needs to be coached up (Hey Keith Carter :rolleyes:). He's been dominating down in mobile.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

True. Lebby’s offense gives the QB the option to throw deep or throw a hitch a lot of times and that’s it so it’s not a lot of decision making.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If anything, this past year should make all of us extra skeptic before proclaiming any kind of success near term.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.