With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would say this is Exhibit A of how dumb the niners were and they were just incredibly lucky that Purdy panned out - they spent 3 first round picks to get Lance and apparently Shanahan never wanted him and insisted on using him to run up the middle so he was getting injured - success gives you a free pass on pretty much everything and so people ignore what a terrible pick this was and how badly he was managed as the Niners as a whole are doing well (again because they did a Patriots and fluked a good QB with a late throw away pick)

SOJAZ, Borat and AtlantaJet like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

On the QB situation, completely agree. Niners fucked up with Lance just like we did with Zach. And Zach may be even better than Lance when it is all said and done. The difference was that they got very lucky with the last pick the draft. While we also drafted a QB outside of 1st round (Morgan) who failed.

The true difference between 49ers and the Jets at least currently is not the culture or ability to pick a QB. Saleh is preaching the same things he learned from Shanahan and they both fucked up on a QB. It is the fact they have a brilliant offensive head coach who calls the plays. While we have a defensive guy, who is relatively easily replaceable. Shanahan replaced Saleh with Ryan and then him with someone else and defense was good still.

It's much harder to find a great offensive mind, and when you do, likely they are going to leave in short order. 49ers have that guy in Shanahan, and we don't. We need to keep looking for a HC like this until we find him, only then will we have stability of a consistently well performing team. Either that or we need to get a great QB, which is also easier said than done. But having a Shanahan like coach also ensures that you can develop a talented QB when you get one and compete at least at some level without a great QB. Right now we are not in this position with current regime, we are riding Rodgers for a year or two, but I suspect very shortly Saleh will be gone regardless.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The trade up for Lance was definitely dumb, but what really kills teams is refusing to admit mistakes like we do. Mistakes inevitably happen, but teams have total control over how they respond to those mistakes.

The 49ers have also always been decent no matter who their QB is because they have a phenomenal offensive system via Shanahan.

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Kyle has had 3 losing seasons and 4 winning ones - they have a very talented team overall but he failed with Jimmy G after he initially looked amazing, totally messed up with Trey Lance, they had a very lucky season in 2021 before landing on Brock Purdy - if they hadn't struck gold there I suspect Kyle would be on the hot seat if not be out of SF by now

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I think the difference is they had a good alternative to Trey Lance - we had nothing to turn to after ZW failed to live to expectations (clearly having terrible playcalling didn't help but I doubt any of those QBs are going to light up the league elsewhere)

Jets79 likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's more winning seasons than losing ones and 4 more winning seasons than we had. And he did it without an elite QB. If he is to be fired, we will need to run with open check book to get him.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, we did - we had Rodgers for their Purdy. He was hurt though when a GM/coach put Duane at LT to protect him. Zach was just a back-up, and frankly I don't think he was a terrible one, given the Oline and play calling he had to deal with. Now, we should not have had Boyle, and got someone better than Siemien when Rodgers went down, but even the bigger problem than a back-up QB was the coach, who is horrendous offensively, and a GM who could not build OLine and other positions on offense. A good offensive coach would solve one of these problems. And we still would need a competent GM.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and azhar80 like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He didn’t fail with Jimmy G. He only failed when he had to go to his backup QB’s after Garoppolo got hurt.

2017 he was 6-10 after he came back at the end of the year from I believe an ACL and played only 5 games
    2018 they were 4-12 after he played only 3 games.
    2020 they were 6-10 after he played in only 6 games

Nyjets4eva, mezzavo and Borat like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Also, they did make a SB appearance. That stretch would be 10 times better than any other in Jets history after winning the lone SB many decades ago.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Shanahan deserves credit for coaching and developing Purdy though

the Jets have Hackett who hasn’t developed a single QB in his life

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Glad you pointed this one out. JimmyG's only problem was his ability to stay healthy. The 49'ers did quite well with him on their roster and leading the team. Had he been less brittle he would probably STILL be QB'ing that team and we'd have never heard of Purdy. I'd really love to know what Lynch was thinking when drafting Lance. Seriously! That kid had played in all of THIRTEEN whole games since high school! How do you, not only draft him in the 1st round, but burn 2 1's to do it! (I NEVER include the year in question's 1st round pick...it's such a stupid consideration.) Lance wasn't worthy of the 32nd pick let alone top 5 and the 2 other 1's to get there. However, as other's have pointed out, there are two big differences between San Fran and the Jets.

1. The 49'ers recognized their mistake and Lance was out of there before the season ended on his 3rd season. The Jets ride their shitty picks into the dirt.
    2. The Yorks leave their football people to do football things. Not the Jets. That fucker Woodrough has his hands, nose, eyes and asshole into everything and meddling non-stop. Until this guy either sells or finally "gets it" this team is going to constantly spin it's wheels in mediocrity.

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  13. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

This is encouraging. A lot of time between now and April but 8 Tackles projected to go in the top 25: Alt (7), Fuaga (10), Fashanu (13), Fautanu (16), Latham (18), Mims (20), Guyton (22), Morgan (24). Perhaps a trade down to recoup a 2nd is the smart play.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree. I think absent a trade down the jets first 3 picks in whatever order should be WR, OL, OL. Then use the other 4th rounder on a developmental QB.
    Rest of the draft including comp picks should be BPA.
    Don't have much confidence in Joe w history of 1st round busts like Becton and Zach, and then total head scratcher in McDonald when we already had truckloads of edge rushers.
    I think free agency is just as important--Douglas just cannot waste another $100M on nobodies like Lazard, Brown, Tomlinson, and Uzomah. :eek:

15. mezzavo

Ugghh, the Jets really haven't developed much in the way of offensive talent in general, let along a QB.

I often sit and wonder how a professional football team can exist for as long as the Jets have and have NEVER DRAFTED a decent long term QB in any form or fashion. Whether it be someone that comes in and just lights it up immediately ala a Purdy or Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. Or, bring someone along like a Jordan Love or Kirk Cousins. I mean, seriously, is our team that INEPT that, not once, could they have done this? Pennington, as far as I'm concerned, is the ONLY QB the Jets have ever drafted that was ready made for the NFL. Shame that he was so damn brittle and the team never really surrounded him with elite talent. Of the 7 years he was on the Jets he spent most of that injured at various points. Sanchez needed development that never came. The ONLY reason he was in the AFCCG's was because the team truly had an elite defense with an elite defensive coach. However, they were able to burn that to the ground in year 3. I mean, seriously, what is it? I can go down the list of 32 teams and ALL of them has had an elite QB on their roster at one point in time except for the Jets. Heck, there are teams who have had 1 or 2, some even THREE! Sadly, in this, I WISH I was mistaken.

16. mezzavo

I only disagree with the bold part. The NY Jets have NEVER been able to develop shit. Better to use that 4th rounder on another O-line because we can't develop them either so we have to go with volume and HOPE that any one of them turn out to be serviceable and startable players.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree other than I don’t think I’d waste a 4th round pick on a QB…the chance of that QB working out to me would be less than like 10%…total waste. We have never proven the ability to develop one…so to me, we need to just use picks on positional players and use free agency to sign a more experienced backup and then when we need to replace AR it’s either an established free agent type or else a high first round pick…I don’t think we’d be able to develop a mid round QB

SOJAZ, tomdeb, mezzavo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING SIMPLE FACTS

19. mezzavo

As you saw, me too. However...

I guess it would be time to discuss exactly WHO in the hell would we actually get to come here, in a backup capacity, that would even bother? Let's face it, this team isn't exactly what I would choose if I were a QB looking to be productive. The Jets have proven that they are incapable of generating any kind of consistent offensive production.

I wonder if JimmyG would come here...

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As simplistic as it sounds, the reason is that ever since Werblin, Ewbank, and Namath, the Jets have adopted a "defense wins championships" philosophy. They've poured far more money, time, and effort into trying to develop an "impregnable" defense than an unstoppable offense, even when the NFL over the past 20 years has made doing the latter easier.

I've said if so many times, as have a few others, that finding a great offensive HC and and a FQB is MUCH harder than finding even a great defensive HC and building a great defense, that the Jets decided that the odds favored them being successful by going the defense-first path. And they've been chasing their tails all along.

Until they hire a great offensive-minded coach - and BTW, there have been coaches who came from the defensive side who have used that knowledge to become great offensive minded coaches - they're not going to succeed. And they won't find, draft, and develop a great rookie QB either. They don't know how to. SO all those pushing for them to draft the "next great QB" are delusional as long as they continue to hold onto a "defense wins championships" mentality.

mezzavo and Borat like this.