WILL Rex be fired next Monday morning?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedGreen89, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Are you now defending Rex or are you just taking the contrarian point of view for the sake of it?

Revis was great under Mangini, he was only beat three times the whole year.

How would he develope Woody, Fanecca, they were experienced free agents that were signed by Mike T.

Of course Jim Leonard, Bart Scott could not be developed by Mangini, they followed the clown from Baltimore to the Jets.

What are you talking about Junc?

Mangini was a better talent evaluator than Rex, he and mike T put an excellent core group of players together, he was just never given 6 years to put it together on the offensive side of the ball.

Whether he could or not we will never know, but that is water under the bridge and a long time ago, what the jets need is to find a replacement for Rex.

Hopefully it's an offensive minded HC that can develope the next qb they draft.

BleedJetsGreen1981, jonnyd and TNJet like this.
  2. Red Menace

Are you being sarcastic?

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Revis was not yet great under Mangini, he was really good but became great in 2009- an all time great season.

that's the point, Mangini didn't develop 90% of the guys that contributed to our title game runs.

Mangini gets way too much credit for the draft when he wasn't the man in charge of the drafts. why does he get credit for guys that worked out but not for the ultimate bust in Gholston?

why isn't this supreme evaluator of talent in the front office of another team? why didn't he have the same success drafting in Cleveland?

4. Red Menace

Revis best 2 seasons in the NFL were his rookie season and 2009, he was great under Mangini, he was just not given the respect he should have received as a rookie.

selecting and developing are 2 totally different issues, He only had 3 years, rex has had 6.

And as far as Golhston, Mangini has gotten blasted by many on this board for that pick, but who gets every pick right?

I don't know why Cleveland did not have success, maybe he did not have a role like he did with Mike T, they could have limited his influence we don't know Junc.

But just because he failed in Cleveland does not invalidate what he did with the jets.

Why he does not have a front office job with a team, maybe it's a family decision, there are other factors that determine why these guys don't take jobs as FO personnel.

I remember Jon Gruden saying his wife had one foot out the door when he was approached by teams to go back to the sideline as a HC.

5. nyjunc

But I was told about all these players he developed, where are they?
    Whether 3 years, 6 years, whatever.
    He wasn’t in charge of our drafts, he gets way too much credit for them.
    He works for the 49ers as an ass’t coach so that excuse doesn’t fly.
    If he was seen as a genius talent evaluator he’d be working in that capacity somewhere

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Eric quit Espn to go back into the NFL and is currently the tight ends coach of the 49ers. If Harbaugh goes it's not an impossibility that he'd be a candidate for their Head Coaching job. I doubt he'll ever come back here. To the best of my recollection Woody dislikes him.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bwahahahahahaha. Totally and utterly clueless.

Red Menace and TNJet like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And obviously knows a lot more about football than nyjunc too.

Poeman likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Masterful my ass. Last season he did a good job, but this year and 2012 he did an awful job.

JetsVilma28 and Poeman like this.
  10. Red Menace

Selected, Junc, I said he and Mike T put in place the core group of guys that Rex won with.

I have never said he developed anyone, you may have heard it from someone else, but I never said that.

I pasted a portion of an article that highlighted that Mangini was involved in the jets selection in those drafts, he was not in charge but he had a say.

Again, why he is not in a FO job, I don't know Junc, but there could be other reasons why.

You and I do not know the actual truth.

Regarding the 3 and 6 year time frame, it does make a difference. The Seahawks won a SB after a 3 year philosophy change and drafts that reflected that, they strengthened themselves on both sides of the ball in that time period.

Rex and 2 GMs have not managed to do that in twice the time frame, they are actually worse.

In 2006, Mangini, who became the 49ers’ tight ends coach in February, was the new head coach of the New York Jets, who had the fourth pick in the draft after managing just four wins the previous season.

As April crept closer, Mangini said the Jets narrowed their options to two prospects: Virginia offensive tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson or a tight end out of Maryland named Vernon Davis.

New York had a huge need at left tackle at the time and tapped Ferguson, who has started every game since and who has made three Pro Bowls. But Mangini said it was an extremely close call and that the Jets still were debating the choice the night before the draft.

Mangini thought long and hard about how he’d use Davis, whom the 49ers took two picks later.

“Coming from New England, where we played a lot of split-safety defense, I knew the problems that good tight ends could (create),” said Mangini, who had been the Patriots’ defensive coordinator before he was hired in New York.

“And Vernon was special in college,” he said. “We saw that and were thinking, again from a defensive perspective, of all the problems we can generate with that player. It was the night before the draft, and we were still going back and forth on those two guys. I loved – loved – him, and I love the guy. Even when I first got here, we had that bond.”

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Junc at this point its a far cry to even call him a head coach. He coaches one side of the football (which is garbage due largely to Idzik providing shit weapons in the secondary), and takes the blame for everyone else, holding noone accountable. Early in the season Greenbay game, which we surly had in the bag if we run the football, from a running formation, how does Rex not step in and make a call there. He doesn't coach at the top level, winning is the only stat that matters, he has had just an ugly season.

Zero adjustments, zero accountability, zero chance of his return.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

There was a time when Rex said he wouldn't kiss the rings. Now, it's pretty clear he would get down on his knees and suck on 'em.

He really got soft this season. He is not a head coach, glorified coordinator. Morningwhig and Idzik both push him around and he just takes it. Disgusting, this is the guy leading the team.

14. nyjunc

He's not going to be the HC of the 49ers.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think you're right but he's possibly trying to position himself for another HC job.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Can we at least get a HC with acting experience? Mangini was in the Sopranos, Rex was in That's My Boy, can we get Robert DeNiro?

Red Menace likes this.
  17. nyjunc

I have a hard time believing he will get a 3rd chance unless it is as an interim after the HC gets fired/quits.

that's where it went downhill for both, Mangini 2007 in the sopranos and Rex in that's my boy in 2011.
    whoever we get to coach please no more acting roles.

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I never understood coach firings mid season unless the team still has some sort of a chance & the coach is what's holding the team back.. THis team aint going no where.. might as well just rock out until the end of the year... i'm gonna miss rex mann

19. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Once Big Ben throws 6 tds. Yeah

20. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If you think it will be a HC job, you need to pull your head out of Rex's ass. Yes he will have a job, but no way a GM gives him a shot.

Rex said he didn't come here to kiss BB's ring, and ended up kissing everyone ass.