Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

those are valid points however josh allen was an edge who was a consensus top 5 pick (fell to 6 to the jags) and we needed edge way more then a DT. Thats why people were pissed about it.
    as far as consensus goes. trubisky was the consensus best QB in a draft that had mahomes and watson
    darnold and mayfield were the consensus top QBs in a class with allen and jackson.
    the consensus isn't always right and espcially in this eyars draft thought processes were all over the place. the consensus had young over stroud. had the panthers taken stroud 1st overall they would have been slammed, however it would have been the right pick in hindsight.

my point is, don't put too much stock in the consensus.

taking an impact player right away did make the most sense. but as far as WR went at the time we had GW, CD, Lazard, Cobb, Hardman, and I think taylor too? a top 3 of GW, CD, and lazard looked good on paper. taking your WR4 for year 1 is no more urgent then taking your DE4 in year 1. especially since we rarely run 4WR sets, but do use 4 edges every game.

as far as o-line goes, after jones was off at 14, there really wasn't any worth taking at that point.
    as far as becton vs wirfs in hindsight sure, but many thought wirfs wouldn't be able to play tackle in the pros and would play OG. Becton was a true OT. and he looked like a pro bowler as a rookie until GVR rolled up on his leg.

2. GasedAndConfused

not similar in the fact we had a wealth of DT, but the need for DT was much lower then that of edge. We had the choice of 2 top 5 prospects. 1 edge and one DT. we took a DT.
    the point is people here many hated the pick. and the reason they hated it was "we needed an edge more and josh allen was right there" it's the same argument being made now. We needed X position more. it worked out with Q in the long run. it may work out with WMD in the long run too.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really care what Douglas’s board supposedly was. The Jets had tons of options outside of McDonald.

They also had virtually zero options when taking Q that could’ve improved the offense and this isn’t hindsight. And even in hindsight it was a dog shit offensive draft.

REVISion likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

But that’s where Revision and I thoroughly disagree with you. YOU think Lazard, Davis and GW look good on paper. Maybe other fans did too. We do not and it’s not even about impact player. It was a bad move to not take a receiver in both the short term and the long term. Davis has been awful for us and gotten hurt in back to back years. Lazard was a career nobody that Rodgers force fed the ball for a year when he wouldn’t throw to the rookies when Davante left and he produced at an average at best level.

They’re also both relatively slow for the position.

Lon Chaney and REVISion like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

of course they did. and it was a questionable pick for sure. but doesn't mean it won't be the right one in hindsight. just saying it's an unknown quantity for right now.
    we didn't need a CB really when we took sauce. we needed o-line, edge, RB and WR. and we took a CB because he was BPA. worked out pretty well. he still got the WR, edge, and RB as well. Just not the o-line

6. GasedAndConfused

yes I did think that. maybe some didn't. we'll never know since CD retired. lazard has been a let down. he's never been great but he's always been good enough to be a low end 2/high end 3. right now he looks unplayable. after CD retired though myself and most people here said we are 1 GW injury away from the worst WR group in the NFL. FWIW though JD did try and land a trade for adams and evans plus evans is a FA after this year so hopefully it gets addressed but again money is tight and I think the D is going to take some hits so we can build more offense

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I wouldn’t have added Adams or Evans at the deadline. I was fine with standing pat. We don’t have enough capital to be adding more 28-29-30 year old receivers to the roster for their last hurrah as good as they both still are.

8. GasedAndConfused

yeah I liked the way it worked out too, but I wouldn't mind trying to get evans in the offseason to pair with GW and having rodgers back. even if it costs the D a little. we can to give up some on D to add more talent to the O.

9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

You want to talk about a big reach? How about the kid we drafted who cant even suit up for games we have so many DE lol.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  10. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Good players can take a year to develop. Look at Jermaine Johnson. Keep in mind that Lawson and Huff might both be gone next year and JFM might even be a cap casualty. There is uncertainty at the future of that position.

If Davis had retired before the draft, I'd agree and say we 100% should have taken JSN there.

After B Jones, there wasn't another oline picked until #27 and then #36. If the Jets pick one of those dudes at 15 they get absolutely crucified.

#90 Jets OG fan, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    RochesterJet likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

If Davis played all year we’d still have shit receivers behind Garrett Wilson for 2023 and an even worse situation for 2024. So that argument doesn’t make any sense. Corey Davis was just awful for us. Everyone was losing their mind over his 2021 season. And he also only played in 22/34 possible games over two years.

12. GasedAndConfused

he was far from awful. he was a solid WR2 who made lots of clutch catches in traffic and 3rd down catches to move the chains. part of the reason we can't sustain drives is missing CD and berrios who were our primary chain moves the last 2 years. awful is lazard this season. CD would be a huge upgrade over him right now. he also didn't commit dumb penalties to take away big plays. Sadly he missed alot of games for us and then retired before his 3rd year so it is what it is.

13. GasedAndConfused

if we are playing the hindsight game, I like addison more then JSN so far

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  14. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Corey Davis > Lazard, He'd have been the #2.

RochesterJet likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

He didn’t make a lot of catches period for us, let alone a lot of clutch catches in traffic. He was a net negative for Wilson’s development early on in 2021.

Awful is somewhat hyperbole but he was an average at best receiver in Tennessee and produced even less for us and couldn’t stay healthy. As I’ve said many times, I liked the signing a lot too.

And what about next year? We had a lightning rod group of receivers with Davis as the #2? No, if GW went down, we’d have a bottom of the barrel group with very limited team speed and two lumbering 6’3”+ receivers who can’t separate.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

he produced less due to injury. but he was clutch for us many times. He was also "miscast" as a WR1 his 1st year here because we had nobody. davis was best as a WR2 behind AJ brown in tenn.
    for next year we obviously need a WR2. seems evans and adams are on JDs short list. depends what we can free up in cap room and how he approaches the draft. we won't have a 2nd ronuder and not much to spend and quite a bit of FAs. sadly this year was probably our best chance to make a run. The roster should be overall worse next year

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Not true. He was the #1 his first two years in Tennessee and was setup to be the #1 his third year when Brown easily overtook him. Brown was considered a pretty raw player out of college with physical skills (similar to his running mare in DK Metcalf). Obviously Brown is much better but Davis was the guy in Tennessee for several years until he came along.

18. GasedAndConfused

I know he was, I said he had his BEST year as a WR2 to brown. please read it all before trying to "catch me in a mistake"
    Davis wasn't as good when he was "they guy" he is better suited as a WR2 to a a stud. which he was here in 2022 when we got GW and was hoping he would be this year as well.
    he was also in a low volume offense that favored handing henry the rock 30 times a game

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough, definitely misread it and that’s my bad. Corey Davis was still not a very good player here whatsoever even without the injuries. To expect anything more for multiple seasons was quite silly of management.

Would you rather have.

A line anchored by JJ/Q/JFM/Clemons and a first round receiver? Or those four plus our Lazard/Davis/GW trio and WMD? I think it’s an easy answer. The receiving corps is bad in scenario two while the defensive line is good in both.

20. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Could have drafted another Ol once becktons fat ass went down again