Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Let's not forget the #2 overall.... that couldve traded for a HAUL.

I do think JJ is going to become a very good player

ouchy likes this.
  2. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Johnson has been a solid starter this season.
    I'm not sure I would call him "beast" as he pretty much never draws a double and his win rate and sack #s aren't that impressive. He's been better than so/so though: for the Jets scheme, a guy you can play a high % of DE snaps regardless of down and situation, and he's going to give you solid starter performance and get a few sacks is a good use of a low 1st round pick.
    Becton has potentially been the worst, particularly when you consider sunk cost and opportunity cost of the pick: Wirfs was there for the taking, a clean prospect who JD and his scouting department allegedly passed on "because he's only a RT", and he has shown this season that he is capable of playing LT better than anyone the Jets have had at the position in the past few years. Zach and Mims were total whiffs as well. It's really unfortunate with AVT-- hopefully the last 2 years are total bad luck/fluke. It seems he really is a special talent when healthy.

ouchy likes this.
  3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It is not an over-reaction to state the obvious: Those two picks, while helpful, were not enough.

ouchy and REVISion like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats the issue. JD isn't responsible from 1970 through 2019 (he came in after the off-season that year) but people hold that on him. our past history has nothing to do with the current regime

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

tippman has played very well. warren was drafted as a red shirt project coming off injury so time will tell on that one

6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

First, someone always gets hurt. But presumably, some of the draft picks would actually be good enough to play over our opening day starters.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Tippmann has not played very well. He had a few good games, that's it.

https://x.com/RichCimini/status/1734628649322615256?s=20

He's ranked 27th out of 34 qualifying centers in pass block win rate. He's been better than most of our OL, but that doesn't mean he's played very well.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes he's had some rough moments. If Mcgovern didn't get hurt he spends the season as a backup/swing guard/center. You expect more from a 2nd round center

JetsNation06 and Borat like this.
  9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Was the offensive line good enough this season in your opinion?

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How's that working out?

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  11. boozer32

Don't blame the players. It's the idiot coaching staff led by Saleh. He needs to go the microsecond this season ends. Does anyone want to listen to Saleh's history quotes? Zero in game adjustments and just dumb blank looks from the sidelines. The Jets have talent just not on the staff. The Jets have gone from ground and pound to blank stares and just run that same play and wish for a different result.

#311 boozer32, Dec 23, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    SOJAZ, ouchy and westiedog1 like this.
  12. boozer32

No, they need to sign some veteran lineman. Enough with the training wheels.

13. boozer32

I agree seriously crazy

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Seems like the blind leading the blind with the coaching down there not to mention using practice squad guys to the right of him

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing this out. Tipp is a young rookie, so I am still hopeful for next year, but let's not pretend the guy is currently a great starter, far from it. Inside that same tweet though, it shows how badly CMG stunk - the absolute worst. And CMG stunk last quarter of the year too, which is why no one wanted to pay him more than minimum. And yet when this useless guy goes down along with another useless player in Duane (who is healthy now and still can't get on the field over other shitty players) JD/Saleh apologists say that we lost two starters, so anyone would suffer.

NO!!! You lost two pathetic scrubs who are some of the worst players in NFL and should not even be on the team. The fact they started the season with everyone healthy is an enormous incitement on JD to begin with. But hey, we got much needed depth at DE, because you know, we cannot have enough pass rushers, even if some of them have to be inactive and the OLine is more porous than swiss cheese. JD is playing chess while others are playing checkers. LOL.

JetFanInNE, REVISion, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One thing I'll say for Tipp is linemen, both OL and DL, often take a year to develop. Sometimes you get a great stud who takes over right away, but a lot of the top linemen were average or sometimes worse their first year. IMO Tipp was the right move for that pick. Hopefully he continues to grow.

Saleh I had hope for but I've lost confidence in him, and he's my dang avatar, so I guess its time for a change all around.

abyzmul and Borat like this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

2019-could have had Trent Williams for a 2nd round pick. Opted instead to draft Becton. Literally could have traded his entire draft for Williams and would’ve been better off.

2020- was offered a haul for the #2. Opted to use it instead on a QB that wasn’t even a viable NFL prospect until his final season, of which he had a complete cupcake schedule in front of empty seats. Didn’t even interview Zach in person leading up to his pro day, and clearly didn’t do any homework on his understanding of NFL concepts. One good throw and JD was sold.

My list stops here honestly. You can match up his one good draft and the JA trade against the rest of his awful drafts and FA moves and call it a wash. But the two items above are why we are where we are right now. The capital of that trade plus a stalwart LT would have been the foundation of this team for years, especially given what he got for Adams on top of that. He could’ve had the makings of a dynasty the way DAL did after the Hershel Walker trade. Could you imagine the picks from SF plus Trent Williams, plus the picks from JA? It’s disgusting. Even if we had a mediocre QB we’d have had good success and the capital to eventually draft a future one.

But what’s best is his assertion that he built a championship caliber team that was only a QB away from greatness, and convinced his owner to dump millions into Rodgers to make up for all his mistakes and bought his own job security with it. And now he’s gonna do it again patching up all his mistakes with expensive FA castoffs, and it’s going to hand cuff this team for another 5-10 years. Far as I’m concerned JD is a dirty motherfucker, I’ll never forgive the stain he’s left on this team.

18. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

13 snaps on Sunday.......

What happened to increasing his snap count to end the season

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saleh says he's the next big thing on the DLine.

teamgreen likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Will McDormant.

JetsNation06 likes this.