Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

all this talk about taking WMD over o-line and yet nobody mentions we took tippman in the 2nd who has been one of the best rookie lineman this season and that had we went o-line in the 1st, maybe we don't take him

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well for me, I totally agree that OL was a bigger need for us than DL, but after so many years of no freaking pass rush due to Idzik and Mac all ignoring DE for the most part, I will NOT complain about drafting a pass rusher high.

After QB, they are just as important as OT and can disrupt a game…so for me, while sure we needed OL more and we knew it at draft time, I’m just not going to bitch about drafting pass rush…

3. GasedAndConfused

NFL pay scale wise the top important positions are
    1) QB
    2) Edge
    3) WR
    4) LT
    5) CB
    6) RT

then look at what JD has drafted in the 1st in his 4 drafts, LT, QB, OG (who can play RT), CB, WR, EDGE, EDGE

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas and the $100M free agency debacle. Can anyone believe that he signed Lazard, Brown, Uzomah. and Tomlinson for over $100M? They all four stink.
    Combine that w drafting McDonald #1 when he has truckloads of edge rushers. I hope Douglas is fired soon.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

wonder where those came form, did they fall off trees? or you know maybe our GM is why we have them. do we not remember when we had 1 decent pass rusher on the whole team in jenkins and no good d-line outside of Q?

RochesterJet likes this.
  6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

We had a better record back then.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

sounds like that falls more on coaching, injuries, matchups etc then it does anything else.
    GMs job is to add talent, coaches job is scheme and gameplanning and progressing the talent, players job is to execute. the outside portion you can't control is injuries. everyone plays a part

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Will Mac probably out vs. Dolphins...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying & I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. Its just hard to see the 15th overall draft pick sitting mostly on the pine even if you have plans for him beyond this season. IMO, - I don't think we are anywhere near having the luxury to draft 1st rounders w/plans for them starting after the current season.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

1 good game and now he’s hurt

11. GasedAndConfused

and i get that. we did it with JJ the year before too. we are deep. imagine if the d-line got injured instead of the o-line and we lost huff and JFM, then the WMD pick would be looking better and if the o-line wasn't hurt it wouldn't be such a hot topic here.
    JD likes to take BPA regardless of position and he felt WMD was so we will see. same reason he drafted sauce when we needed an EDGE and WR and that worked out pretty well

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Everyone develops differently. Elway was almost run out of town in Denver. Zach has had terrible coaching and horrible protection in the pocket. As verified by our starter Rodgers getting folded up. Getting rid of him now would be silly. Rodgers is injured and may decide not to come back. Build up the offensive line and I guess another year of Hackett. The Jets are kinda boxed in.

13. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I think we really like this pick in another 2 years. Just my opinion after watching him play in this defense

Pepsiguy5 and stinkyB like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed

sackexchange likes this.
  15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

He's gotta become a dominant, top 10 edge rusher in the NFL for something like that to be true. People clapping the pick as "best available" because of the important of edge crack me up. From an economics standpoint, a good starting OT is better than a comparable edge becuase you get them for cheaper and -- assuming same rate of injury for comparison- OT play a lot more snaps (like 100 percent of offensive plays vs. 70% to 25% of defensive plays). For example, Huff, the Jets best pass rusher, who some claim McD was drafted to replace, has never played more than 30 percent of the defensive snaps in his career, and this season has been even lower (in the 20s)-- which means you have to have a backup that plays the balance -- even without accounting for injury.
    Finally- to the "best player available at a premium position" argument: if McD was the best player availabe, and edge is such a high demand postiion, why didn't the Jets have any good trade offers at 15? Why didn't someone else jump at the chance for a franchise-altering edge? I guess all 31 other franchises just don't ahve the scouting department and eye for talent that the Jets do, huh?

ouchy likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The pick won't be a good one even if McDonald turns out to be good. We've gotten essentially nothing from him this year, and the only way he sees serious playing time next year is if we fail to retain our best edge rusher Huff.

Defense is also just far less important than offense. We score .5 TDs per game and wonder why we can never sustainably win. It's maddening.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If only we took Addison and Dawand Jones. Nope go D

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

My point exactly. Why are we letting homegrown talent walk?

REVISion likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

His terrible FA moves, lack of strategy, and overall inaction in the face of the obvious has been worse than even his bad drafting.

First order of a GM is to start competing in the division. How’s that worked out?
    We can’t let this bum blow future capital and opportunity in a vein attempt to go “all in” next season when it’s obvious we aren’t anywhere close.

Firing JD has to be first order of business.
    Granted Woody will fail at the next attempt also, but it’s impossible to do any worse than JD has done.
    My only requirement, any moron thinking a total tear down (aka buying time) like JD should be shown the door right during interview.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

And it's not just Addison. Zay Flowers is having a good season for the Ravens. JSN is playing pretty well for the Seahawks. They were all available at our pick. We didn't even need to hit on our individual pick per se, we just needed to pick the right position and we'd have gotten an immediate contributor at one of the most important positions in the game. We weren't even in the ballpark of doing the right thing.

HomeoftheJets and Jonathan_Vilma like this.