Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

see moving goalposts when you realized I didn't insult anyone. can you stay on one topic please? you're being pretty rude ignoring the mods

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The jury is still out Zach.

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm not down for trading McDonald Just because Wilson had success right out the gate does not mean that is the blueprint for every other rookie. At least give him a full offseason program. Now Larson needs to go ASAP. He's expensive and unproductive not to mention been injured since the Jets signed him.

4. GasedAndConfused

at this point zach is a bust. i'd say it's a miss. were in ear 3 and he hasn't proven he can be a starting QB. but he seems like he'll have a good career as a backup.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You just can't look at this in vacuum. We had #13 pick overall. It was JD's choice to relinquish this pick and have Broderick Jones rated below McD and Mayer, as they showed after the fact on 1 Jets drive. He COULD have had Jones without any reach if he made smarter decisions. Moving back in the draft and having McD rated above Jones was JD's choice, and it proved to be even more of a moronic one in retrospect than it was when it happened. Even though it was pretty fucking dumb to begin with.

6. GasedAndConfused

so if jones is a bust and WMD is a HOFer when it's all said and done that still makes him an idiot because some guy named borat on a forum said so?

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

1 sack and now he’s gonna be a HOFer

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have to wonder how much of a locker room fit McDonald is, and that matters. Every time I see the Dline guys interact with him it's always that nervous laugh behavior and guys looking at him out of the corner of their eye. Even Quinnen during some feature video of him on the team site, he kind of went stiff around him while he was celebrating with the other guys. Seems like WMD creeps out his own teammates. I guess if they can perform together in spite of that, whatever.

twown likes this.
  9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

He's our Dennis Rodman.

BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interesting read: https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/12/13/ny-jets-edge-defender-dillemma-offseason/

Brood from XFactor strongly suspects Jets will try to tag and trade Huff. As much as I want to keep him, McD at this point is untradeable and on rookie deal, while Huff is and will eat a lot of CAP. Keeping both of them might be the luxury we cannot afford since OLine is in shambles and resources need to be spent. This is a realistic fallout from McD signing and not addressing offense.

teamgreen and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Meh, I don't think Mark Gastineau was universally loved in the locker room. Its production on the field that counts.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it's less a universally loved thing than an "Am I going to find this guy in the shower jerking off into a pile of his own shit" kind of thing. Although maybe wearing Zubaz was the 80s version of that.

13. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

You're saying that he shouldn't have traded for Rodgers??? If they didn't add that pick swap, we'd be talking about giving the packers a top 10 draft pick next year. LOL @ "smarter decisions," you'd have to literally be a psychic to know that. Plus PFF had Jones ranked 26th in that draft, so... WMD was a good pick and that decision will pay dividends.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

And all of a sudden drafting WMD makes perfect sense.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is probably not a likely scenario. The choice would come down to what Huff wants.

Would he sign an exclusive tag, which would pay him more than we can afford for 1 season (23 million). But would also cost him his FA rights, and the long term deal he's worked for? I don't think he would and I don't think we'd choose to force him to sit out 2024 as a penalty. We wont play that kind of hardball with Huff.

He could sign a non exclusive tag that allows him to take offers from other teams. But he becomes a worse deal for them because they have to give up high picks for him in addition to a high contract. Its really in Huff's best interest to not sign a FT and just play the market. The league knows we cant afford him and we'd have no trade leverage anyways.

#255 ouchy, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

man, I thought kids wanting to go to school dressed as animals was weird....

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We can move a few things around to fit him if necessary. Transition tag is 20 mil. Plus, unlike in Rodgers trade scenario where he said he will only play for us, eliminating all demand, there will be a lot of demand for Huff. Not sure what we can get for him though. Maybe a 2nd? I'd much rather have a stud tackle in the second year, who would have already helped greatly this year, and just extend Huff. Instead we have some choices which are less than ideal and likely involve losing a productive player in favor of a prospect only a year younger who may or may not eventually be as good and still needing two starting tackles.

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

A transition tag is basically a 1 year deal that allows him to take offer from other teams that we would have to match. If we don't match it he leaves. The non exclusive tag requires the other team to give up picks. Also, Huff isn't worth 20 million to me. He's good, not great.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try and tag/trade Huff

For one thing its bad business. They already tendered him in 2023. Its a bad look to do that to a guy 2 years in a row, even if its its significant pay raise. Players (potential free agents) pay attention to these things.

Its also a large figure. that might hurt the trade return and if you can't find anyone you are stuck paying that dude $20mil

Just try to sign him at a reasonable figure before he hits the market and if you can't then you wish him well and collect the compensatory pick, which could be round 3 anyway

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one uses the transition tag. Right, wrong or indifferent it’s a fact that it’s rarely used. I imagine teams don’t see much of an advantage to using it over a franchise tag from an organizational standpoint minus the slightly lower price tags.