Will McDonald

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

FUCKING JOE JOUGLAS! HE'S HORRIBLE!

2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Nothing wild about it at all. People just love their faux outrage on this site.

barfolomew and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

But good QB play can overcome those weaknesses. The Jets were depending on good QB play. They took a big risk and compounded that risk by not getting a reliable backup QB.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

Not thrilled about the idea of letting Bryce Huff walk. Finally the Jets develop a good pass rusher and he becomes expendable?

blackssmagic, Jets79 and NY Jets68 like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

They may not be able to afford Huff. That's just the reality of the football business and Will is an insurance plan against Huff leaving for a big free agency contract.

6. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

You can always keep a player. Offer him an Ohtani deal. $ per year for 700 million years.

dmw likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Being 4 deep with high priced assets at defensive end is unrealistic and it’s one of the reasons that the offense might continue to struggle. What other team has done it?

It wasn’t even working for the 49ers before they lucked into a generational pass-rusher in Bosa and they even recognized their glutton at the group and traded Buckner for a first round pick.

Looking at the top sack teams, the Bills are the only other one I’m seeing with that many first round/expensive contract assets along the line, specifically defensive end.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if you have them on rookie contracts it's not that expensive. I think thats kinda the point.
    If we move on from JFM to make room for huff we still have huff, JJ, WMD, and clemons. assuming huff counts around 12 thats only 20mil for the whole rotation. less then a single bosa or watts.
    drafting positions that cost the most makes a lot of sense. a good QB on a rookie deal is so much value. the 2nd/3rd best value is WR and Edge. we would have JJ, clemons, WMD, and GW on those deals

9. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s expensive from the cost of what using those draft picks and subsequent cap dollars (even if less than market value) means to the rest of the team.

Huff is getting more than 12 at this point. He plays 41% of the snaps and will finish with double digit sacks at 25. I equate it similarly to Malik Jackson who signed that 6 year/$90 million deal with Jacksonville 8 years ago. Defensive tackle, I know, and more production but 8 years of cap hikes, new TV deals and such and I don’t think $18-20 million is out of the question.

I also don’t buy the notion that he can’t play versus the run. We’ll see if the market agrees with me. Hes probably the second best edge rusher on the market behind Young and Greenard given age as a factor.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

I do agree huff is raising his value for sure. but i'd have to think he'd still be under sweat who's of similar age and they were committed due to trading a high pick for him and he is of similar age. I think he'll have to be under guys like him, crosby, chubb etc. even hunter is only making 17m. it really depends on who is willing to do what but 18-20 sounds pretty reasonable and realistic. even with that it can be structured so he's only 12ish on the cap. even if we say 20 thats still 28mil total for the 4 man rotation which is still less then 1 watt or bosa alone. having edge rushers on a rookie deal is arguably the 2nd best value behind QB.

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

also on a complete sidenote. was watching the manningcast yesterday and the dolphins OC got hurt. tua was on the sidelines taking snaps with the backup. peyton manning was explaining it while they showed the snaps what the QB and OC are supposed to do for a good snap while they were practicing. then on the 1st play the OC snapped it just like what happened to us and it resulted in a fumble the titans recovered that gets blamed on tua but it wasn't his fault. same shit that happened to us and zach so I'm willing to take peytons you know the guy who's taken thousands of snaps in the NFL over what you said on that one. peyton also had another really good point, said that when the OC gets hurt the next play (1st snap for the backup) should be in the shotgun so if the snap is bad he can fall on it and it's not a turnover.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

we should keep in mind JJ was not playing at his current level when they drafted Will

not trying to defend the selection so much as say it was not slam dunk stupid; plus add in Joe is a BPA guy so this stuff can happen

listen things could be a lot worse; His draft record drafting DL could look like his record drafting WRs (GW excepted)

James Hasty likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

McDonald was a late 1st early second round project. He wasn't the BPA at 15.

14. GasedAndConfused

every team has a different BPA. the texans liked stingley over sauce, the falcons liked london over GW, olave is interesting because he was considered like the 6-7th best WR in the draft by most. I liked him much more then other people did and I hated burks (who was BPA over olave by most) I also had christian watson in my top 5 and nobody else did and he was considered a late 2nd at best. what happened during the draft though? saints took olave at 12 over williams (who most had at 1 or 2) commies took dotson at 16 burks went at 18 and watson went at 34.

so you can't really split too many hairs

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Ok? You’re still thinking about that from almost two months ago and decided to randomly bring it up in a thread discussing our rookie defensive end?

Talk about rent free in someone’s head lol - your favorite line.

Tua also blatantly dropped the snap, picked it up and fumbled it again after getting hit. See here - https://x.com/Titans/status/1734386419236257802?s=20

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's almost like they are prepared to keep drafting Edge in the first round, because it's the only way they can afford to keep any talent on the DL.

17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="GasedAndConfused, post: 4377147, member: 21650

so you can't really split too many hairs[/QUOTE]

I love you man. The guy whose handle could be "hairsplitter" and no one would really blink an eye is telling people not to split hairs.

18. GasedAndConfused

not because of you, I just like learning more about the sport and manning explained it very well while tua and the backup OC were practicing on the sideline
    I told you I never played QB so wasn't sure how the snap should be, but after manning explanation it was clearly on the OC and not zach like you said so figured i'd share that with you. wasn't being a dick about but guess you really don't like being wrong

edit: just watched the clip, wasn't in his hands. hard to see the ball but he came out of the stance without it. likely was shorted and his clamp hand caught air or the tip of the ball

19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

He was Joe's BPA at 15. You might disagree with that assessment but how else could you explain it. it's not like he was drafting Will McD to fill a need.

Listen i get the counter arguments and the armchair GM'ing. there's a lot of good arguments

I for one am going to hope for the best

20. GasedAndConfused

I love you man. The guy whose handle could be "hairsplitter" and no one would really blink an eye is telling people not to split hairs.[/QUOTE]
    lol not aiming it at you but pretty sure many here were splitting hairs and i was being reasonable and said be patient and pretty much predicted everything w/o any sources. no need to split hairs, we can all just use common sense sometimes

The_Darksider likes this.