Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i think what he's saying is that this mcfadden talk is coming due to the fact that jones and washington are not running well. however, a major reason that they are not running well is poor o-line run blocking. What makes you think that mcfadden would be THAT much better? i understand maybe like we could get a FUTURE force on offense but that may take a very long time and with the lack of patience seen on these boards, i dont see ppl wanting to wait.

2. rillo

rillo New Member

Thats my point...WAY too much money in one position that isn't even a real need. That's salary cap hell waiting to happen.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You hit it on the head with the lack of patience. Most on the board would rather have Chad in and go 9-7 and get kicked out of the playoffs every year than rebuild and build a team that can compete for a Sb every season. I do not know how many ways to explain that for us to get to that point we are going to be bad for at least three years. We are more than one draft and some F/A signings from competing with the big boys. We definitely have to get Linemen but what is the problem with drafting them in the later rounds.

4. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Everyone wants to win the superbowl correct? That is all I hear. Here are the leading rushers on the past SB champs:
    INDY - D Rhodes not drafted, J. Addai 30th pick
    PITT - W. Parker not drafted
    PATS X 2 - C. Dillion 2nd round, Cincy
    TB - M. Pittman, 4th round AZ
    Pats - 23rd pick buffalo
    BALT - 5th pick

You hav to go back to Jamaal Lewis to find a top 10 pick that won the SB. I am of the opinion you get a good tandem of receivers, a good QB, and get a solid O-line and plug in a back, see Denver.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

There's no depth at the running back position...we have Thomas Jones. Leon Washington isn't going to get it done. With Jones and McFadden, we'd have "depth". Together, they would be able to control the game.

Washington getting 3 yard a carry isn't going to cut it. He's a 4th round pick, and that's exactly what he plays like. We got a steal due to the fact that he is a great kick returner, but he still isn't effective on offense. Especially not this season.

6. red75bronco

how do you control the game when you are behind because you d is giving up 5 yard run after 5 yard run?

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

See Denver when? A couple years ago? The reason their running back are effective is because of the zone blocking scheme. All of their linemen are under 300. Terrell Davis is the only "plug in" back that won a Super Bowl in Denver, and John Elway and the Denver defense were a big part in that win.

Look at all of these defenses man...New England, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Pittsburgh...all Top 3 defenses in their Super Bowl winning years. Indy won because Peyton Manning is ridiculously good at QB and they built their offense around him.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We'll when you're controlling the game, you keep the other team's offense off of the field, so they can't get those 5 yard runs.

The Broncos are really good by the way...because "you d" isn't giving up touchdowns, it's your offense that is turning it over and allowing Detroit to score 3 defensive TDs in a rout.

9. IMO, unless you have a top 5 WR and an outstanding QB...the modern formula for success is having a 2 headed monster at RB...

I like Leon Washington, and I certainly believe he's an asset to this team. However, within our offense, he's only a playmaker on screens and draws, and is truthfully only good for about 5 good carries a game(Aside from on ST's).

Jones is also a quality runner...but he's a good not great guy, who is close to being 30 years old.He could easily be upgraded.

You add in the fact that our offense solely lacks a home run hitter(aside from the occassional screen to Lleon, or trick play to Smith) and adding an elite RB doesnt sound like sucha bad idea.

I look at it this way:

You have to have a healthy balance on draft day between these 2 questions..Depending on where you are as a franchise you develop a priority between the 2

1. Is this player among the best available at this spot based on the big board and our evaluation

2. Will this player help our team short term and long term

In our situation, question # 1 is alittle more important at this stage.mcFadden flat out is the best player in this draft.

In terms of the # 2 question, McFadden absolutely WOULD help this team short term, paired w/ TJ to form an elite running attack, and would help in the long term replacing TJ and developing into a top 3 runner league wide.

10. red75bronco

Broncos stink because they have the worst rushing defense in the league. By comparison they are 13th on offense in rushing yards per game and 10th in yards per game in the league with their All Pro center out and they are losing because of the D.

Thanks for making my point.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I can not dispute these facts. You are correct. With that said would you pass on the Next Lt or Adrian Peterson to get a linemen, Nt or Offensive Lineman with a number one pick. Your basically saying if you would pick a lineman over a franchise back with a top five pick right?

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Wow, in yardage...they still can't score. It's all the blocking system in Denver.

Why are you even here? The Jets don't even play the Broncos this year...

13. Hey,

If there's a DE or OL at our spot who is worthy of a top 3 pick and helps the team..by all means..take him.

This isn't about taking an RB, or skill player no matter what.

My point is, I just dont see a player in this draft as highly rated as Mcfadden, and I question the first round DL prospects capability of playing the 3-4 scheme

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What's wrong with this Redbronco guy is he knows nothing about his own teams O-line. The Broncos don't pick ANY of their linemen high. They bring in "undersized" o-linemen because they fit into their zone block scheme.

15. red75bronco

You just made my argument. By the way, the future HOF tackle Gary Zimmerman (7 Probowls) might argue about how good the line was along with Schlereth (2 Pro Bowls) and Nalen (5 Pro bowls). Also, Elway stunk in the first SB win.

Are you saying defenses win Championships? Just another reason not to draft a RB in the top 5.

16. red75bronco

I am saying that with the number of holes we have to fill, trade down and get quality Defensive players. Not saying draft O-line top 5.

17. rillo

rillo New Member

I would, especially when you just invested in a proven RB the year before and you have big holes on defense.

18. red75bronco

Look at the avator and you will see my red 1975 bronco in the picture. Not in anyway a bronco fan, but grew up in CO so I am very familar with Denver and how successful they have been. The broncos have/had probowl lineman. Never said pick lineman high in the draft. I would rather pick Defense.

19. The problem w/ taking defense early is I dont see alot of players capable of succeeding in our 3-4.

I like Quentin Groves as an 3-4 OLB, but his stock is all over the place and maybe available in round 2.

Frank Okam is a possibility, but again, his stock is all over the place.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think we're out of that era now with the illegal contact rule now in place. The Patriots are the heavy favorite to win it all this year...because of their unstoppable offense. The Colts won last year. It flip flops over the years, but if you have a balance of a strong running game with a solid passing game, you can compete in the league.

I don't care if their going to the Hall of Fame, so are Willie Roaf and Will Shields of the Kansas City Chiefs...how many Super Bowls did they win? ZERO.