Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. ..Or how bout the fact that many wanted them to reach on a QB or WR(Bigger needs)...instead like you said..they took the BPA:grin:

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

And now they can trade for our beloved Chad Pennington for a 2nd rd draft pick! Look at that, another pick we could get to draft more lineman! Lol.. That's two linemen in the second rd to block for Mcfadden. This is realistic and not a Madden 2008 generated miracle plan for next year!

3. Pilotpf

Pilotpf Member

I agree about needing to win in the trenches, but you can't use the Vikes as an example...They haven't been in the SB since 1977...

4. rillo

rillo New Member

They needed a running back...every team in the league needs two running backs

5. rillo

rillo New Member

I was using someone else's example..thats all

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yes, finally someone sees that. We only have one here now. Leon Washington has nothing on Darren McFadden. Washington needs to stick to returning kick offs and catching screens on 3rd downs.

With McFadden and Thomas Jones, we'd be able to control the game against most opponents. They would keep our terrible defense off of the field.

7. rillo

rillo New Member

No way man....Washington is a play maker. He's the perfect change of pace back behind Jones...McFadden is not needed here IMO. Give Leon some blocks and more carries and you'll see. I'm not in the "Draft McFadden" crowd. Sorry

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

So you're saying that Leon Washington...is better than Darren McFadden?

What has the guy done besides return some kicks for scores and take a screen pass downfield against the pitiful Dolphins last year? Yeah he's a play maker...on special teams.

He can't be effective as a running back in the NFL. He's a 3rd Down Back. Throw him some screens, some swings, hand him some sweeps and draws every now and then, but he cannot be effective. He can't get past the first guy that touches him. He might be able to make guys miss...but when's the last time you've seen him juke around without losing a yard or two? Washington is hurting our offense this season, more than he's helping it. He can't run between the tackles and that's what we need. Thomas Jones is a powerful runner, but he doesn't have that second gear once he gets into the secondary. McFadden will provide that. McFadden is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. Watch some of D-Mac's highlight tapes on Youtube or something, and tell me he's less of a playmaker than Neon Leon.

#88 Mr Electric, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  9. rillo

rillo New Member

Yep...McFadden is still in college, u never know what you're gonna get. Also he'll be drafted really high with alot of hype behind him. Where as Leon came as a 3rd pick, play big play last year and this year. It's not his fault he only touches the ball a couple of times a game....its not he's fault that the Oline can't make holes for him. Also Leon isn't our "featured" back we have Jones that we've invested alot of money....I can't believe you just wrote that Leon has hurt this offense....Honestly do you watch the games or just catch highlights? Also @ the time last year the Dolphins defense was one of the top defenses in the league despite their record....Division game are never easy I don't care what you say...look at what the Bills did to us this year....Swept first time since 97'

#89 rillo, Nov 9, 2007
  10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

When's the last time he's helped the offense? You're going to place all of the blame on the offensive line...the guy can't pick up tough yards. I watch EVERY game, and I constantly see him dancing around and getting tackled in the backfield. I like him, but I just want him as a 3rd down back.

Leon Washington couldn't pick up 100 yards on the South Carolina defense if he went back to college...McFadden just ran for 321. Hey, maybe Washington could run a kick back for the Gamecocks though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA -- Only if you have the time. He's "still in college" is a terrible argument.

(PS: WORST Music EVER on this video...)

#90 Mr Electric, Nov 9, 2007
  11. rillo

rillo New Member

Dude...I'm a BIG FSU fan, and yes Washington underachieved in college, but so far he has turned out to be a pretty good pro. And yes I place the blame on the oline and on the coaching staff because we don't run enough. Jones can't even run behind this line, and when he does run good we take the ball out of his hands.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you are a McFadden doubter, watch this video of him last year. He's straigtened himself out and stays out of trouble now. He WANTS to win. He gives everyone around him the will to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APEFj8Glx7Q

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dude...You're an FSU fan, no wonder you have such a hard on for Leon Washington. At least Thomas Jones can break a tackle or two.

Washington's longest play on offense this year is a 16 yard catch...that's not very "play maker" like.

4 carries for 13 yards against the Redskins...I wouldn't give him more carries either, he's not doing anything. 3 carries for 11 yards against the Bungals, they can't stop anybody, but they shut down Leon.

Thomas Jones ran the ball 24 times for 130 yards against the Eagles. Leon Washington has 13 TOTAL yards. TOTAL.

He is a PRO-BOWL caliber return man, but he won't cut it in the NFL as a running back. We need to use him how the Pats used to use Kevin Faulk -- throw him screens and swings and give him an occasional carry to see if he can break off a decent gain.

#93 Mr Electric, Nov 9, 2007
  14. rillo

rillo New Member

No I just see him as a good talent thats all. Also I think this team has more pressing needs than to draft a RB in the first round. Especially when we already have two good ones. Also highlights mean nothing to me...especially college highlights. How good is Arkansas line? Do they have any NFL ready guys? Just wondering because I don't keep up with them.

#94 rillo, Nov 9, 2007
  15. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

We have absolutely no idea what Leon or Jones could do behind a real Oline. Remember, the Jets Offensive line does not run block well at all. They get pushed backwards on most downs. And three of the apposing linemen usually end up in our backfield in less then 2 seconds. Leon and Jones behind a solid Oline will be MUCH different then they are today.

16. I dont even wanna make this solely about McFadden.

This is about not reaching for a specific position based on need, when the overall roster lacks elite talent. We are in no position to pass on the BPA.

Bottom line.

17. rillo

rillo New Member

Thats what I see....thats why this whole McFadden thing doesn't make sense.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Can't linemen be had in the second round and beyond??? Why do we have to pass on a possible elite back for a Offensive lineman.

19. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i understand what ur saying. But here's the problem with drafting mcfadden. You're taking BPA at a position where you have tons of depth and passing up on a glaring need that could possible be filled up by drafting a guy like cris long or frank okam. So if the jets draft mcfadden, what happens to jones and washington?

20. rillo

rillo New Member

I would rather draft defense in the first....we've been up in a lot of games this year and the defense just can't stop anyone. I say a pass rusher in the first round. Also spend some money on the Oline in free agency....it's a must IMO.