Why our defense isn't a Top 5 D (atm)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

I would say our defense is actually better this year. Sometimes you have to look beyond the stats. We've had three games this year (Miami, Minnesota, and Denver) where out defense won the game on the last drive. Last year we had three games (Miami, Jax, and Atlanta) where they didn't come through. That is the difference from being a 9-7 team to (at least) a 12-4 team. I'll take that any day.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We'll get below 15 at some point.

No Revis, No Pace No Jenks = 16.8

Now

16.8 +Revis,+Pace,+Pryce = better than last year.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

the main stat I worry about is how many points a game we give up, and that is currently 16.8(5th in the league)

4. Hobbes3259

Your theory ignores the obvious...

Right now, as pointed out above, we're giving up 2 extra points that's Minus Revis and Pace. (Jenkins was out for much of last season so that's a wash) However we did add Pryce.

If the league was going to adjust to Rex, Baltimore would not be Baltimore.

Your theory assumes that we just elevated Rex to DC last year, not HC.

Rex's formula is elegant in it's simplicity..
    (the endless permutations are different, but the formula itself is simple...he says it constantly)

Play man to man on the outside and you can always rush more than they can block.

That's why he takes away the Run at will, and on passing downs you can send the extra guys from anywhere on the line.

Watch what happens when Revis is healthy.

Revis and Cro make it possible to ignore everything on the outside.

Now you're 9 on 9, with a QB and RB BEHIND the LOS.
    So in effect, any time you want it you've got an extra rusher for the QB (read 6 guys very often), and a SS on the RB...(possibly 7 rushers) with on OLB in the TE's grill with a safety for coverage if the TE releases, you have another free rusher.

(and Rex likes to overload one area and drop guys so you still get a zone underneath)

You aren't running because you'll never get less than 8 in the box, unless you go 4 wide and give up on the run

A 3 step drop and a prayer?

God Help offenses when Wilson becomes Lockdown.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

C'mon Mr E I'm not bitching... I'm saying that although we are playing well there's still a step or two before we are a truly shut down defense.

I'm VERY HAPPY with the way we are playing but why not aim at being the most dominant D in the NFL?

6. Hobbes3259

See above.

We're close.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If it was that easy, you wouldn't find any D dominating two years in a row.

Rex Ryan has been a DC for a long time. And his D has always been dominating. If it was that easy to dissect and figure out his D, he would have been out of job by 2003.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Or the wins...

9. Scottso

Scottso Member

I think the biggest weakness on this team is the defensive line. In my opinion, Tannenbaum definitely needs to come out of next years draft with at least 2 defensive line prospects. Sean Ellis can get some pressure, but DeVito and Pouha don't get any. We really don't get any pressure without manufacturing it with the blitz.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Once Revis is full speed, the duo of him and Cro can the most deadliest corner duo NFL has seen in recent times. Cro has been outstanding after the Baltimore game, his first with the Jets. And thats when he has been covering the #1. He had a bad game against Marshall, but Marshalls stats were inflated with a huge catch and run play when Cro wasn't covering. Besides that, he has done great against Randy twice (three picks while covering him, 2 self-ints and one tipped for a Pool int. Cro picked off Favre on the two pt play). He had another big game against Lloyd. He's been consistently targeted through out the season.

Once Cromartie moves over to the #2 WR, you will see the Jets taking out the two top WRs on each team most of the weeks. Hopefully the slot receiver doesn't burn us. We need to extend Cromarties contract for sure. He can be the missing piece on this D, while Wilson covers the slot or TE.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He's been a Jet for 11 years, and you still can't spell his name?

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

the Ellis/Pryce rotation is a good one... both can play limited snaps but they can still produce.

I'd like to have a third guy to mix in with Pouha&DeVito. Pitotitua was probably going to be that guy.

We have some youn talent on this team in Kroul (CS high on him), Dixon (must be a reason if he's still on the 53), Pitoitua (coming back next year), Gilbert (on the PS, hope he stays there 'till the end). Also we have Tevaseau who at least seemed competent vs second stringers in pre-season at NT.

I'm hoping at least 2-3 of those guys can contribute next year...

13. sexyrex5

sexyrex5 New Member

Would you be greatly opposed to shawn merriman putting on a jets uniform? When san diego does release him, he would be another threat. The Jets do not have the greatest individual pass rushers, so adding a guy who has been a presense in the past would help. He may be damaged goods, it may be too late in the season, but adding him in third and long situations would be dynamic.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Mmm I would but more for future salary cap considerations than anything else.

That is of course if he's medically cleared by doctors...

It would be fun to see a Pace - Merriman duo at OLB (in a world where we let Thomas go after this season).

15. Scottso

Scottso Member

Apparently not, but what a heinous offense that I spelled Shaun as Sean. I will write it correctly on the chalkboard 100 times for you.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have a problem with the OP's argument. I went to nfl.com's stat site, and went to defense ranked by points. The problem is they rank the team's by total points given up irrespective of how many games played. The ranking is not based on points per game. The Jets are ranked tied for 8th, but four of the teams ranked higher have only played five games, and only one of them, Pitt, has given up less ppg than the 16.8 listed for the Jets.

If the measure were ppg, the D would be ranked tied for fifth. In other words it is a top five D if the measure is ppg average.

As for reasons why the D has not played better than last year's, obviously Revis's situation is a big factor. Gecko's point about other team's getting a better understanding of what Ryan has been doing is also a factor, but not as beig as what Revis's condition has done not only at his spot but elsewhere on the D.

17. Scottso

Scottso Member

I hope so too, I actually had to google the last defensive linemen that we drafted. It was Titus Adams in the 7th round of 2006. And the year before him was Pouha. Not knocking the Jets drafting because I think they've done a good job, just hope we can get a couple prospects next year.

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I like your avatar, so I'll give u a pass this time:wink:

19. Scottso

Scottso Member

Thanks man, I like my avatar too. I've had her several times in my head.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

There are a few factors at play here, imo:

1. Revis is not Revis right now. Last year any throw in his direction was an incomplete pass and generally a no-no for the offense to do. Taking away the other team's #1 receiver completely and totally with 1 man was a major factor last year and is a luxury we haven't had this year. When he gets back fully healthy and playing like he did last year (hopefully), the D will have an extra man to shade to the other side or over the middle, or as an extra blitzer.

2. The play of our nickel backs has been pretty terrible so far. Wilson and Drew Coleman just aren't good players right now. Last year Strickland, and even Lowery were playing at a much higher level.

3. Hate to say it, but Kerry Rhodes was far better in coverage than Brodney Pool. Yeah I know, I know, he was a bitch and a coward and wouldn't tackle and all that. But the guy had a lot of range and was very good in coverage. We are getting beat a lot over the middle of the field this year.