Why did the Jets trade Santana Moss?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcons365, May 5, 2006.

1. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

come on this is ridiculous, you cant complain about that trade now, if you remember when we traded moss he had a great year 2 years before but that past year he struggled, now regardless of the reason why, everyone was so excited for coles coming back to team up with pennington, since they had such great chemistry. So dont be a fair weather fan everyone wanted coles back and now he is here and live with it.

2. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

If I could reverse the trade, I probably would. But at the time Moss was inconsistent, while Coles was a great possession guy with some speed, who had a great relationship with our QB. I thought the trade was a no brainer at the time, so I can't kill them.

3. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Coles still is the better receiver. Moss had bigger #'s last year, but he was playing on a good team.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

anyone waNNA bet that Moss doesn't even come close to duplicating the year he had last year.. We made that trade cause Moss is very inconsistent.. Remember he supposedly had a breakout year the year Coles signed with Washington, than the following year he was hurt and inneffective..I would still make that trade any day of the week.We got the better, more consistent WR.

5. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I guarantee you that if Moss was on the Jets last year he wouldnt have had the season he did and Coles would have had a much better season

6. boomer

boomer Active Member

This has got to be the 253, 089 time this question has been asked. COLES IS A BETTER RECEIVER.

7. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

Moss got put into a better situation. What would his numbers have been if he was in NY last year? My guess -- 35-40 catches 2 TD's.

8. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Based on what? The fact that he dropped a decent amount of passes, couldn't get open, often ran out of bounds to avoid being tackled, and was just not a good receiver with the Jets, especially for a QB like Pennington?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ah, I see. You play a lot of Madden. How did your Jets franchise do?

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

That's interesting because we drafted Coles in the 3rd round and Santana in the 1st and yet Coles was still the better receiver for us. So let me ask you, was speed really that important when the offense was built around the small to intermediate routes??????

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh yeah? Why don't you cite some specific examples of that where you saw Moss display all of this upside? Since you've analyzed our team better than our FO and all. Be SPECIFIC.

12. NYJ1012

NYJ1012 Banned

moss just didnt fit in our offense. given his recent success, i still dont think he would.

#32 NYJ1012, May 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2005
  13. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

That's bullshit.

There's plenty of track stars with speed. Jonathan Carter had speed.

Speed isn't the only thing that makes a receiver. If you want a playmaker, you take Moss. If you want a guy who is fearless and will move the chains you take Coles.

14. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

the jets reached into the bag and thought about days gone by they felt loyal to coles, moss is the superior playmaker hands down i chalk it up as another jets mistake

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Everyone knows we didn't have the QB to get Santana Moss the ball downfield. Moss was above average here because we don't have consistent QB play.

Laveranues Coles will have a 1200 yard season every year if we get a solid QB.

16. Johnnytint

Johnnytint Member

and the number one reason is Pennington wanted Coles he even offered to give the Jets back a million dollars to get Coles.

Moss is a one trick pony hes too small to block, he wont make catches accross the middle, and he dropped a lot of passes while he was here

17. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Tell me Falcons...With Pennington/Bollinger and Testaverde being QB, would Moss have even topped 900 yards?

I'm a big fan of him, a Hurricane and all...But think outside the stats.

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Thank you Mr.Hackett!
    That's the exact mentality that led Moss to Under Achieve.

Go Routes and 4 yd out's on 3rd & 10.

As we all saw last year Moss is a complete reciever, he just never got a fair shake.

19. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

coles is a better wr than moss, moss had the better statistacle's last season, but as many have pointed out already moss was in a better fit last season, our offense sucked, due to major injurys to a major part on our 'o' what would have moss done on our team last season?

what would have coles done on the redskins last season? remember coles had 90 catches for the redskins in 04, yes his yds were down, but remember brunell was hurt all season, this past season brunell was like re-born or some shit like that,

coles runs better routes, has better hands, is TOUGHER, he is a better team player,

coles is still young, he makes plays, like against the bucs last season a game clinching 1st down rec over all pro r.barber,

like against denver in 02, basicly a game winning td, in pretty style, over all pro c.bailey,

no disrespectfull for moss, i like him, moss has put up #s like this before, like in '03'
    10 td's that season, three against the giants could have been 4, his yards per catch where high that season, total yards rec, total yards from scrimmige,

i think last season moss had 3tds against the giants, people acted like they never saw him do that in the nfl before,

they both are real good players, imo i think coles is a better all around wr

#39 ajetsfan4ever, May 6, 2006
    Last edited: May 7, 2006
  20. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Last I checked, Coles is pretty damn fast. Also speed means dicks when you cant catch a ball. Dante Hall is fast, Michael Lewis is fast, Tim Carter is fast, but I wouldnt simpy make them my primary receiver because they got speed.