When the heck do we start Clowney?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by StreetFighterJet, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I dont want a Reggie Brown or Hank Baskett. These guys aren't worth trading for. If we're going to make a move, lets do it for a quality starter. Either that, or sit on our hands and see what we got. Even if it means our WR's are the suck..

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I honestly don't know what Schotty has in him to run. If we're to believe the hype, Schotty wasn't allowed to call his own plays and allowed Mangini to micromanage the OC gameplan and Favre to call his own plays. I'm not so sure I believe that crap. The jury is still out on this guy as far as I am concerned.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

No reason with a weak WR group not to use a 2 TE set and match up the stacked box. We could even split out Keller on one side with Cotch on the other side and move the FB on the line as the second blocking TE. Let them stack the box, that's our best personal on O anyway.

4. abyzmul

You and WSW are almost changing my mind.

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Yea, this sounds like a very good personnel package to run a bulk of our plays out of. If we are committed to pounding the rock consistently, we are going to need to maximize our blockers. Less WRs in this case, is more.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yea I'm not buying into the micromanagement of the offense until I see Schotty consistently call intelligent games. I'm definitely concerned about him.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so far he gets an "almost" grading... but he still has the clockwork "why the fuck do you run that now?" play.

8. abyzmul

Hahaha, yeah, the draw play in Clemens' first drive during the '2 minute drill' at the end of the second Qtr the other night kind of baffled me.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Several issues with Shotty. He is a firm believer in a complex scheme that fools the D with shifts. If he is successful he will be gone next year which means a new system. If he's not successful he will hopefully be gone next year which means a new system.

He's mentality is not line our guys up on your guys and smash them in the mouth. I suspect while we want to be a running team it will never fully materialize because Shotty's nature is to be planning ahead for the big play that fools the D.

10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

No, wrong again. I flat out said Clowney is faster than Evans. I did not suggest that at all, I stated it as fact. The published forty times for both players establishes that.

What I DID suggest was the POSSIBILTY that Clowney MAY have better hands.

I offered my OPINION that I think Clowney has definite WR#1 potential, and I think, guess, op-ed that to project, conject, that he will be. Isn't ANY projection, prediction or guess a stretch? Of course it is.

There have been MANY undrafted FA's, practice squad players and other long shots that have gone on to have stellar careers in the NFL over the years. The percentage is very low, but once in a while, it happens. How about just two players out of Hofstra? Chrebet and Colston? I don't often pick out any particular player to break out like this, but I do it on occassion, and am wrong about half the time. Still, that isn't a bad hit ratio. I see a lot of potential in Clowney, and am willing to stick my neck out a bit.

However, when discussing stuff like this, I find comments like "crack induced" and the like to be far from having a reasonble adult conversation about football and the men who play it and the fans that follow it.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

maybe this coach can tweak him for the better, rather than the preceding one hurting him.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm not sure that he's gone if unsuccessful, but I can't say I'd be upset if that were the case. I don't think it's a given that he'll get a HC position if he is successful either. He hasn't exactly had people knocking down his door the last 2 off-seasons.

Obviously it sucks for the development of Sanchez if we have to change systems. Do you think Callahan is the next in line if Schotty goes?

As for his trickery, I think he tricks himself sometimes. It's annoying. Of course, we're all hoping that was Mangini micro-managing. Time will tell.

13. abyzmul

The double-reverse to Stuckey was a r'tard playcall.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

Meh - it was the kind of play that would have looked genius if it picked up a huge gain and looked dumb because they shut it down. I can see the logic in trying to catch them over pursuing when we're backed up there.

I'm more concerned with the overall game plans and lack of adjusting. Passing too much against a poor run defending team when you have a great rushing attack in a snow storm and your QB is injured for example ...

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

on their own 9...

if that is seen in a divisional game at a crucial point in the game I don't see a bright future for the young OC.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i still say that was Mangini, because I don't think Rex will stand for retard game plans like that.

He's too much of a football coach for that.

17. abyzmul

I think it would have looked less genius for Schotty than it would amazing on the part of Stuckey. You run that play 500 times and I think he beats Ed Reed once. He's not fast enough for it.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Right, if Reed stays in position Stuckey is dead in the water. My guess is that the idea was to try and catch them over pursuing in that situation leaving no one over there for Stuckey to beat.

edit:

Funny this should pop up today:

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The risk/reward isn't favorable that deep in your own end, because you're throwing the ball around pretty much on your own goal line against a very aggressive defense.

I'm not sure about Schotty, even after all this time. His O looked all sophisticated and shifty when Chad was running it, even with a bunch of rookies and no running game around him. Then he supposedly had to dumb it down for Favre last year and let him improvise, now he's got a rookie QB with veterans around him. It will be interesting to see how much of the shifting and complexity they keep and how much Sanchez can grasp and use effectively right out of the gate.