When the heck do we start Clowney?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by StreetFighterJet, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

The reason why Clowney should start is not only has he been our most productive WR in preseason and our only deepthreat, but he complements Cotchery's style perfectly. When I say perfectly I don't mean no one can step in and play WR opposite Cotchery better. I mean in our ball control offense it's not wise to have 2 possession WRs on the field who have problems separating from DBs. Because we have a rookie QB under center and no respectable #1 WR we are going to see 8 in the box. DC will have a easier time calling plays against our offense because the ball can only go so far and play as like the Chad Pennington days.

If we have 2 possession wrs starting like say Cotch and Stuckey(who's better suited for slot btw) they will NEVER fear the deep ball and have NO reason to play the safety's into a deep zone coverage away from the LOS. When this happens you will see more zone blitzes and more 5-6 man rushes. Now say we have Cotchery and it the clown out there. As long as he proves he can play vs 1st string NFL defenses, they will have to respect his deep speed and force 1 safety over the top. Now what happens is they can still choose to keep 8 in the box but now both cotchery and clowney in 1 on 1 coverage with 1 safety deep. That's exactly what Cotchery needs to get the job done. Not only that but it will spread the field a little bit for Sanchez who will now all of a sudden see more holes and creases in the defense vs everyone stacking up near the LOS.

See at the end of the day it has nothing to do with how good Clowney is but what type of element and skill set he brings to table that forces DCs to play us a little bit differently. I'm still in favor of trading for a Brandon Marshall but if we cant pull off a trade, this is the best route to take. My .02

2. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I didn't say that, he would certainly add depth though. Hell, so would Tyree. We're going to pick someone up off waivers was my initial point.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your right on the Clowney/Cotch combo having the right combantion of skills. One Deep threat and one posession receiver. It puts the fear of the big play out there but gives you a good underneath option. Add Keller into that mix and I think we will be fine in a run heavy offense this season.

4. ........

........ Trolls

That's the whole point. We'd like to see Clowney start on Saturday against a first team defense so we can actually see what we have there. He hasn't proven a thing, but he's looked good.

5. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Sheesh you really have a vendetta against this guy.

First of all, Collarbone is very easy to break, its considered a freak injury with no ill affects. Adrian Peterson broke his in college. Certainly you are not calling Adrian Peterson "fragile"

Second of all, we need to see what Clowney can do against starters. To deny him this opportunity is ridiculous, he's certainly earned it.

Has Stuckey made any catches this pre-season?!

6. ........

........ Trolls

With Cotchery, Keller, Stuckey, and a ball control, run first offense...I'd be thrilled if Clowney came close to 50 catches.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Agreed. untill he gets his short he can not prove a thing. Now is the time to get him out there and let him sink or swim.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Hell, I'll be happy if any one outside of Cotch and Keller comes close to that number.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I think if Stuckey finds his way back into the slot, and Sanchez starts checking down more reliably, we'll see a decent season out of Chansi.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

We passed 57% of the time last year. I expect taht number to drop to at best around 50%. Maybe even to a ravens like 44% of the time. Last year Masons 80 was the only raven to top the 50 catch mark. Not saying stucky or Clowney will not have good seasons, but I'm not expecting too much out of them.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, but I do have lower expectations than some here do. I just don['t think even a very good performance against second and third stringers translates into much if he's up against another team's starters.

There is also some question about durability.

Despite people who diss the need for quality wideouts, the kind of combo you see in a player like Larry Fitzgerald is quite rare - speed, great hands, durability, downfield blocking, yac. So far I think all we can say we know about Clowney is the speed part.

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

There's a Chansi starts the next game.

13. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Boooooooo!!!!:smile:

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He's proven that he's head and shoulders above the next level of competition below NFL starters, which alone should merit him the chance to prove it against the 1s. Last year he got hurt so it was nobody's fault, there is no reason not to give him a look now.

15. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I'm sorry but you need to really do some research before you post. Clowney is not injury prone first of all, just because he broke his collar bone once doesn't mean that he is injury prone. I have watched every single college game Clowney has ever played, and they kid can flat out catch. I have been saying this for 2 seasons now (you can look in previous threads if you want) that Clowney is a gamer. All his drops have come in practice, and never in a game. At Virginia Tech, he was the best receiver on the team, and that team consisted of Eddie Royal, Josh Morgan, and Justin Harper. And don't tell me that Clowney played against Ravens camp fodder. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were the only starters out during his TD catch, so at worst he was being covered by the back-up safety. What did you want Clowney to do last year, catch 5 passes and 2 TDs in a game he didn't even play in? He has maybe been thrown 10 passes since he's been on the Jets, and at least 4 of them were TDs. I'm not saying the Jets don't need help at WR, but the fact that you are writing off Clowney for doing nothing but make plays for the Jets is beyond my comprehension.

"There's a reason that preseason is considered a joke. People like Clowney are that reason, plain and simple. Primarily, I think the fact that they guy doesn't have good hands (it's been pretty well documented) should be a red flag for a starting receiver on an NFL team."

Pretty well documented? HA! Seems like he has caught ever ball that has been thrown to him in every situation that matters.

16. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Yeah, every ball that's been thrown to him against undrafted scrub corners. This reminds me of the Pete Kendall situation all over again, only this time it's at receiver, luckily. Tannenbaum let Coles go and didn't have a viable alternative, or even a plan of some sort, to replace the lost production. I hope "The Clown" does start on saturday night so I can be proven right -- when he has 2 catches for 8 yards and a broken ankle, I'll be the first person to tell you all "I told you so". If I'm wrong, I'll be the first person to say "You guys were right, I'm an idiot". What's wrong with a little conjecture about the most glaring problem we have on offense?

I think questioning the FO about having only 1 viable receiver on the roster is a pretty good point to make don't you? I've been a football fan (and a Jets fan) for too long to get too excited about an unproven commodity like this. When I see so many of you tripping over yourselves, foaming at the mouth to pump this guy up, I have to question it. Sorry.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Once again how does a broken collar bone make someone fragile? Adrian Peterson broke his in College, is he fragile? Would you not start Adrian Peterson because he broke his collar bone?

You must have a deep threat at #1 or #2, clearly Cotch is not it, nor is Stuckey, so Clowney is the best compliment for Cotch that we have and Stuckey can do most of his damage in the slot, ala wes welker type, how do you not see that?!

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yes you did

Moss is hurt more than Clowney. Moss was drafted higher and costs more... Moss sucks.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^ You've been "had", DevTeam :rofl:

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member