What Kind of Call Was That?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan51, Dec 9, 2007.

1. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

it was the right call when you're 10 - 3, not 3 - 10

2. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I didn't mind the FG is actually made alot of sense since it was 4 and 10 and everyone here knows we were not getting a first down. Hell we couldn't gain a yard on three plays. I just don't understand why we didn't kick the ball deep and use the 3 TO to get good field position.

3. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

or they go for it on 4th and don't make it..

then try to stop them on your own 20 with all 3 timeouts..

either way... lol

4. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

True..but then your asking the offense to go almost the length of the field to get into FG range. I just don't see it as a bad call to go for the FG on 4th and 10...which is like 4th and 50 for this offense.

5. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

yeah but they were facing the worst defense in the NFL

6. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

and that defense was facing the worst offense in the NFL.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I agree. Mangini showed some good creativity here. If our defense rose to the occassion instead of stinking so bad, we might have pulled it out.

Truth - the game was lost long before the 4th quarter. Our
    lines on both sides of the ball continue to suck.

8. MCFADDENJETS07

This Season Is A Nightmare We Are Pathetic! Fucking Notre Dame Would Kick Our Ass....

9. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I'm sure some college teams could but not Notre Dame, they are worst off than we could ever be!!! Charlie needs to go back to being anOC!

10. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

not really.. jets have a better offense than the ravens.. lol

11. Monz13Jets

Monz13Jets New Member

Is there any hope in sight

I have been a Jets fan since I was 7 years old and I am now 44. I have missed maybe missed watching maybe 2 games in all of those years and some things never change. Misery, Misery and more Misery. Pat Leahy, The Mud Bowl with one of our best teams ever, Richard Todd, Roughing Bernie Kosar on 4th and 18, Herm Edwards playing not to lose the Pittsburgh playoff game and now this disgraceful season I just want to puke.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't agree with the end game decisions but I know why he did it. Coaches like to put the game in the hands of their best unit at crunch time in the end. Usually that's the offense or the defense. For the Jets however the best unit by far is the special teams so Mangini put the ball in their hands at the end of the game.

Gonna reiterate here: I don't agree with it but I know why he did it.

13. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

i hear ya but the special teams doesn't make a difference in that situation of the game

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I totally agree, however Mangini is good at grasping at straws.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

What killed me was not the FG on 4th and 10, but the 3 tries for the EZ, instead of try to get closer on 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 10.

Why not get another first and get closer to the EZ in any of those situations?

Yeeesh.

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

That was the real stupidity in Mangina's logic right there.
    Did he really think we were going to get a 2nd onside?
    After the FG it was about the Field position and stopping them with our Timeouts. To not kick it deep made NO SENSE!

And after all is said and done We had 2 coaches who DO NOT practice what they preach.
    I thought I liked Herm but his no balls approach soured. Now Mangina w/ the same thing....

17. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Converting 4th down vs odds of getting another onsides kick....hmmmm... Mangini out smarts himself yet again.

18. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Kicking the FG on 4th and 10? Absolutely the right call. The offense had stalled, the clock was stopped, and we needed points on the board. We had 3 time outs.

Kicking the 2nd onside was a BIG mistake. They should have put them back at their own 20 and given the defence a chance.

Kicking the FG on first down later after the Browns scored again was a big mistake as well. The offense was moving, and with 1 time out left you have to go for the endzone in that situation.

Kicking it away after the last FG. What? If the offsetting penalties don't bring it back, the game is over right there.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said. As for the bolded part, I'm pretty sure they were trying to kick that off a Browns players chest but missed.

20. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Mangini lost me on that call. To not go for it on 4th down was as dumb a move as I have ever seen. And even if, for the sake of argument, that it was the right thing to kick the field goal, it was even stupider to try another onsides kick. You HAVE to kick deep in that situation, and hope that the D can hold to a 3 and out. They still had all their timeouts, so I could at least understand that move, even if I disagreed with it. But the way they handled that whole situation just floored me. I lost all faith in this staff now.