What If Geno Plays Well?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Oct 19, 2016.

?

What do we do with Geno?

1. Let him walk

35 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Prove-it deal

42 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Franchise tag

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Other (explain)

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He wont play well

Red Menace likes this.
  2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Not far. I would have to know a little about Petty before season's end. Fitz is not coming back. And thank God for that. But I don't think Geno is going to make them want to re-sign him.

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Hope Geno does well, I would rather watch Geno suck than Shitz, at least we can throw the long ball, which magically, Chan, opens up the running game

FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

If Geno plays well, he will be a Jet next year, and you can bank on it.
    There are not going to be that many teams in the market for a STARTING QB and if he plays well he will be given at least a chance to compete for that here.

The Jets won't break the bank for him, but they will not have to because he will not be heading into the off season with the same mentality as Fitz did.

The big argument is really what constitutes playing well. Is it just stats, does it include team wins, is it pocket presence,calm and leadership on the field etc.
    I think it more likely than not that he does not play well enough, but I feel like it is a lot closer to 50/50 then most people here who immediately think there is no chance.

Some people think Fitz played really well last year, I didn't. Even with all the TD passes many of which were bail outs by the WR's, like Marshall's this year - other stats like completion %, QB rating, YPA, INTs etc. were evidence of playing more average/okay then really well.
    Also the eye test, for much of the season, basically told the same story if not worse.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The bolded is a fair point, my concern is the schedule, as Jet fans, we should want a QB that can play well regardless of the schedule.

It does not have to be a franchise QB, even though that is the ultimate goal, but what about a good QB if we can't find a franchise QB?

Personally I don't think Fitz or Geno fit the good QB category. Something tells me that the jets will be fooled once again by a softer schedule at the end of the season that will allow Geno to look good against weaker competition, the jets will resign him and when next years schedule comes around and it's a little more difficult we wash, rinse and repeat the whole QB situation.

PulseJet likes this.
  6. BuzzKillington

What if it turns out that cancer is actually good for you?

7. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Let's be honest, Geno is playing for a job with a different team. Why would he want to come back here? This is a team that has drafted two QB's since his arrival and chose to overpay Fitz. The fans and the media have also crucified him, and the second he struggles he'll have everyone crying for Petty/Hack. He'll get a chance somewhere else and he'll be out of the limelight like he wants.

bigbucks24 likes this.
  8. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

That's the luck of this team.
    I didn't know Dan Marino would be a HOF QB, but when we picked Ken Obrien instead of him, I said "We will never have a good QB on this team!"
    I hate that I'm right, I want this team to win a Super Bowl.
    Chan has said Geno is a different QB now compared to the past. I guess we will see.

9. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

What If Geno plays well? What has the guy done to even have anybody ask this question? There's like a one in a billion chance that Geno does that.......

10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

As others have already stated, he won't play well, so it's kind of a moot point.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The better question is what if he doesn't play well? Is Petty in against Cleveland or is it Fitz? If it is Petty then who is number 2 and does somebody get cut? My guess is if Petty ever gets a start this year then Fitz will be number 2 because of his salary and Geno will get cut because it makes no sense to embarrass him by making him the emergency QB.

#91 Don, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Red Menace likes this.
  12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Tough call but I would say the people that felt they needed to resign Fitz, not cut Geno, and draft a 2nd round QB.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No QB is going to get cut during the season. That's just silly. What could possibly be the reason for doing that? The Jets are stuck paying the player for the entire season at this point. If Petty struggles or gets hurt, they need insurance. Hack isn't going to play this season. Barring injuries to Geno and Petty, I'd also be surprised if Fitz plays again for the Jets, but that doesn't mean that the Jets would cut him. Mac would get crucified for such a move, and rightfully so.

#93 NCJetsfan, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    jets_fan likes this.
  14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

They had Abdullah the bust graded higher and "struck gold" by luck, meanwhile I said he's a elite talent since day one yet I'm the stupid one. Ok guy.

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Thanks for jinxing that, jerk.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Chadchrebet likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Geno did OK out there. He may have earned a backup QB job next year.

They really need to start Petty next week. Fitz is useless and Geno getting injured in the first half (if they bring him back to early) gets all of the coaches fired.

If you want Petty to have the best chance to succeed early, Cleveland is it.

NCJetsfan and Section 336 like this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree - won't happen though.

18. James Hasty

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Petty isn't ready ...

20. James Hasty

Neither is anyone else on our roster.