What do you guys think of the AFC East now?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by xeticus, Apr 26, 2009.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the Chiefs had a dominant pass rush ...

He can say whatever he wants. Let's see what happens when there are large mammals approaching him at high speeds with malicious intent.

I think it's crazy to expect the same guy we all saw pre-injury. I'm sure he'll still be good, but I do expect at least some drop off in his production.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

my biggest curiosity is the mental side to handling the pressure in the pocket.

I've heard pitchers say they flinch a little after throwing a pitch if they've ever taken a comebacker to the head.

I wonder if brady will have any lingering mental scars from this.

I'm not implying he's going to be a different QB in ducking out of the pocket or playing scared, but I wonder if when a linemen is near his knees after throwing the ball will he act differently.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's going to be all about mobility and pass protection. If Brady is mobile then the pass protection will probably be able to keep him upright. If he's not all that mobile then he's going to have to learn a different rhythm in the pocket and there's no guarantee that he can do that and still be the same QB.

I'm not saying he's in the position that Daunte Culpepper was in because Culpepper's injuries were worse and his mobility was almost zero in his comeback, however Carson Palmer has never recovered the same zip that he had prior to the post-season knee against Pitt in 2005. That's the first fall through point for Brady: good but not great any more.

4. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

I hate when people say that. He threw for 8000 yards and 54 touchdowns combined in '06 and '07, the two years directly after his injury. On top of that, his injury was arguably more severe and he suffered it in January rather than early September.

5. Br4d

Yeah, but he hasn't been the same QB he was in 2005 before the injury and the Bengals haven't come close to doing what they did in 2005 largely off of his performance. It's a legitimate comparison.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Brady has the best footwork of any QB in the pocket closely followed by Peyton. Will that be affected by the injury? Maybe a little. Yet not as much as some may think. A foot (12 inches) in one direction or a side step to move up around an oncoming defender is what separates the best pocket QB's from the rest. They're not asking him to scramble and run for 10 yards. It's about rhythm and feel and I really don't see either being affected by this injury once he gets some live game action under his belt.

7. Br4d

Brace on knee.

That definitely affects pocket presence. In almost all cases.

8. xeticus

xeticus Member

Also there are some serious pass rushers in the division. With hindered mobility he might be eating the dirt more often.

9. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

Either that, or throwing the ball away alot more. I expect their passing attack to be more of the dink and dunk style when he first got in the league. Beligirl isn't going to put Brady in harms way, and he knows Brady can be very effective with short, quick passes. I would expect more defenders in the box and force him to prove he's OK.

10. xeticus

xeticus Member

I'm really hoping that my Dolphins will blitz him hard this year. I want Joey Porter and Jason Taylor tap dancing over him. I think Brady is the key to the Patriots. And maybe to the division. If Brady goes out who do the Patriots have now? O'Connell? Blitz him, harrass him, chase him around the backfield on that hobbled knee. Make this year a nightmare for him. Brady has a weakness. The rest of the division would be wise to exploit it.

11. NYCBillsFan

If only the BILLS could figure out how to rush the passer..... LOL

Seriously, Shoebel coming back and Maybin in situations gives me more hope, but not nearly enough. I'll leave it to the other two teams in the East that can get to the QB. Unfortunately, we're first to play them.....

12. xeticus

xeticus Member

if I was a Bills fan I'd be happy to even split with the Pats last year. I actually hope the Bills do well against the Pats so that the Jets and the Phins have a blueprint to go by.

13. NYCBillsFan

As a BILLS fans, I'd be happy to split with ANY AFC East team right now......

14. xeticus

xeticus Member

Yeah you guys got jack hammered last year? How does a coach who's only had one winning season ever manage to lose every game in his division and still have a job?
    I'm not complaining but your ownership is screwing you guys by not getting you a good coach. Why isn't he sending flowers and candy to Gruden or Cowher?

15. NYCBillsFan

I don't understand it either. My only guess is that since this is Trent's third year, Ralph Wilson didn't want to screw up yet another QB. Historically QB show what they can do by year 3. With a new coach this year, it would have been tough to assess Trent if he failed. Russ Brandon actually wanted Jauron gone. It was Ralph that brought him back. Alot of people will argue $$$ (mainly because Jauron signed a three year extension when we were 5-1 last season), and there might be some truth to that, but I still think it was more about continuity in order to give Trent the best chance to succeed.

There was talk on one of the BILLS message boards earlier this year about renting some billboard space in order for the fans to woo Cowher. I'd rather see Cowher, but I guess I'll have to wait.

What's going on with Porter? Doesn't he realize he's only giving Belichick cork board material?

#155 NYCBillsFan, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  16. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Interesting, you're obviously suggesting the Bills aren't a threat to any team in the division and I guess that's OK.....cause you said it. But if a division rival fan suggests the same, you have an issue with it. All along my opinion of the Bills is that they aren't very good and for good reason, yet you have a problem with this. How about just accepting the fact that others see what you see and have the right to express that opinion, rather than getting your panties in a knot because they actually come out and say it?

17. xeticus

xeticus Member

I'm from Chicago originally so I remember when Dick Jauron was there. I was amazed that he got the Buffalo job and astounded when he got an extension. Best news ever for a Division rival. I understand the continuity arguement but he's really a mediocre coach. Trent Edwards will never achieve his potential under him.

As for Joey Porter there's one thing you have to understand about him. He doesn't really give a damn. And the Dolphins and their fans despise the Patriots. They might respect their ability but there's an intense loathing of them. Think back to the Knicks-Heat rivalry a few years back.
    The Dolphins have suffered through years of bad coaches and drafts. They were the laughingstock of the league and completely written off. Now they have a good coach, a seriously beefed up roster, they're the reigning division champs and they still don't get any respect. All offseason it's been about Tom Brady being back.

It's not just Joey Porter. Jason Taylor took less money from the Dolphins rather than play for NE. Zach Thomas when he went into free agency publically stated how much he hated that team and could never play for them. The Dolphins loathe them intensely and deeply.

You guys have seen it for yourself. Spygate when Mangini was here and now Rex Ryan talking about not kissing Belichek's rings. I think the entire division is tired of the Patriots. No one is scared of the Patriots enough to watch their mouth anymore. The entire division is hungry and senses weakness. Expect to hear more trash talk. I don't know if it's going to Joey Porter, Rex Ryan or Terrell Owens but emotion is going to be running hot this year.

18. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

19. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

It's not even that anyone is scared or ever were. BB will run it up on you either way and it does not matter if you talked trash or not.

20. NYCBillsFan

It all comes down to presentation. From the minute we started going back and forth, you've been venomous in your attack. It seems some BILLS fan or fans really did a number on you in the past. I honestly don't think I've been all that harsh, except in response to your attacking opinion. If I've offended you, well that was not my intent. You see "heads" I see "tails" but it's still just a quarter. I've had differing opinions with many people, and some even more harsh than yours. Believe me, I'm a big boy, I can take it.

I am very comfortable with people having a crappy opinion of the BILLS. They haven't done the job and they deserve the criticism. The BILLS are far from a laughing stock though. They were 5-1 and then tanked. There were reasons for this, namely conservative play calling. I also think that last year Jason Peter$ really screwed us. Some people will argue that it was managements fault, I blame the player. If I'm wrong, shoot me. This season will answer the debate about Peter$.

And my "panties are not in a bunch". Debate is fine, but this is just football and we are just a couple of guys on the internet presenting our dime store philosophy. We're not curing cancer here. No sense in getting agitated.