What do you guys think of the AFC East now?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by xeticus, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Al13

Al13 Member

the wildcat will move to a new phase now that pat white was drafted and you cant put 9 in the box anymore because you know its a run

2. Al13

Al13 Member

not effective ? a Ricky Williams drop and a poor ronnie brown saved 2 TD?s, no more poor throws now....

3. Al13

Al13 Member

so what we beat the chargers 4 times in a row i think and pittsburgh we play them in week 17 at home when they probably have nothing to play for

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Plus, we have testicles.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are potential cracks in the system at this point. No Pioli to play devil's advocate to Belichik on strategic direction. Brady limping some. The roster generally aging a bit more than you'd think because Belichik won't kick veterans off to give all those draftees some roster time to develop.

I would not be surprised to see the Pats sink into the mud now over the next couple of years. Belichik has never been able to create the kind of success they've had over the last 8 years without Pioli in the back office and a healthy Tom Brady on the field.

50/50 the Pats go 9-7 or worse this year.

6. Dierking

^maybe the most optimistic thing you've ever posted about the Jets, but you're wrong. They drafted what, eight guys? We got three. They let there overpriced talent walk at the top of the market and soak up the conditional draft picks. The Jets usually sign such overpriced talent from other teams, losing picks. Picks translate into depth. We never have any.

Theres a reason why they are always so good. 11 wins without Brady? (And very easily could have been 12 if they won the toss in OT at Foxboro against the Jets). They have a plan and they execute it. The Jets, well, the Jets plan is to get a new plan every couple of seasons.

7. Br4d

Belichik was a pretty crappy head coach before Mo Lewis hit Drew Bledsoe. George Seifert was a pretty crappy head coach when he didn't have guys named Montana and Young QBing for him. Weeb Ewbank was a pretty crappy head coach when he didn't have a healthy Unitas or Namath QBing for him.

People who think the Patriot's dynasty is going to outlast Brady are very likely wrong. And Brady is on borrowed time now.

Before the cap era the Patriots would have held on to Matt Cassell like he was the second most valuable property on the team, which he was.

8. Dierking

Trust me, I want to believe you.

Interesting that Parcells has managed to win with a pretty mediocre roster of QBs.

9. Br4d

Parcells had Lawrence Taylor. That's one of the few non-QB's in NFL history who could make a team a Super Bowl winner in the absence of a great QB. Phil Simms was a pretty good QB but he was not a great one and obviously Hostetler was not.

Ray Lewis in his prime was another of that very small group of players who can push a team over the top from a position other than QB.

10. Dierking

Taylor was an animal, no question. But give BP a ton of credit, too. He also got to the SB with Bledsoe, came excruciatingly close with Vinny and made the playoffs with Quincy Coker. Hell, he almost made the playoffs with Ray Lucas. Pretty impressive.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

AFC East and South are great. The North has the World Champions and the West just sucks.

12. xeticus

xeticus Member

I agree with you that the Patriots dynasty is tied to Brady. No To m Brady, no superbowl rings. And I read somewhere that he's going to be in a knee brace the rest of his professional career. I think that gives an opening to the rest of the division. You want to beat the Patriots? Sack a gimpy Tom Brady early and often.

13. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

It was actually from 5-1 to 7-9...... Last year was a difficult season to watch as a BILLS fan (not to mention the previous 8, ugh!). The BILLS OL will be better this year. Dockery was just a joke, Peters wasn't better, both are gone. I'll admit, Jauron is CRAP. The sentiment in BILLS nation is this year is a win-win for us. We have a young, talented team, with alot of holes filled, a few remaining holes need to be filled, but the core is a good one. If they fail this year, Jauron is gone. Next year's coach inherits a young talented team. If Jauron can get his second career playoff appearance, then we end our playoff drought.

14. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

How do you know the Bills Oline will be better? Even if the Line improves, you have a QB that's never had a winning season as a starter, you have a HC that's had just one winning season as a HC and not with the Bills. The Bills as usual had the worst off season in the division. I don't think the Bills had a good draft, you didn't draft one T this year. The Bills need a pass rush in a division loaded with 300lb monster tackles and what do they do? Draft the smallest DE in the entire draft. The Bills keep getting samller while everyone in the Division keeps getting bigger. I know Bill fans constantly think their team is better than it is, but come on man, how can you ignore what the Bills are doing in a division that is dominated by the 3-4 defense?

Every team (but the Bills of course) knows how to prepare for the 3-4 defense, every team in the division (except the Bills of course) practice against the 3-4 defense and the Bills of course were the only team in the division not to win one single game against a 3-4 defense, do you even watch football? I think TO was a good addition because of his talent, but a bad addition because of his attiutude and his lack of dealing with things when they don't go well. Considering the Bills haven't had things go well in a very long time, what do you think TO will do to a young QB who doesn't throw him the Ball every down?

I think the Bills are poorly managed, poorly coached and poorly owned. You have games in Canada...no one else does. There are just too many issues with the Bills and they have a real tough time time winning games aginst teams that have winning records. I think the Bills are clearly the worst team in the division and have been for a long time. Even when Miami was 1-15 they were still more talented, they were just poorly coached. I think the fact that the Dolphins went from 1-15 and the worst record in the NFL to 11-5 and division champs in one off season proves that. The Bills need a new owner, HC, GM and they need to get out of Canada. They are a long ways from being a top NFL franchise.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Gee tell us how you really feel!

Hey at this point in the offseason every teams fans think they had the best offseason in the league (look at the nuts around here!) like Jeaux, and several other guys who are jetsfans around here. TBJF is one for instance who has decided with all our additions (and subtractions) our record not only will be better by at least 2 games with a rookie HC and at best a QB with 8 starts to his name, or a rookie QB. Fans are way over optimistic this time of the year.

Back to the Bills, their OL last year for the money they were paying Dockery and Peters, can't possibly be worse than last year. Even if the two they replaced them with play just as bad as the the two last year, their line is better simply because they arent paying that much money for shitty players. Also TO will improve them, under three conditions. 1. if he actually cares enough to try, 2. his age hasnt caught up to him and he doesn't lose a step, 3. The team doesnt fall out of the race early, because if that happens Owens will destroy Trent Edwards confidence and you will find him turtling so often its not even funny.

However, I do agree the bills are poorly run, and they are poorly coached. If anything they are a candidate for a proven coach next year, they need a guy who has proven he can coach, they can not go get another unknown commodity. They need a Mike Shannahan, or a Jon Gruden type. That said after the bills go 6-10, they fire Jauron and TO walks they will hire some unknown guy who will fail miserably and force the bills further down the drain. Nothing makes me happier being a central New Yorker than watching them fail miserably and watching these annoying Bills fans hate their lives

16. xeticus

xeticus Member

I agree here. it's the front office that's holding the Bills back. When my Dolphins went 1-15 they lost several games by 3 points or less. Bad coaching and horrible time management took a team with a very good defense and average offense and made it into the worst team in the nfl. The Bills won't become regular playoff contender until they get a better coach. If the Bills front office was smart they'd have a paid lobbyist at Bill Cowher's house offering him money and hookers. Luckily for the rest of the division the Toronto Bills are content with being the Raiders of the East.

17. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Exactly, but to listen to Bill fans the the Bills are playoff contenders every spring. Go to any Bills site right now and there are 3 or 4 threads about how the Bills will make the playoffs. I understand with every off season comes new hope, but with the same coaching and philosphies that lead the Bills to back, to back to back 7-9 seasons how in the world do Bill fans see anything but another losing season?

I'm not here saying the Dolphins will make the plyoffs and we won 11 games and a division title last year. I think Miami could be the third best team in the division in 09 because we are still in a rebuilding process. We are not yet able to draft like the Pats where we can afford to trade down rather than take the talent avalible where we are drafting. Miami is also building a big team, not a small team. We have the toughest off season program on the planet, that I'm 100% sure of and we are not heading into another season with a new staff. Yet with all that I'm not gonna think Maimi is a playoff contender, but many Bill fans think they are? Wow!

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Nothing like the Bills going 5-0 and tanking, but historically, I really hate when the Jets play them, almost more than New England. Only semi-concrete logic to that, but I think Buffalo bothers me more because the Jets tend to get complacent with them all of the time. Can't really explain it.

19. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

The OL line will be much improved. The only 2 of last year's five that are still here are Walker and Butler. Fewell, Dockery, and Peters were terrible last year, all gone. They went out and got Hangartner to play either C or G. They drafted Wood, a nasty C out of Louisville, who can also play G. They also drafted Levitre, which many see as a reach, who can play both G an T positions. Every OL is bright, mean and in shape. Walker will probably move to LT, where he filled in admirably last year in Peters absence, with Butler moving to RT. Hangartner will play C and the two rooks will play G. This line is built for the no-huddle, which plays to Edwards' strength. They have the receivers that they haven't had since Reed and Lofton were here. We drafted a TE in Shawn Nelson who actually can catch the ball. Not to mention that our RB's all can catch the pass out of the backfield. This is exactly the way the K-gun operated during the BILLS Super Bowl run. Expect to see it this year.

On the defensive side, the BILLS were ranked 14th last year. Maybin is going to be a situational player and either play DE or LB this year. I'm fine with that. His upside is better than any other DE or LB on the board at the time the BILLS picked him. Schoebel is coming back. If we can find a replacement for Ellson, were fine at LB. Pisa Tinoimosa is still out there and visiting OBD today. Jarius Byrd is a ball hawk, and the secondary was not the problem last year, so not many changes there.

Special Teams have been at the top of the league for years now, and there's no reason to believe that won't continue, even with the rules changes.

Management is entering it's third year. Russ Brandon has made some smart moves, but to undo the years of crap that has piled up takes time. Brandon actually wanted Jauron gone, but Ralph Wilson kept him. My thought is that this is Trent Edwards third year, and to give him a new coach and new scheme would be more disruptive that helpful. And while ownership maybe not be the best, you must admit, Ralph Wilson is closer to a Bob Kraft than he his to an Al Davis.

And I think you missed the point of the last post. I think we can agree that the glaring weak spot is coaching. If Jauron doesn't get us to the playoffs this year, he's gone. I'm sure they will be plenty of coaches looking to fill the void of a young, talented team. My thought is, if he is gone, don't be surprised if you see Cowher in Buffalo in 2010. If you were in our shoes, wouldn't you be a little excited too? Something happens at the end of the year, we're either watching BILLS playoff football, or we're rid of Jauron. Laugh, but I'll be enjoying my popcorn either way this year.

#79 NYCBillsFan, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  20. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Oh, I know exactly where you're coming from. The Jets always seem to play the Bills just when they're getting on a roll and then bring their "C" game to face them. A lot of the time when that happens, it's the game at the Meadowlands too.